• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes Draining air tanks

w3azel

So I just changed my rear axle to a single for my crew cab build. Built a power bleeder and did the whole system no issue till I drove the truck. When I hold the brakes the air system drains. Found a small leak in the system, fixed it re-bled the system but still nothing. I can press the brakes and watch the pressure drop from 90-60 in 4 sec all the way to 30 and then it holds. The brakes don't give out though and its not emptying the master cylinder.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Did you modify the air lines that go to the back of the truck at all?

A guy I know had his deuce turned into a bobbed deuce and the company that did the conversion actually hooked the "service" line into the "emergency" line!

w3azel

O now I feel like an idiot. Trailer brake air valve was turned on. I thought perpendicular would be off but I guess it has to be parallel. For some reason I didn't mess with the emergency line. Thanks guys, I was about to rip into the air pack cause I couldn't find where the hissing was coming from.

Jeepsinker

That's how I felt when I first got my truck. Was trying to put air in my tires with a gladhand air hose and had it connected to the service gladhand instead of the emergency gladhand. Kept wondering why I could hear air moving when I pushed the chuck onto the valve stem but the tire pressure was getting lower every time I checked it. We all have our moments.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty sure that this is the first time that has EVER happened to anyone on this site. ;-)

(Two weeks ago.....)

Dipstick

Well, some people flop deuces on their side, and some of us accidentally drain tires. I suppose that I've made my mark here now. Hahaha.
And some amongst us sink jeeps! Reminds me of the time I was sitting embarrassed in the middle of a parking lot with a non-moveable truck thinking my clutch had gone south. Then, I realized I had inadvertently bumped the transfer case handle into neutral. What a relief that was.

prep 1355

What kind of brake fluid do I put in the do some have master cylinder when I bleed it What is compatible with the military brake fluid

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty sure that this is the first time that has EVER happened to anyone on this site. ;-)

(Two weeks ago.....)

And again today!! What the heck. I suddenly forget everything because I have driven the truck in a month? Doh!!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of brake fluid do I put in the do some have master cylinder when I bleed it What is compatible with the military brake fluid
Beware of DOT 5.1; use only DOT 5 (silicone brake fluid). 5 & 5.1 are NOT the same! Just read an article on one of my Dodge Cummins sites, 5.1 is approved for Dodge trucks as it interchanges with DOT 3 & 4 with a higher boiling point than either of those (of course you want to flush out the old stuff completely, not advisable to mix different grades).

I've mixed off-the-shelf NAPA DOT-5 silicone brake fluid with the leftover military surplus BFS; it all turns the same color when mixed together and works great. You can tell when water/moisture gets into it when bleeding your brakes, the moisture will be the black droplets that fall to the bottom of the bleeding canister.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks