• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Common Oil Pressure?

sandcobra164

Just curious as to what most of these trucks run oil pressure wise. Mine drops to about 10# at idle and just below 60# going down the road. It's got a 120# gauge so I'm wondering if mine's running low on oil pressure. I'm aware that they originally came with a 60 psi gauge but I'm a little scared of it's idle oil pressure. The motor is a new in '90 Hercules so I felt like it should have more pressure at idle. Of course it runs 90# when the oil is cold. Should I be worried or are these oil pressures normal with the Deuce?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you've got a 120psi sender. If for some reason you have a 60psi sender you 120 gauge will show half of accual oil pressure.

If your readings are correct that is a little on the low side. I think the TM calls 8psi as being the minimum pressure allowed.

Could be that your pressure regulator needs adjusting.

mikeroot2

I have a 60psi gauge. It only shows a little over 30psi at speed and around 12-15 after it warms up at idle(30psi when cold). Have not verified with a known good gauge yet, I will be doing that this week.

markmontana

Interesting to note the fuel consumption they listed of 5.15 to 6.18 mpg @ 1500 RPM. Wonder how they came up with that? Maybe just to be very conservative or hauling a max load. My experience is 9 mpg plus at 2300 RPM or so.

1500 seems an odd RPM to run these motors at.

wsucougarx

I presently have 3 deuces (Continental LDT-465-1D w/5k miles, Hercules LDT-465-1D w/14k miles, and a Hercules LDT-465-1C w/7k miles). They all have the 0-60 PSI gauge. All 3 engines pressure out to 30 PSI at idle and run 33-35 PSI at warmed up highway speeds.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gauges in both of my trucks were wrong. Best bet is to check it with a mechanical gauge. They run 70psi at speed, 30-40 idle, 90 cold. 86 and 93 motors.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the 0-60 PSI gauge. White engine with the Jatonka spin on filters. 20 PSI at idle, 35 at speed.

poof

Dirty Hippie
well heck.. ill add.
I have a 60psi guage and had a 120 sending unit.... it ran 30 psi cold (idle) and warm at over 1200 rpms.. warm was around 15 psi at idle.. I changed out the 120 psi sending unit and installed the 60 psi sending unit....Now my numbers are 30 psi warm at idle and 60psi at 1000 rpms .. the matching of proper componets was a good feeling and the correct PSI numbers is warm and fuzzy too..

I think its a common problem... I made a trade with a member here that was in the same boat i was...sending unit for sending unit...:jumpin:

one pic is at start up and other is at 25 min idle

Attachments

tbrenner

I finally looked at my sending unit and noticed I have a 120 PSI sending unit and a 60 PSI guage. Good to hear my guage is reading half of what the oil pressure really is. So if anyone needs a 120 PSI sending unit in trade for a 60 PSI sending unit send me a PM.

jwaller

I finally looked at my sending unit and noticed I have a 120 PSI sending unit and a 60 PSI guage. Good to hear my guage is reading half of what the oil pressure really is. So if anyone needs a 120 PSI sending unit in trade for a 60 PSI sending unit send me a PM.

I can sell you a new 120 gauge. you need them when your motor makes good pressure. otherwise, I'll trade you a 60 for your 120 sender.

Lex_Ordo

My continental has an original 60 guage, so I assume it has a 60 sending unit, because when it is cold, it runs at 60. Warmed up, drops to about 35, at idle, then when I give it some throttle, back up to 60, and runs strong. John's spin on adapters on her too.

I actually have a new 120 guage, that I was considering swapping out. I wanted to put a new guage in the cluster, however, I don't want to buy another sending unit to do it. I guess I will wait a bit.

SpyDad

:?: All, I have two gauges that range up to 120psi, obviously one is air and one is oil...how can I tell which is which? What happens if the oil runs around the 80-90 range assuming I am looking at the correct gauge for the oil pressure. What could cause a higher than normal oil pressure?...clogged filters? Thanks in advance for the comments.