• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked block with a starter goes

84cucv1ton

Part of the outside ear where the starter goes is broken off. It seems that the GSA people drilled the hole and tapped it to a slightly larger bolt. I was wondering if it was wise to have a welder friend get in there and add some metal to where it broke so it's not as weak. Thoughts?? or my making a big deal out of nothing. Thanks guys

cucvrus

I have seen this before on a couple units. I drilled the hole and put a M10 1.5 helicoil in and new bolts. I also made small bracket to tie the 2 starter bolts together. I remember spending 8 hours fixing the hole but it worked for years and I never heard anything of its failure. I do remember using the torch to blow out a broken easy out. it was a fun day. Saved me from pulling the engine. Just an idea. And don't forget the starter support bracket. that is the key to the problem.

TexAndy

Well, if it breaks you can always have it welded then. Might not be worth trying to fix a problem that may never happen.

Unless this is your only wheels and you need it to be super reliable.