• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bobbing 1st deuce

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
going 2 be bobbing my first duece have 105 trailer for the bed an front springs an hangers sure this has been said many times but to make my life easier does anyone have the measurements like how much to cut off the frame an where to place the spring center. i could figure it out but so nice to hear from people that have done it already thank u. truck is a 71 m35a2 normal length

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bobbed mine shortening the stock bed so my measurements would not apply. But remember, the fire wrench is your friend. Good luck.

jamesfrom180

:roll: Ok here's a hand out.
That search button up top sucks...We all know this. Click on "advanced search" enter this in the box "bobbed and 105" don't use the quotation marks and plenty of entries will arise. I recommend the ones that were started by 100dollarman. I believe there is one here that was done on bobbing a duece that is excellent done with one of the apple programs for the write up and lots of pics. Good luck and let the flaming begin. [thumbzup]

Billy Bobbed

I cut 37" off my frame,still have the piece of frame.The fun part about the whole bobbing was taking everything off the back of the frame and redrilling the holes,and putting it all back together.Have fun [thumbzup].

Last edited:

ranchhopper

I cut 34 inches off all the ones I did always measure from the back of the frame I always put the rear bumperettes back on the truck if your not going to use them subtract 11 inches from the 34.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drilling the holes is a real challenge. I finally went with drilling a smaller pilot hole and then expand it to the size wanted using a step drill. The step drill makes short work of the frame holes. Sometimes you have to drill one side and then go to the other side because the step drill is not quite deep enough for the deuce frame.

WeBeJeepin

I moved my leading axle back exactly 5 inches. I put a mark on the frame (using a carpenter square) at the original center of axle and then measured back 5". I had my driveshaft lengthened exactly 5 inches. I had to cut out part of the center upright off of the front side of the M105 bed to make it fit just right and not have a huge gap between the cab and the bed. I dont remember exactly how much I cut off the frame in the back but I would highly recommend the 'measure twice, cut once' saying. Another thing I learned from experience: make sure you have a thick enough plate beween the lowest spring and the top of the axle so that the axle is not sitting on the bolt head that runs through the stack of springs. John

WeBeJeepin

By the way, I just finished with the major work a couple weeks ago so let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them while it is fresh in my mind. PM me if you want to know how I attached the truck frame to the trailer frame because I am scared to say it in front of everybody on here ;-)

ApopkaFL

Banned
I had a chance to inspect the trailer springs I was not really happy with them. I plan to start my bob M35A3 this weekend. I found a donor truck for the tub ( for the 4 door ) and the front springs off the A2. That is what I plan to use. I can not say how much of the frame is coming off untill the other cab is put on. I do know its going to be a short bed. So I dout any of the frame will have to be cut off.

Rodman

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I moved my leading axle back exactly 5 inches. I put a mark on the frame (using a carpenter square) at the original center of axle and then measured back 5". I had my driveshaft lengthened exactly 5 inches. I had to cut out part of the center upright off of the front side of the M105 bed to make it fit just right and not have a huge gap between the cab and the bed. I dont remember exactly how much I cut off the frame in the back but I would highly recommend the 'measure twice, cut once' saying. Another thing I learned from experience: make sure you have a thick enough plate beween the lowest spring and the top of the axle so that the axle is not sitting on the bolt head that runs through the stack of springs. John
This is exactly why I lengthened my driveshaft 5.75". I did not trim the trailer box and got it as far forward as possible.

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

I use my plasma cutter to do a quick blast pilot hole and then drill them out to size.

TJP

Webejeepin,

Do you have any pics of the M105 bed mod, I am getting ready to bobb also and would like no gap between the cab and bed. I have seen many bobbed duces that looks like the bed does not sit over the back axle in the center.

Thanks
tjp

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Webejeepin,

Do you have any pics of the M105 bed mod, I am getting ready to bobb also and would like no gap between the cab and bed. I have seen many bobbed duces that looks like the bed does not sit over the back axle in the center.

Thanks
tjp
You will need at least a small gap between cab and bed. Lengthening my driveshaft 5.75" allows for the M105 bed to be located as far forward as possible with but a .75" gap from the cab mount. There is not much space between the cab mount and bed and without cutting/modifying the bed. I used a set of front springs/parts I purchased from an SS member and a bolt kit from www.easternsurplus.net

I like the way mine turned out!

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Webejeepin,

Thanks
tjp
If you have not started yet a little tip. When you are tourching the side plate off blow all of the rivets off not just the ones that hold it to the frame. Use a axe and a sludge. ( I love it when some say I use a chisel) no no. Put the axe between the frame and plate on top inbetween the rivets and smack that sucker right off. If you have not done the inside rivets that are in those little pocketts then do those. ( this is fun because it a hard place to stand /sit/ be up side down trying to work torch in a hole) After you have everything disconnected now with the side plate removed you take the axe again and inbetween the frame and rear tandem mounting bracketts wedge and smack. It's easer to do it and hard to do this with the side plate still there. Move the axe head to different spots working up and back till it drops loose.
Now after you drop everything retourch what little is left of the rivets flush with frame then air hammer to drive out the rivet.
Also drilling the Deuce frame is not problem. You want to try a hard frame try and drill a 5 ton frame. There you need a magnet base drill press and annular bit at 70 bucks a piece.

Last edited:

TJP

Thanks for all the input and info, I will take all the advise and put it to good use.

Thanks Again
TJP

WeBeJeepin

Sorry I haven't responded to you question about the bed, but the truck is at our shop at work and I keep forgetting to take pictures for you. I torched part of the center support of the M105 bed off and it looks really good with the 5" lengthened driveshaft. I tend to be a little torch-happy when it comes to things like that. I need to get some pictures for you with the mounted bed. It looks great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks