• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Brand New" 1988 MEP-003A's

EnteJager

I recently had the honor of winning 2 MEP-003A's with 2.3 & 2.1 hrs on them.
I know what you are thinking, just a repainted piece with a new hobbs, that's what I thought, so I didn't bid on the first 10 that went up on GL back in Nov.

I went to pick up another genset I had won and asked the guy in the yard what the deal was with those clean looking MEP-003's that went up the week before. He said they looked new, and someone had defaulted on 2 of them so I could have a look myself, he said they would be going up again.

I was amazed at what I was looking at, there before me sat 2 New Old Stock Mep-003's. They have 2.3 and 2.1 hours on them. Every single bolt, nut, screw, washer, rivet, and wire is brand new and shinny.

Both gensets are mounted on the original shipping pallets from the factory. Both came with the original form DD2408 ( log card) with the QC stamp from the Army Inspector who did the initial acceptance, signed and dated.
The DD2408's correspond to the times on the hobb's from the date of inspection.
Both came with the longterm storage checklist, filled out and signed.
Both have preservative oil and are tagged as such.
Both have Fuel system drained tags. Tanks are shinny new.
Batteries are dry and have not had initial service.
Even has that new car smell.

As it turns out, there were 10 of these gensets that were in a "WRRSK" kit, most prior service should know what that is. "War Readiness Resupply Kit"
Front line units during the cold war had equipment in duplicate stored in case the balloon went up in Europe and critical items were needed to sustain operations without having go thru normal supply channels.

Anyway, these gensets were purged from the system and here they are,
note the fuel lines and fittings.:-D

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!!

Congrats, that is a fantastic find. I'm willing to bet they brought a premium price though.

rat4spd

Really. though Speddmon, what price would you pay for a new set like that? A premium they probably went for, but I'm sure it was worth it for what you get.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 of timtrucks 3KW diesel gensets in my garage waiting transport to his house. They both have less than 2 hours each and are flawless.:roll:

EnteJager

I have 2 of timtrucks 3KW diesel gensets in my garage waiting transport to his house. They both have less than 2 hours each and are flawless.:roll:

Don't be a hater.:roll: If you look hard enough you can find an occasional jewel.
Look at the pictures, they don't lie............

I'll post the paper work when I get home.

EnteJager

What ever the market will bear is the going price.
In the mid to late 80's .gov paid over 13,600.00 for these. In 2009 dollars I figure that is close to $20,000 a copy. To find one in this condition, to me was well worth the price.
here is some documents that were taped to the 1st unit in a plastic bag:

TM 5-6115-585-12

Change #4 for same TM dated 30 Nov 1983

DA form 2258 Preservation and Depreservation guide for vehicles and equipment.

DA form 2408-9 original equipment control record (Log Card) with acceptance
signature and stamp from Defense Contract Administration Services Management Area (DCASMA) St. Loius, MO

A few more pictures;

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks