• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins accessory drive seal question?

5tondeuce

Hi All,
Well I require your wisdom and experience once again. I am in the process of replacing a leaking seal on the accessory drive pulley on my M818 with the cummins engine. I am not sure of the best way to ge the nut off the pulley without it turning. In hind sight I should have left all of the belts on it.
My question is it O.K. to use an air gun to remove the nut or could this do damage to the injector pump or air compressor? Or should I try to find a way of keeping the pulley from turning and take the nut off using hand tools?
Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to your feedback.

Attachments

crasheej

There is a gear behind the front caver that runs off the rest of the gears behind there. Take air wrench and take the nut off and pull the pulley off change the seal, put it back the way you took it apart. Done.

5tondeuce

Hi Back again,
I tried getting the nut off the accessory drive using a 3/4" drive air wrench with about 150#'s of air in my compressor with no luck. Also tried jamming the pulley so the engine would not turn over and used a long 3/4" drive ratchet, again no luck. Do I dare heat the nut with a torch? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I dead manned the crank snout, then used 3/4 drive and a cheater, don't tighten with a air wrench, there is a required TOUQUE (90-110 ft-lb)
Before trying to undo the nut, place a 3 or 4 lb hammer against a flat of the nut, strike the opposite flat with another 3/4 lb hammer, work your way around the nut a few times

Last edited:

5tondeuce

I dead manned the crank snout, then used 3/4 drive and a cheater, don't tighten with a air wrench, there is a required TOUQUE

Before trying to undo the nut, place a 3 or 4 lb hammer against a flat of the nut, strike the opposite flat with another 3/4 lb hammer, work your way around the nut a few times
How did you dead man the crank snout?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Put bar between the dampener bolts (I have the dampener off, so was easy to get to, the tm calls for a bar in the inspection hole to dead man the motor (right rear of the motor, hard to get to because of the muffler)

5tondeuce

Put bar between the dampener bolts (I have the dampener off, so was easy to get to, the tm calls for a bar in the inspection hole to dead man the motor (right rear of the motor, hard to get to because of the muffler)
73m819, I did exactly what you said, I dead manned the dampener with a 1" piece of steel bar and used a 3/4" drive ratchet with a 4 foot cheater,The nut came right off!!.. It's great to have all you experienced guys on this site ,Thanks again
Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks