• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed M35 Versus re-geared M37

SasquatchSanta

I wasn't sure where to put this thread because it involves both M35s and M37s. Since I'm going to lean in favor of the M35 I decided to put it in the hot rod deuce area.

As many of you know, I have both --- a bobbed hot rod M35 and a re-geared hot rod M37. Furthermore, they are the only vehicles I have. I am totally dependant in either an M37 or an M35 for transportation.

Sooo ... what one do I like best AND based on what I now know, what would I build if I could turn the clock back and start all over.

The answer (drum roll please) --- THE BOBBED DEUCE!

I should note that I didn't bob my truck, it's a Jatonka Truck but, if I had it all to do over again --- (building or buying a bobbed deuce versus building an M37 I'd go the Deuce route. If there were to be a next time, I'd bob and build the truck from the ground up versus purchasing it pre-bobbed. This is by no means a negative reflection toward JT. It's just that I'm now comfortable enough with the process to do everything myself.

From a building standpoing I feel a bobbed deuce is easier to build and less expensive to build than an M37 that is capable of running 55 to 60 MPH.

A bobbed deuce with oversized tires and wheels will easily run 60+ MPH. To get an M37 to run close to 60 you have to install 489 gears. By the time you install 489s in both holes and do the prudent/needed bearing replacement and front end parts replacement you're going to have $2,000.00 invested. Then, when you get the 489s installed, the little 230 Chrysler flathead is going to be seriously strapped for power. If you install something that will get out there and run with traffic like a 318 V8 you're then going to have transfer case heat problems. The whole process is like a monkey chasing his tail. Oh! I forgot to mention brake problems with the M37. Also, M37s tend to be older and more beat on that most Deuce Miltis. One of the things that has made my bobbed Deuce such a sweetie was that John started with a good truck in the first place. Good "strong" M37s can be a little hard to find. IMHO

From a pure driving standpoing, I prefer the bobbed Deuce over the M37 Power Wagon. My deuce has power assist steerinig meaning it's a "lot" easier to drive especially in cold weather. The deuce runs better, drives better, sits better, and feels better (all ego aside) than the M37.

The only drawback is that you have to plug in more watts (around 1,900 versus 600) to get the Deuce to start at 25 below.

Also --- with WMO the Multi-Deuce is a no-brainer (in the summertime) from a cost per mile standpoing.

I realize some may disagree with me but this is the way I see it.

I'd much rather drive the Deuce.

Capt.Marion

Well, cool. I'm glad to see a bobbed deuce truly working out. I'll take that M37 off your hands for ya, if you'd like me to...:grin:

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bobbed deuce with oversized tires and wheels will easily run 60+ MPH. To get an M37 to run close to 60 you have to install 489 gears. By the time you install 489s in both holes and do the prudent/needed bearing replacement and front end parts replacement you're going to have $2,000.00 invested. Then, when you get the 489s installed, the little 230 Chrysler flathead is going to be seriously strapped for power. If you install something that will get out there and run with traffic like a 318 V8 you're then going to have transfer case heat problems. The whole process is like a monkey chasing his tail. Oh! I forgot to mention brake problems with the M37. Also, M37s tend to be older and more beat on that most Deuce Miltis. One of the things that has made my bobbed Deuce such a sweetie was that John started with a good truck in the first place. Good "strong" M37s can be a little hard to find. IMHO
Since I happen to like both but am working on a M37 now.....did you ever run the large tires on your M37 with the stock gearing? I have talked to some with stock gears and running the larger Michelins that report being able to do 55mph with a healthy 230 (and not need a bushel basket to sweep up the parts). I could see where 489's and large tires would cut down on the power significantly....

Thanks Ernie,
Chad

bpj911

I have run mine as you describe. 55 is still a challenge to maintain on an incline. I also have a bobbed deuce and an M37. The bobbed duece is better in almost all ways at most everything. However:
You can't just hop in the deuce and leave like an M37. (warmup)
The stink is a bit amazing when cold. (diesel)
The air brake drain is a freakin pain every day.
Heater warm up is slower but once warmed up is actually warmer than my M37.
Climbing in and out is more of a challenge, not bad but it is a factor.
Bed height. This is the biggest drawback if you use the truck. It's freakin tall and I'm not.

Hammer

I personally favor the deuce as well.
BUT, what if you started the project out with the idea of replacing the entire drive train. Engine, tranny, tcase and axles. Be modern and safer. But keep the outer stock appearance (except the bolt pattern on the rims). I personally detest the 318 motor. But there are plenty of other ones that will work in it's place.
Definitely not a true military vehicle then, but it isn't too hard to find an M37 with a blown engine, or missing the drive train entirely.

Of course the bobbed deuce we are talking about had the better engine, power assist steering, and the larger tires. It is pretty far from stock already. But you can at least say that most of it is military issue stuff. Which is always a nice thing in my book.

SasquatchSanta

Oldvw2 Wrote:

Since I happen to like both but am working on a M37 now.....did you ever run the large tires on your M37 with the stock gearing? I have talked to some with stock gears and running the larger Michelins that report being able to do 55mph with a healthy 230 (and not need a bushel basket to sweep up the parts). I could see where 489's and large tires would cut down on the power significantly....
Offhand I can't remember the diameter of the 305 Denman Mohawks that I'm running. They are larger than that stock tires but not huge. The only draw back I know of with running "large" tires is the unsprung weight factor and "possible axle breakage problems. The 4,89 gears take a little stress off the axles. Having said that, Veterans Vehicles sells high strength axles that seem to eliminate breakage at reasonable usage.

bpj911 wrote:

....Bed height. This is the biggest drawback if you use the truck. It's freakin tall and I'm not.
Amen! You called that one right! I forgot to mention that. IMHO a bobbed deuce with large tires is all but worthless as a practical hauler. I've got a 4 ft wide X 1-1/2 ft high X 2-1/2 ft deep box that opens from the side that I keep in the back of the truck, scooted up against the tailgate to haul groceries and the like in. When I drop the tailgate I then drop the side door on the box and I have access to inside, and secure storage. The box can be scooted forward or removed to haul firewood, plywood etc. In practicality, an M105 with 900 rubber behind a bobber works best.

I'm also in a different situation than most people. There is only one stop light within a 40 mile radius of where I live. I'm in an area where I don't have to be in a hurry because I'm already here.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Offhand I can't remember the diameter of the 305 Denman Mohawks that I'm running. They are larger than that stock tires but not huge. The only draw back I know of with running "large" tires is the unsprung weight factor and "possible axle breakage problems. The 4,89 gears take a little stress off the axles. Having said that, Veterans Vehicles sells high strength axles that seem to eliminate breakage at reasonable usage.
Interesting - I thought those kinda looked like the Denmans in your pic. I am still trying to decide what rubber to run on Ol' Blue when I get it back on the road. I'll most likely stay with the 230 and stock gearing for now....just don't want to get flattened by a pulpwood truck the first time I try to take it on the state highway.

Thanks for the feedback!
Chad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks