• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California registration experience.

maxtor

M923a2
After receiving paperwork from GL, I went down to our local DMV. They said I need two more things.
1. California certified weight certificate.
2. Vin verification from the CHP.

Tomorrow I get it weighed, and by next Friday I should have it looked at by the CHP. Since it might be a 1984, I am trying to get it registered as Historical.
California says after 25 years, they can be registered as Historical.
I am keeping my fingers crossed.

cpf240

Just beware of any usage restrictions that come with an Historical registration. There may be yearly mileage limits, as well as not hauling cargo, personal or otherwise.

quickfarms

I did a typo above. I meant to write 1989.
The form 97 shows 1989.
It is not historic yet. You have to wait until next year before the computer will accept it, this is per the historic vehicle registration unit in Sacramento.

Do not take it to the CHP unless you have a moving permit, insurance card and a class B CDL.

11BC2

My plan, per Queen Commercial Officer that I'm working with:
1. Remove lead rear axle.
2. Remove weight data tag and retain.
3. Get air brakes recert'ed for less weight.

No special license, endorsement, CA number, BIT inspection necessary.
Might have to maintain a log book if driven over certain hours/miles per day/trip.

quickfarms

My plan, per Queen Commercial Officer that I'm working with:
1. Remove lead rear axle.
2. Remove weight data tag and retain.
3. Get air brakes recert'ed for less weight.

No special license, endorsement, CA number, BIT inspection necessary.
Might have to maintain a log book if driven over certain hours/miles per day/trip.

Fist question, what year is your truck?

Second what do you intend to use it for?

Third what agency is this commercial officer with?
The issues with this plan are

1 you will need commercial insurance which is very expensive, one year for the current vehicle will probably run what you paid for it.

2 you will need to register with CARB and due to the fact that the engine is not a 2010 or newer you will be limited to 1,000 miles per year, may get raised to 5,000 miles per year. This is a couple of other exemptions for contractors.

3 if he is talking about a log book then you will still need a CDL and you are using it commercially.

4 the bit inspection is for a commercial vehicle. It is a pain in the ass to get one of these trucks to pass because if the wedge brakes.

5 the registration is going to be expensive due to the weight fees.

6 you will need to stop at every scale.

7 I do not think it is legal to remove the GVW tag from the vehicle. California is a declared weight state so the tag is not relevant but they probably will scale you and if you are over the fines are huge and they can be retro to the day you first registered the vehicle.

Last edited:

randygk

My 5 ton is registered Historical, but I had to get a commercial insurance policy because of the weight. It runs approx. $ 850 a year from State Farm. So I have a non commercial truck that I can't use to haul anything (even privately), but as the avatar states - "A thing of beauty is a joy forever".

maxtor

I just got back from the scales with a certified California weight Master. The fuel tank is full, so the truck weighed in at

21,860 lbs.

Next step is for the CHP officer to come over and check Vin.

This was the first time I have driven the truck on the road, and getting up to 5th gear takes a while. You have to put the pedal to the metal. The truck needs more power. LOTS more power.

quickfarms

Maxtor

In your situation I would try to register it historic since the form 97 says it is an 1989, Sacramento will reject the application based on my last conversation with them. If that happens just PNO it until next year. If you need to move it you can just get a trip, or moving, permit to move it provided it is insured.

Another option is to mount a camper in the bed and register it as a motor home.

quickfarms

CHP.
I will keep everyone posted as everything is being documented.
2 axles is the key.
Which CHP office?

What are you going to use the truck for?

The only thing that 2 axles does is eliminate the CDL requirement if the GVW is under 26,000 lbs.

You will still have commercial truck that is not CARB compliant.

The truck will still be subject to all the requirements for a commercial of its weight class.

Unfortunately California no longer registers trucks for non commercial use due to people abusing the provision.

11BC2

My truck is a 1991 or 92...we are debating exactly which year.
Truck will be used for non commercial, private, driving.
The commercial officer I have been dealing with is very knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to help.

quickfarms

This was the first time I have driven the truck on the road, and getting up to 5th gear takes a while. You have to put the pedal to the metal. The truck needs more power. LOTS more power.
What rpm is the transmission shifting at?

What rpm is the engine governor set at?

I have run into several of these truck in which the shift points are not set correctly.

The correct way to drive a properly set up Allison is to bring the rpm up to 200 below governed and hold it there. If you do not do this the transmission can shift early and into an rpm that is below the engines torque curve causing lugging and sluggish performance. Allison has an operators manual that you should read.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks