• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bare-knuckles wheel pulling...

Keith_J

VelociT and myself took part in this experiment in bare minimum wheel bearing/brake service. We didn't have a wheel dolly and since there was insufficient driveway width, it would not have worked anyway. Then there was the issue of a 3" octagon wrench...we found a 3-1/2" so I shimmed it with 1/4" thick strips of aluminum. It worked, only the tape used to hold shims in place tore easily.

Using my 4 ton bottle jack, I raised the wheel just off the concrete, then pulled the nuts/lockring/seal and outer bearing. The wheel came off easily, showing a total mess of brake fluid/GAA/GL1 all over the brakes. Multiple cleanings with paint thinner got the surfaces chalky and grease free. Rivet holes were also scrubbed, degreased and prepped. The shoes still had "Rockwell" stickers and still had original mill marks on the heel and toe sections, meaning the 5k on the odo was in fact the actual mileage!

Getting it back together was a bit more troublesome as I couldn't see the brake shoe-drum alignment but once it matched, it went back together just fine.

Now we have 3 more duals to fight but we can use the plywood/PVC pipe method.

Keith_J

Those tards WERE spying on us! Do you have a "no mechanic work" clause?

I wasn't hammering too hard and we were quiet after dark.

velociT

Those tards WERE spying on us! Do you have a "no mechanic work" clause?

I wasn't hammering too hard and we were quiet after dark.
They took the picture for this letter earlier in the week, definitely wasn't us yesterday.

They are calling it waste because it doesn't have an inspection sticker.

Looks like I'm going to my favorite inspection place monday.... :roll:

Keith_J

Hopefully you have some "pull" with your inspection service and not the brakes. I doubt they have a brake testing machine that can handle it. And while it has a firm pedal, if the other 5 sets of shoes are wet with brake fluid, it won't pass. Yeah, had a bad dream about it last night.

Now if you are intending a former military vehicle registration, inspection isn't required. But if not, then brakes and wipers would be the most likely issue with inspection. Tires will pass as will seat belts and horn.

Kwai

Just do the military vehicle registration. You are exempted from having the inspection which should really buffalo the neighborhood assoc nazis. Also, doesn't require you to display a tag. your hood numbers are your registration number.

poppop

A two foot square piece of plywood and four or five short pieces of pipe make a good wheel dolly. Use the jack to get the axle centered and roll the wheels out. If you don't have concrete use a sheet of plywood on the ground for the dolly to roll on.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a great idea Lloyd, after I picked up my truck, I just pulled the wheels off one at a time, and then pulled the hub, did the inspection, and adjustments and put the wheels back on. Maybe took a little more time that way, but I now know the condition of every lug and budd cap on my truck, and I also know the brakes are in good shape.

poppop

Hey Tom

I knew this Duece needed all cylinders rebuilt and new seals so we were after speed. This truck now has a water tank on it and never gets more than five miles from home base so we will deal with lugs when the need arises.