• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Replacement Heater Cores - No or Low Heat Output Reason

Cigarjoe

Thank you thank you thank you. This is the third winter with NO HEAT. Well I finally got fed up with it and started a thread asking for help and someone posted a link to this thread. I did this core replacement today and I have VERY HOT HEAT! Thank you again.

Gunfreak25

I just replaced my heater core. I was very disappointed with the thin Oreilly's replacement aluminum one, it fits like crap and is less than half the thickness of the heavy copper original. It came with sticky peel and seal foam where it mounts inside for an air tight seal, which works but man is it hoakey. It doesn't get super warm but keeps me very comfortable here in Yuma where we rarely see anything below 40. It does take about 5 miles to fully heat the cab, which isn't bad considering the firewall and floor is bare and there's numerous holes in the cab floor from old mounting locations.

I'm going to get the original roded and repaired and stick it back in later, it's quite easy to remove the heater box as there's only 4 nuts that hold it on and can be accessed from under the hood. I did not find it necessary to remove the inner fender, just the rear battery.

ssdvc

I used the Autozone Spectra unit and it worked great, even when it was 10 degrees out. Fairly easy job, just remember to retighten the hose clamps after two or three heat cycles.
Just an update. This winter has been very cold here in CT and I have had satisfactory heat in my truck at -5. Autozone Premium Spectra, worked for me.

ssdvc

I used the heavy black dense foam you can get at a good hardware store. One side had adhesive backing and I think it was 3/16" thick. Worked good, I have no idea how long it will last.

Subdood

Thanks for the heads up Jacksmad1! I have had low / no heat for some time. Turns out that my Son (previous owner of the truck) replaced the heater core which I am aware of. Based on your post, I dug into it yesterday, he did use the Spectra Premium core, but didn't mount it correctly so the cold air was indeed bypassing the heater core. Not sure if it was intentional or not, he was very hot natured and actually cola inked how hot it would get even in winter. Only time he even used the heater was when his GF was riding with him and she would all but freeze! Thanks for the heads up!

Lild

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I too replaced my heater core back in the summer, with the cheaper one from advance, threw away the lil cheap looking foam piece, there wasn't one there to start with. being my first winter with this truck, I had no ideal that the foam was needed. I honestly was getting ready to buy material to make a grille cover to help with the heating issue. (barely warm) last week, on the day it snowed here, I took it apart and put some new thick foam in around the core, big difference, as I had heat to keep the wipers defrosted this time, and my toes toasty. (first time it snowed here, snow stuck to the wipers as I had to use them.) A I told my wife, it's sad that I was excited to have heat in my ride now.

Now, If I can some how mange to swap out her heated seats form the suburban with mine, and she not notice, hummmmmm.........

Keith_J

Durn it, the spectra core seems to have sprung a leak, I bypasses the core by plugging the water pump and radiator hose barbs. Too hot to work on it. But could be just hose clamps.

edpdx

When I put the Spectra core in, it came with a foam sleeve, I didn't even consider it was needed for the installation. Do they include directions for using the foam? They should. I've since had my ORIGINAL Copper brass heater Core into the radiator shop. The fellow assured me that it out to run like a champ. I think I'll just put the foam in and wait for it all to go bad. On the other hand, I guess it would be nice to see how the refurbed core works.

edpdx

Is 3/8 foam thick enough for this?

I think you can work with 3/8" foam. You may have to layer it so it will not "just fit", but will really exploit the area in which it goes. I was going to add foam. I have a nice thick piece of polyethylene to work with. But I have my old core fresh from the radiator shop waiting to be put back in. Rather than waiting for the aluminum replacement to go bad, I'm gonna put the OEM back in. I deserve it.

If you add foam, I would consider using mechanics wire; threading it through the foam to hold it in place. Using some hi-temp RTV sealant would be beneficial as well. You don't want it shifting even a little or all your labor will be in vain. Stay cool... well, you know.
wires.jpg RTVs.jpg

CUCVLOVER

Hello everyone. I replaced the factory heater core this past summer also because of coolant leakage. I replaced it with the Napa aluminum version and just like y'all have showed it doesn't fit like the stock unit. I didn't think it would make a difference but I am wrong.
So I was thinking about using the spectra unit.
Have they held up?
Do they produce plenty of heat?
Price? Like the stock unit?
Where do I find one?

cpf240

Did you add the foam mentioned in other threads about replacement heater cores to fill the gaps the thinner core creates?

Hello everyone. I replaced the factory heater core this past summer also because of coolant leakage. I replaced it with the Napa aluminum version and just like y'all have showed it doesn't fit like the stock unit. I didn't think it would make a difference but I am wrong.
So I was thinking about using the spectra unit.
Have they held up?
Do they produce plenty of heat?
Price? Like the stock unit?
Where do I find one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks