• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comset Ideas for Deuce Cab?

jwright

Popacom has the vic-1 setups for sale. I got mine from him back in March, I think I paid $350 plus shipping. I just got it installed not to long ago and works great. I did have to fab up some mounting brackets

Attachments

Lex_Ordo

Just stumbled upon this. I was on a trip with No. 2 Diesel and he also just set up an Intercom System. A fantastic Idea I might add! It made a long interstate drive, very pleasurable.

I have looked into David Clark Headsets, and settled on the Military ones, with the Gen. Av. adapter kit.
I then found through a pilot supply company, a 2 place intercomm that also accepts a cell phone interface through the cell phone headset jack, and of course that makes it VOX.
Buy Pilot USA PA-200T Mini 2 Place Intercom with VOX capabilities- Sky Geek, Skygeek Pilot, Portable Intercom,

I'm waiting to take delivery and try them out. At first, I wasn't sold on the setup, due to the cost involved, however, after using them on a long rip, I decided that since I can buy the Military headsets cheaper, and then spend money on the intercom, and adapter cables, it would be worth it just because, it allows me and my passenger to communicate, and gives us the ability to talk outside the cab too, using the cell phone as the transceiver.

Mt Doom Field Owner

If you would like a very little used 10 Meter Radio Shack 25watt mobile ham radio I have one for $25.00. It has been in my basement for years unused in the box and I'd like to see it go to a good home. Includes the hand mic. If interested I'll post the model number and all tomorrow. It has full side-band support and I believe it scans too. A 11 Meter CB whip antenna will work just fine and will look pretty much like the military antenna (about 11' long in stainless steel). It and a CB could share the same antenna.

Snarky

I had a VIC-1 setup and I didn't like it. Maybe it was just mine, but it was unreliable. Sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. I think thats probably the norm for surplus electronics. I suggest the aviation intercoms, especially since they come in 24v flavors and IMO are infinitely more comfortable than the VIC-1 headset. Mine even had new ear pads and it wasn't something I'da want on my head long term, plus the mouth piece was annoying to adjust.

Added:
Oh yeah, the VIC-1 headset box that switches from intercom to radio is also annoying as ****. Again, just my opinion.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snarky, I had the VIC-1 in 2 different trucks and removed and sold both sets. They were hot, uncomfortable and suffered from wind noise. I now use the Peltor Powercoms. Headsets with FRS radios. Works great and I can talk from truck to truck with other folks. I have 4 sets so they will get tested in the convoy to the GA Rally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks