• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brainstorming a few ideas/daily driver

DragonFighter83

I'm looking for some information and (being new to the site) don't know where to go. I'm looking at making a M35 or M36 my daily driver. I need to make some modifications. It's more of the capabilities of the multi-fuel and multi-wheel drive I'm after. With a family I need a quad-cab truck. Is there a production truck that can accept the engine and drive train (down to the axles) of the M35 series? Or am I better off starting with a M35 and applying a truck body to it? Last but not least, are there any other members you can refer me to on this topic? Driving it everyday plus having my family in it, I'm looking to add some more up to date safety and comfort. This has been an interest of mine since being on duty at the firehouse during Hurricane Mathew, and trying to get home the day after. This is just the start of an idea but it will help me better direct my efforts. Thank you for your time

Eliteweapons

I believe you are looking for the wrong vehicle for the task at hand. M35s are not really a daily driver vehicle. I drive mine a few times a week but I would not want it as an everyday driver. You should look for an suv. If you are looking for a military vehicle an M1009. If you want a get me anywhere I want anytime I want to get there then get an M35 and an suv.

Just my two cents

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to haul the family around with an M35 as a daily driver you are definitely looking at the wrong vehicle.

The only thing even close to what you are talking about is BBQROD's chopped school bus chassis with a Deuce cab on it and that wouldn't have the safety features you seek.

If I wanted something big and capable as a daily driver I would get a conventional road tractor (KW or Pete) with a sleeper and put seats in the back or get a used MXT:

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/0705dp-international-mxt-truck/

DragonFighter83

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. Yes, the international MTX would be awesome. That is if I could get one for under 10k lol. That is about what I had in mind just no where near as shiny or luxury. My big reason to start with a deuce (other than the "true" multi-fuel) was price tag. I'm looking at a starter vehicle now that would put me around 5k total on the road. Then the work would start. I do have a friend of the family that deals in vehicle salvage. Along with a good supply of waste oil.

DanM7890

The only way I see that price happening is if you build the truck yourself. Someone that has a truck built already and is a quad cab can get pretty pricey.

Barrman

I am going on almost 15 years now of daily driving some kind of MV to work just about every day. Most family trips too. I would caution you that they are probably not the best choice, they break, they are not user friendly, they leak, you cook in the summer and freeze in the winter most of the time too. I have several and try to match what I drive each day to the weather and what I need to do.

One trip to town in a M35 for errands will convince you joining a gym is less of a work out and a lot easier. Forget drive thru's. no ATM access unless you are sitting on the running board, if you clear the overhead. Groceries will move themselves 10 feet from where you left them in the bed. Put a few bags of dog or horse feed in there and it is a work out. It is often wise to take up 4 parking spaces so some idiot won't park right next to you leaving no exit route.

That is the bad. Good can be anything you make it. I enjoy them. But, the advice above about a medium duty vehicle is very good advice. Oh, finding a M35 with more than 2.25 seating that is daily driver ready for $5K is kind of optimistic as well.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 100k the IH should have had a bigger motor. My 2009 GMC has a six speed Allison and more tq./hp than that tweeked. PT Barnum said it correct.
Agreed not a daily driver with family.

DragonFighter83

Oh of course It would be a self-build. The Deuce I'm looking at is stock. For dealing with the size of the vehicle, my work truck is a 105' aerial all good. Here recently we started getting trucks that have decent AC lol. If I can make it a crew cab. Get some decent seats with 3-point belts and a roof mount AC. Really all I'm looking for, oh and door locks.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh of course It would be a self-build. The Deuce I'm looking at is stock. For dealing with the size of the vehicle, my work truck is a 105' aerial all good. Here recently we started getting trucks that have decent AC lol. If I can make it a crew cab. Get some decent seats with 3-point belts and a roof mount AC. Really all I'm looking for, oh and door locks.
Locking doors is easy, and not that this is the only vendor source for them either:
http://www.thosemilitaryguys.com/truck-locking-door-handle-kit/

However, the internal door mechanisms aren't known to be very robust, and the door glass is somewhat easily broken. It only stops the casual and curious.

Safety? Well, the constantly over looked part of M35A2 ownership is the single circuit brakes (minus the very newest or "Air Force" A2 models). If I were you, I'd get an M923 or M1078. They cost more, but you're getting more.

I love my deuce and a half. I love what I've made of it, I love how it looks, and I love it for what it is. However, knowing what I know now, I might have started somewhere else. Then again, those other trucks weren't quite as readily available as they are now when I got into the hobby... I understand when ya want to get started now.

I'd sell my deuce, but with all the investments (time, money, and attachment), I'd likely never get enough out of it to make selling worth it.

No matter what, WELCOME to the site and hobby! If you don't do major modifications, you could easily get into the hobby with a deuce and a half, learn what you like and what you don't and resell it for something else in the future. That way you could get started now, and if things work out, GREAT, but if not, the learning was still very fun and valuable.

Last edited:

DragonFighter83

Thank you Valence. All very fine points. I was hoping to fine if there was a production truck (be it an old f-350 or even a 600 or 700 series truck) that could fit all the best parts of the Deuce. Or even the other way around, to start with a Deuce and place one of the fore-mentioned bodies to it. Many of the previous replies are very correct, Yes a MTX is almost what I'm going for. If someone replied "yes a 1996 F-350 man. trans. will work with the multi-fuel and the Rockwells" I would be looking for a Clean Title '96 F-350 and a salvaged Deuce. The same idea if the F-350 Crew-cab fits on a M35A2 or M36. I know the Deuce has 0% luxury, and 10% security. That's the things I'm wanting to work around. I haven't started (short of saving some money) at all, but I'm looking to make my start in the right direction. Because I can't afford not too lol.

rustystud

Thank you Valence. All very fine points. I was hoping to fine if there was a production truck (be it an old f-350 or even a 600 or 700 series truck) that could fit all the best parts of the Deuce. Or even the other way around, to start with a Deuce and place one of the fore-mentioned bodies to it. Many of the previous replies are very correct, Yes a MTX is almost what I'm going for. If someone replied "yes a 1996 F-350 man. trans. will work with the multi-fuel and the Rockwells" I would be looking for a Clean Title '96 F-350 and a salvaged Deuce. The same idea if the F-350 Crew-cab fits on a M35A2 or M36. I know the Deuce has 0% luxury, and 10% security. That's the things I'm wanting to work around. I haven't started (short of saving some money) at all, but I'm looking to make my start in the right direction. Because I can't afford not too lol.
You say you cannot afford much, well if you get into the deuce then you "will" be needing money ! I bought mine for $2800.00 and have put almost $6000.00 into it now. Maybe much more. It was in great shape too when I bought it from the government. Yes I have modified mine to make it more road worthy and more comfortable but basically I just made it into a more modern truck. Any modern truck would have all that from the beginning. No need to add anything to them. If money is a concern and you need the most bang for your buck then get a 1980's to 1990's medium service truck. Parts will be readily available and so much cheaper ! It will have modern brakes and power steering. Plus it will have a modern diesel engine and transmission that makes a whole lot more power and is easily repaired by any shop. It will also have a lot less rust too I'm sure. Most of the service trucks can seat up to six adults and will have four wheel drive. When I was still working for IHC in Seattle they sold hundreds of them to the power company and other utility companies. Not to mention the Alaskan pipeline people. Those where some serious trucks ! I have seen these types of trucks being sold for under $4000.00 just recently. This would be a better return on your money then a outdated military truck.

gerrykan

Somewhere on the internet I remember seeing a Ford crew-cab on an M35 chassis.
Early 1990's body, with modified Ford bed with two wheel wells I think.
I don't recall if he kept the multi-fuel or repowered it.

I have no idea where to look for it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 100k the IH should have had a bigger motor. My 2009 GMC has a six speed Allison and more tq./hp than that tweeked. PT Barnum said it correct.
Agreed not a daily driver with family.
Anything can be re-powered James, I just like the looks of the trucks. I first saw one at the dealer when they first came out when I was in Indianapolis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks