• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cargo cover use question

86M10086.2L

I was out on the beach last weekend fishing and the need for some type of bed cover has become more apparent. I really want a military cargo cover for my M1008. But before I make the decision to get one of them rather than a comercially available soft bed cover I want to ask the few of you that have them on you truck how they work. How easy is it to fold down the cargo cover. I've seen pictures of them with the bows laying flat towards the cab of the truck. But what happens to the cover? Would it stay on, or does it get removed to take the top down when not being used? Is it essentially like a big jeep soft top? can it be folded down with the cover on it? How wind/rain tight are they?I'm looking for a sun/rain shelter for the truck when I go fishing or camping to sleep in that can be taken/folded down when not in use or traveling through tight trails to fishing/camping/4 wheeling spots. I've seen some really cool canopy/tent tops for pickups but if i can I would like to use as much military stuff as possible. If at all possible I don't want to give up my troop seats. If military top works out I would order a brand spanking new setup from GMA as I have yet to find a complete used setup. But if it's not really practical to expect the military cover to work like that than I'll look to the aftermarket. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

AJMBLAZER

I asked about them on here last year and didn't get positive results. Apparently unless you're a restorer their aren't too many practical reasons to have one.

I'm about to pick up a regular conventional fiberglass cap and paint it flat black. Apparently this is what some units did as well after getting fed up with the canvas tops.

aboonski

Original M1008 Cargo Cover

My truck has the original cargo cover on it right now. When I bought my truck it did not come with the bows, cover or other hardware necessary to install a cargo cover. I was fortunate to obtain the entire setup from another SS member within driving range of my home. These covers are not really practical for everyday use because of all the snaps, zippers and quarter-turn hardware that must be used to deploy the cover. The three top bows fold out from front to back via a nylon belt that connects each of the bows in the center. the bows are held in place by four straps that are adjustable at each corner of the bed of the truck. Once the bows are up and in place, you pull the cargo cover over the bows and go around the bed to secure the canvas via the quarter-turn hold-downs which, in most cases, need replacement; these are hard to find and are very expensive! Each corner of the cover has a zipper and two pop-snaps like you might find on a coat or jacket - these go bad also as my cargo cover has two bummer zippers in the rear. Once you have the cover on the truck, you want to leave it there because it takes a lot of time and effort to remove it unless you just want to roll up the sides.

For the most part, the bed of my M1008A1 stays dry in heavy downpours but rain tends to pool on either side of the center line inbetween the bows - when you drive off and make a turn, lots of water spills off to the side.

If you did obtain the hardware and a cover for your truck you could easily put a cot in the bed and use the space for sleeping, etc. Here in Florida, my cargo cover is the answer for keeping my tools and supplies dry during expected and unexpected liquid sunshine downpours.

Attachments

acetomatoco

RE: Original M1008 Cargo Cover

Those of us who used M1008s for years for flea marketing can tell you that the mil cover setup is pretty darn nice...and so is the one for the M101 type trailer... You carry all your booty in the units and then camp in them for days at a time... no problem, even at rainy Aberdeen, or Gilbert, or Tobyhanna. The -10 gives you all the poop on erection and storage. With proper care they covers will last 10 years or so. If you want a hard top cover, just pop in a S250.

aboonski

Cat roost

I have to look all around both of my trucks before moving them because I don't want to run over a cat! They all like to sleep on and around the trucks for some reason.

I am pretty happy with the present cargo cover except for a few pinholes here and there that are in the most inappropriate places where the rain likes to pool. I find myself duct taping the holes and that always keeps the moisture out. I do have another cargo cover in the garage for the truck that I have not even opened yet - bought it over two years ago. If I would have bought the M1008 first I never would have bothered with the M35A2C! I drive the CUCV every day - only wish it started like the Deuce without glow plugs!

aboonski

I like your color scheme!

Probably the most unusual paint theme of any CUCV on Steel Soldiers! Looks like you use it to haul passengers and it does remind me a little bit of my time in the Philippines. Over there they take Jeeps and convert them into microbuses and that is the most widely used form of public transportation in Angeles City. Just imagine what you could do with a Deuce and a Half!

86M10086.2L

RE: I like your color scheme!

If I'm not mistaken Starlight's is a military top setup with a custom piece of canvas made for it. That's kinda what I want. But used tops seem to be non-exsistant or never complete. I figured they wern't easy to take up and down. Thats why I working on some sort of safari basket or roof rack for the cab to take up the gap between the roof of the truck and the cargo cover. If I do that then the top can probably just stay up all the time. Just will have to be reall careful on the trails. So it seems that the consensus is that in good condition the cargo cover can be used as a water/wind proof camping shelter with good results? I understand heat is another issue but as long as I can start with that I'm happy. And again I'm not giving up my troop seats. So fiberglass caps are out.

Starlight

Yes, being in the marine (boat) business my canvas guy made a few upgrades on the original design. There's a sliding rear window in the cab to connect to your "crew" in the back. We loved it on the trails up in Nova Scotia and with the slight slope on fwd. part of canvas the branches slid over the top. She took a beating. Taking it down is easy too as the fwd section is on track and the rest velcro. The bows are custom too so as to break down completely and become stowable. We use the heck out of it up there. Last year the lobster feast was getting rained out. We moved it to the bakc of this truck and had a blast. Of course we have one heck of a sound system in here too ! All the best and thanks for the kind words, Capt. T

86M10086.2L

For mine, I would be looking to replace the forward slope with a roof rack. That would be my "brush guard" for the top. It would also in my opinion eliminate the goofy looking gap between the roof of the truck and the roof of the cargo cover. Trouble is, without rain gutters I can't seem to come up with a way to do it without drilling into the roof. That has been the biggest hickup so far. If I can figure that out than the rest is down hill.

Starlight

That's the same reason I didn't do that. And it also just fits in the garage up in Nova Scotia. Needs to stay in during the winters when we aren't trhere.

N1265

I have a cargo cover on my M880. I love the extra higth. the only problems I have is if i want to fold down the top. you have to extend 1 bow and collaps the other two to get the cover to fold down between the troop seats and the back of the cab. The problem is that the bows (wich are two piece) usually rust together making them tough to slide apart.

But other than that , I love it !

86M10086.2L

I imagine the tops are the same from the M1008 and the M880. DO you use your truck for anything that just hobby driving? Like camping or the like? I'd love to get a military top, but I"m leading towards a modified ladder type roof rack with a custom inner top setup. That way I could carry cargo or cannoes/kyacks on top and above the cab.

AJMBLAZER

Hit Craigslist up and the local paper man. I put up a wanted ad on my local Craigslist and got MANY replies about toppers. Everything from plain aluminum ones to fancy fiberglass to work toppers like you just mentioned. Most fairly cheap also as these trucks are vanishing here in the rust belt and a lot of folks have them sitting around.

Guy about to sell me his fiberglass top wants $100 for it and it's the full loaded type with a lock, sliding front window, vented side windows, shocks for the rear hatch, etc etc etc. Bet I can get him lower if I try.
Some flat black spray paint and it'll fit right in with the rest of the truck.

86M10086.2L

I've considered that, but most fiberglass tops are tappered inward as they approach the roofline. And even if they did clear the troop seats, you could never sit in them. Unless you were about 3 feet tall. I understand that you can't roll the side up on a military top. But later on down the road I would have a new top made for it like starlight's so you could roll up the sides and enjoy the view while sitting in the back of the truck and still be in the shade. If I didn't have the seats I'd go the fiberglass route and be done with it. But I'm also looking for something semi-permannent that can be taken up or down by one person when needed. I have yet to go somewhere since I installed the troop seats that someone doesn't ask me about them or want to try them out. Needless to say they are one of my favorite parts of the truck. So they stay unless absolutley necessary.