• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cadillac Valve & TDM Keeps Burning Out

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
stay away from electric fans…it’s been proven for 20yrs they do not work on this truck.
I lost count on the number of trucks I’ve removed these stupid cooling fans guys stick on the radiator stack, they block airflow, the best fan is the OEM fan.
I'm looking for electric fan CLUTCH, not electric fan Steve.

EDIT- I just saw the prior posts and I realized you were not referring to me Steve when you were talking about electric fans

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

Following. About to drop 300$ on hoses for this dumb fan set up. Would totally go with @Retiredwarhorses solution.
Have an 1165a1
Yea, next time my cadillac fail, I'm going with that solution, but are you guys all comfortable with 220 degrees operating temperature? Even with my aluminum radiator and paradox cooling kit, my temperature stay at 220 degrees. One thing though, the fan barely turns on with these upgrades, I just always found it strange that these trucks run that hot with the fan system being completely operable. Back when my cadillac was broke and my fan stayed on always, my truck would run at 180-190 degrees which seems like a good temperature range.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your dash thermostat and accurate temperatures are two separate things. A laser thermometer is more accurate.

If you upgrade to a hydrostatic clutch, you can bend the spring to modify it to turn in at lower temps.
You should also clean your stack and use a 180 degree radiator valve. Clean your radiator if you suspect it is old and full of crud.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, next time my cadillac fail, I'm going with that solution, but are you guys all comfortable with 220 degrees operating temperature? Even with my aluminum radiator and paradox cooling kit, my temperature stay at 220 degrees. One thing though, the fan barely turns on with these upgrades, I just always found it strange that these trucks run that hot with the fan system being completely operable. Back when my cadillac was broke and my fan stayed on always, my truck would run at 180-190 degrees which seems like a good temperature range.
Oh, you mean it’s operating as designed…I have had Diesel engine trucks all my life, my 2020 Duramax runs 220 all day under any load.
You need to learn how diesel engines work before you and anyone decide to try and make them run at 180 operating temp.

Hummer Guy

Your dash thermostat and accurate temperatures are two separate things. A laser thermometer is more accurate.

If you upgrade to a hydrostatic clutch, you can bend the spring to modify it to turn in at lower temps.
You should also clean your stack and use a 180 degree radiator valve. Clean your radiator if you suspect it is old and full of crud.
Make sense, these gauges are known to be off, I have to tap my oil gauge for it to show the correct pressure. The cooling stack is almost brand new, I replaced it about 6 months ago

Hummer Guy

Oh, you mean it’s operating as designed…I have had Diesel engine trucks all my life, my 2020 Duramax runs 220 all day under any load.
You need to learn how diesel engines work before you and anyone decide to try and make them run at 180 operating temp.
I get that on the newer Duramax since their thermostat open up at around 210-220 degrees, the thermostat on the 6.5s open up at 195 and still climb all the way up to 220 degrees, even with normal driving in fairly cool weather. I've heard quite a lot of chevy truck users with the 6.5 say it runs best at 180-195.

I've also heard from multiple people saying the 6.5 in the Humvee only run at such a hot temperature to burn other fuel sources easier

87cr250r

I am an operator of marine diesel engines. I have made some observations with regards to temperatures. It's generally understood that higher engine temperatures do result in lower cylinder wear rates. I believe the wear is a result of corrosion due to condensation in the crankcase.

With the advent of aftercooling, diesel engines sometimes require low temperature cooling circuits. Our big engines have coolers dedicated to aftercooling and jacket water. Our small engines take a few different approaches.

Caterpillar wants us to run sea water cooling so they can use it for their aftercooler. We despise Caterpillar small engines (7-9 liters) for this and a few other reasons.

John Deere runs their thermostats at 160°F. This isn't ideal for the cylinders, out engines suffer from light loading as well. They run flawlessly but also offset their fuel burn with lube consumption.

As an operator, despite the wide range of temperatures manufacturers set for their engines, I've never really noticed any differences.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get that on the newer Duramax since their thermostat open up at around 210-220 degrees, the thermostat on the 6.5s open up at 195 and still climb all the way up to 220 degrees, even with normal driving in fairly cool weather. I've heard quite a lot of chevy truck users with the 6.5 say it runs best at 180-195.

I've also heard from multiple people saying the 6.5 in the Humvee only run at such a hot temperature to burn other fuel sources easier
I’ve read these truck are more efficient about 210 BUT I prefer not cracking heads and blocks.

As usual RWH/ Steve is absolutely correct.

Hummer Guy

Is it normal for the fan to partially engage? I notice with this new cadillac valve, my fan partially engages around 225-230 and shuts off at around 190. My other cadillac valve had always fully engaged the fan, This was with my old radiator though, the temp usually would never drop and stayed at 220 even with the fan engaged, maybe that one stayed fully engaged because the old radiator couldn't keep up?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it normal for the fan to partially engage? I notice with this new cadillac valve, my fan partially engages around 225-230 and shuts off at around 190. My other cadillac valve had always fully engaged the fan, This was with my old radiator though, the temp usually would never drop and stayed at 220 even with the fan engaged, maybe that one stayed fully engaged because the old radiator couldn't keep up?
Fan should be either all or nothing. Comes on, cools engine, turns off.
The newer fans (A2 variant or newer) are redesigned to be quieter than A0/A1 trucks, so if it's just the sound you're basing the "partial engagement" on, I wouldn't worry.
Sounds like your old cooling system just wasn't keeping up.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fan is ether on or off, no "partial" mode, how do you know it is partially engaging? If it is the fan clutch will soon burn up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks