• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB radios in CUCV

keawe_applewhite

I was wondering in anyone here has mounted a CB radio in one of there trucks. And if you did I would like to know the placement and mount type. I wanting mount one in mine I'm just not sure how or wear yet.

allrevup

I used a after market shaft am/fm CB radio, it fit right in the OEM location, now and then you can find then on Ebay among others ( for 70's and 80's the best are for Cadillacs and Corvettes=$$$) and some are complecs and not as good as modern aftermarket CB's. for a under dash you could use the "C" mounting brakets that come with most CB, bellow the ashtray and right in front of the t/c knob the holes are pre drilled, if mounting on a M1009 you could use a civilian console, there are aftermarket overhead shelfs (truck & blazers)and (truck) liners replacements that have provition for radio, CB and four speakers, some for both look in JCwitney, LMC or Classic Chevy Parts, Cabellas catalogs. If you want it out of sight and willing to sacrifice the glove box tray that is another opption. Make shure that you have a 12v. and not a 24v. source for your power, I found out the hard way and fried a OEM radio cassette. negative should be easey right on the cab body but if you like to use it there is good negative clip with multiple terminal on the driver side cab body, right above the kick panel. There are multiple antenas and mounting places, I chous to mount mine on the grill guard and did not have to ad any new holes it can also double as a great off-road vehicle flaf pole or vehicle hight marker. PS. I forget to mention that any farm/tractor or boating centers have myrids of stand alone box's. Some guys in here have used very cool looking amunitiom(?) box's that are just as efective to just git'er done.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would opt for a modern CB....I always had good luck with Cobras (available at most larger truck stops). They can be peaked and tuned for better performace and range.
You can also add a "kicker" or liner amplifier (somewhat illegal) for a lot longer range. A 150 watt "Texas Star" was my weapon of choice to get over airwave clutter.
Antenna chioce is critical also.......the radio has to be matched to the antenna and the whole set up dialed in when installed. I used a single Wilson with mine.
Find a CB shop (usually near a major truck stop) to assist you.
I have talked over thirty miles with my old set up under the right conditions.
I will be installing it in my wrecker when I get it rolling.

By the way KEAWE.....have you met Papa Bear? He is in Columbus. For an old phart he is a real nice guy, and he has some awesome toys.
I hope you are making plans for the GA rally in October. It is the premier Steelsoldiers event in the deep south.
Clinto is the chief conspiritor of the event.
I have attended the last two and a good time was had by all.

Last edited:

Armada

OK, kind of tough to see in the pic :-D but I have a cb mounted below the dash in the center. I have it wired into the truck speakers under the top of the dash pad. The antenna is mounted next to the military whip on the military antenna mount. The cable runs through the grommet in the top, same one the military antenna uses. I think the antenna is a 'hotshot' or something like that, wreckerman would probably know the brand name. I also have a cb mounted in a deuce but it's not much good when going down the road....

Attachments

Last edited:

marine0311

OK, kind of tough to see in the pic :-D but I have a cb mounted below the dash in the center. I have it wired into the truck speakers under the top of the dash pad. The antenna is mounted next to the military whip on the military antenna mount. The cable runs through the grommet in the top, same one the military antenna uses. I think the antenna is a 'hotshot' or something like that, wreckerman would probably know the brand name. I also have a cb mounted in a deuce but it's not much good when going down the road....
Where did you get the cucv antenna? I'm trying to get one for mine. thanks

keawe_applewhite

Thanks for the info wreckerman. I haven't met papabear yet. But my friend Dale suggested I talk to him. I know his going to let campbell borrow his gun truck for his son's airborne graduation.

beanman1

hey man i used velcro to mount my cb on my dash i also used a mirrot mount that i found at a truck stop for the older chevys for my whip my cucv doesnt have antenna brackets

Attachments