• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Batteries died today

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody likes the "click, click" from the starter solenoid, but after almost six years with these batteries, I'm not surprised. Champion "Trail Blazer" 65-2A, purchased in Oct of 2000, finally gave out.

Made one little mistake, though, decided to try one last time to charge them individually with the 12 volt charger. The batteries seemed to hold the charge, so with one last push on the starter button, the engine comes alive, but didn't sound quite right. I shut it down, and the start motor was still running....I disconnected the jumper lead between the batteries and killed it.
So, my solenoid got fused in the process, guess the low voltage caused an increase in current, which fused the contacts of the solenoid (it's not the start switch, it's okay). aua

I have two extra starter motors with solenoids, so I'll try to fix the damage tomorrow and get two new batteries, which I should have replaced some time ago....

interesting...

Funny this happens to you too...my starter stuck on just a while ago.had to kill mine the same way.turns out it was just the contactor assembly on the back of the solinoid.40 bucks for a replacement solinoid and about a hour and a half of my time and i was good to go.
i should have taken pictures before i threw the old contactor away.it was rather badly melted and chewed up.your batteries might have some life in them yet.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: interesting...

No drain, Mike, checked the specific gravity before charging the batteries individually and they were all over the place, pretty sure the batteries were ready for the grave yard, should have left it alone and just replaced them, that's the moral of the story.

I checked the solenoids I have on the spare starters and they all look a little different, hope I can get one to fit. An hour and a half? Sounds pretty good to me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Better now rather than next week for sure. I'd feel more comfortable making a trans america journey with new batts.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

My thinking for sure...should have replaced them before last trip, they were getting old.
Checking the specific gravity of each cell is probably the best way to know when it's time to replace the batteries before it's too late, but how often does one do that?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the deuce going again.
The aging battery situation had nothing to do with the starter solenoid falure. Just by coincidence did they seem to relate.
The contact plate in the solenoid on the starter had broken off and made constant contact,which caused the starter to run continously.
It could have happened at any time. Couldn't have picked a better spot to break down, my own backyard. :)
Took about six hours all told to put a different starter in, spent a fair amount of time trying repair the original solenoid.
I'll get new batteries tomorrow....

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, these are the same group of guys who tried to talk me into changing the engine in my wrecker with its own crane. I think they're just jealous!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need a jack, Bjorn can change any of his without a jack. Perhaps I'm the jealous one!

it was quik...

ya...an hour and a half...thats how long it took,including a parts run to the local heavy truck shop just down the block.keeping the truck in an industrial park is an advantage sometimes.
i was worried initially that i might break off a starter bolt,as the 6.2's are notorious for that,but everything practically flew apart.the starter must have been worked on at one time,because someone took the precaution of applying neversieze to the starter bolts 8)
It took longer to put it back on than to remove and fix it.though you have a different starter than i do your contactors looked way better than mine did.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: it was quik...

Does anyone know if the solenoid contacts are available and if so where and what is the manufacturer and part number?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

After taking the solenoid apart, I replaced the one burnt contact, which I removed from another starter/solenoid. The plunger with the snapped-off disc didn't fit so I put it all back together and used the other starter after all.
The disc and the contacts are easily replaceable if the exact same parts are used. I have 3 starters and they are all slightly different in design.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Oh the joy of having something break and having the spares to repair it.I think thats what makes this hobby so unique to other hobbies. I think I can speak for Bjorn and myself, between the two of us, there's just not much we don't have for spare parts. Another joy of the hobby is the willingness to share these parts. Getting parts without a fat checkbook is possible in this hobby. Lots of folks have shared with me and I'm trying to give back just as well. I'm slow on shipping as my shipping budget is quite thin but I will share my stuff.

Gatnom

I'd hang on to those contacts. They can be built back up with silver solder, filed to shape, and provide good service for years. Just put them back in the donor so their where they belong and its ready to go next time around. I've had good success on lots of them. Dave

Gatnom

Bjorn: I'd rather find new parts, but necessity is the mother of all invention! Maybe the stud could be machined off of the plunger, a hole tapped into it, and a new one made to attach the copper contact disc to? Maybe it was made that way originally? I love to keep spares of everything I can, and often go to great lengths to salvage something broken. (Plus, I'm cheap). Dave