• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

buying my first deuce

waayfast

The data plate on the dash should have the numbers.There is also the number stamped on the frame--drivers side above the steer axle.Sometimes hard to see because of coats of paint/grease/dirt.

500.00 would be a steal if you could talk them down to it.750.00 to 1000.00 would still be a deal.The parts on it are worthat least that.

Last year we bought a very unique toy for 500.00.Very good deal--but it cost us close to 3500.00 to get it home(4000 mile round trip and WE hauled it). Your truck being 500 feet from your house would be the record on here for the shortest recovery!!! That saves alot of money/time and worry!!

If it were me ,I'd grab it.

scott07

I really hope they will sell it! I talked to a neighbor of the dept. and he said that when he moved here in 2006 it was there and it hasnt moved an inch.

Well here is a pic of the data plate, sorry it isnt very good

Attachments

scott07

well i talked to the chief and he said it was loaned by the conservation to be made into a tanker but they never used it. So he said they might sell it to me or have go through the auction

markmontana

chief and he said it was loaned by the conservation to be made into a tanker but they never used it. So he said they might sell it to me or have go through the auction
They might sell it to you, and you might buy it from them, but if it was loaned to the fire dept, the sale could and probably would be void and you would have to give back the truck. I say this only so that if you do buy it, you get your family lawyer to draw up a contract that covers you and get's your money back when they come knocking.

Come to think of it- with all time and effort you will put into the truck- you could never recover your investment. Buy it ONLY from the legal owner!
2cents

Akicita

Scott,
Ask the fire department if they have the title to that truck.

If they do and if it's in the name of the FD, they can sell it to you and you can become the legal owner.

If the title is in someone else's name, then the FD can only legally sell it if they are the agent of the title holder.

If they don't have the title, beware !

I was interested in a Deuce a FD in New York state wanted to sell. I found out that truck had never been titled and lost interest right then. I do not want to spend month and month trying to get a title.

I wish you good luck.
Jeff

iamhere

Let me throw out a few things on this "find".

First of all, I am the Chief of the Lanton Volunteer Fire Department, located just south of West Plains Missouri, the department pictured and mentioned in this thread.

I am also the person who mows the grass at the station. (Chief Cook, Bottle washer, and grass mower). I never have had a conversation where we suggested in any way, shape, form, or manner that we would ever sell that truck, nor have I ever mentioned a price.

We do not own the truck. The truck, like one of our tankers, and both of our brush trucks, are on loan through the Missouri Department of Conservation through the FPP program. We participate in that program, as well as the FEPP program, both of which are available to Fire Departments in all states. (Some states may not have both programs)

Comments about bewaring of deals with my department, etc are not valid in any way, as there has NEVER been an offer of sale of this truck, nor any other truck used or owned by our department. Vehicles we have through the Department of Conservation have always been turned back in to DOC in accordance with state and federal law, and vehicles we own are always donated to departments that are needier than us (Amazingly, there are departments out there that are more needy than us!)

The original poster has contacted us 2 May 2010, via facebook and was advised that the truck did NOT belong to us, and that he would have to contact the Missouri Conservation department to find out what would happen to it when we turned it in, (normally an auction process) and we provided him with the telephone number of the office within the department to contact.

Finally - care should be taken when checking out vehicles that are parked. Climbing into a vehicle, no matter what your intentions, can be construed at a minimum trespassing, or worse. Our phone number is are listed, and fire departments are normally more than happy to show off equipment and stations, but only when we know about it.

markmontana

Hey Chief- glad you added your comments. This post looked a little unusual to say the least. You'll find most folks on here are careful and like to do things right. Best of luck to you and your dept.

zout

AH - like Paul Harvey used to say - "the rest of the story".

Thanks for the info Chief and welcome with the posts.
Appreciate the post and informed detail of what occured.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott07, you have 3 threads going about this truck. In each one, Iamhere has pointed out your information appears to be incorrect.

Do not start a 4th thread on this truck. Get the facts straight before you continue. Your posting looks very suspicious to me.

iamhere

And I don't intend any ill will towards Mr Scott, I suspect we all have succumbed to youthful .... "Exuberance" at one time or another.

I do fear that climbing into other people trucks without permission could result in bad things happening at some point. Many of the farmers that own these trucks in this area would meet him at gunpoint, law enforcement would be the easy solution.

Insofar as these posts, people who understand the FEPP/FPP program, even people who work in the program read this forum, which is something that Steel Soldiers should be proud of. When they read about a fire department that has a loaned piece of equipment that alleged to be offering it for sale, alarm bells quickly go off, and they should go off.

You can imagine what happens then.

Thanks for all the support!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks