• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Both headlights failing intermittantly

Autonomy_Lost

Was driving at night today, pitch black, and my headlights flickered when I hit a bump. About 20 seconds later, they went out completely. I toggled the headlight switch on and off a bunch of times but they would not turn back on. I didn't think of trying to switch to high beams, so I never tried that. The marker lights continued to function fine. Luckily I have some really bright auxiliary LED lights, so I was able to get home safely.

When I got home I played with the headlights again and could not get them to work.

About an hour later, I decided to try them again. They worked perfectly. Low beams, high beams, no issues.

Intermittant problems are the worse. Anyone experience anything like this? Is there a common failure mode for hmmwv headlights?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the grounds first. They have a habit of corroding on all of the lights. Then check the other bullet connectors as well, both the headlight side, and the engine side of the hood. Definitely add some dialectic grease as well.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

I would suspect the dimmer switch as it is the only thing that can short and not short every other light out.

Autonomy_Lost

I would suspect the dimmer switch as it is the only thing that can short and not short every other light out.
Are you referring to the button on the floor for high beams? I did notice that it is getting hard to click on and off lately. Maybe its on its way out.

Autonomy_Lost

It's definitely the dimmer switch. It happened again tonight, so I tried tapping the side of the dimmer switch with my foot. I could make the headlights flicker on and off just by wiggling the switch. Mystery solved!