• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dark Seas M1008 Project

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Photos of the case broken down and what I found on the magnet.

View attachment 921021
View attachment 921022
View attachment 921023

Photos after cleaning the case a couple days before (before teardown):

Before:
View attachment 921024
View attachment 921025

After:

View attachment 921027
View attachment 921026

And yes my fiancé convinced me we needed a new puppy. That's Willow. She likes to help. 4 month old dutch shepherd.

View attachment 921028
View attachment 921029
Wow. What a difference it made - cleaning up the TC.
Looks like Willow was worn out. From all that helping :)

The parts look pretty good. I would look closely at the chain - making sure it wasn't stretched with the washer flying around inside.

Last edited:

DarkSeas

Wow. What a difference it made - cleaning up the TC.
Looks like Willow was worn out. From all that helping :)

Yeah man I'm really happy I took the time to get it right, I'm super proud to share how the case turned out after like 4 hours of scrubbing with brillo pads and some dawn.

Willow is definitely my little helper out on the tailgate. Just gotta remind her sometimes that brake clean will never taste good, no matter how exciting the can hiss sounds are. At least she can't speak english so she can't learn to repeat what I say at the truck back to her mom! rofl:beer:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah man I'm really happy I took the time to get it right, I'm super proud to share how the case turned out after like 4 hours of scrubbing with brillo pads and some dawn.

Willow is definitely my little helper out on the tailgate. Just gotta remind her sometimes that brake clean will never taste good, no matter how exciting the can hiss sounds are. At least she can't speak english so she can't learn to repeat what I say at the truck back to her mom! rofl:beer:
ROFLPIMP.png

Yep. For Sure!

DarkSeas

Borrowing a seal driver set today/tomorrow to drive some seals into the transfercase and put it back together. Bearings are in. Replaced all 120 needle bearings on the driven shaft, wasn't too bad.

Plan is to get the truck back together and drive her outta there within a month. Some stuff came up and she's gotta move.

Only issue I see is I've got a rotten inner-passenger fender and two sketchy battery setups. I can get an inner fender for around $45 off LMC, JEGS, Holley, Summit, etc. A ratchet strap might do in a pinch, but sourcing a battery tray that could fit on a fender replacement is proving difficult. Anybody else deal with this?

1713799582803.png

Above: TM 20P for battery trays.
Below: All I can find are LH and RH versions of this, or used battery trays on ebay for like $130-250 a pop.

1713799692384.png

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Borrowing a seal driver set today/tomorrow to drive some seals into the transfercase and put it back together. Bearings are in. Replaced all 120 needle bearings on the driven shaft, wasn't too bad.

Plan is to get the truck back together and drive her outta there within a month. Some stuff came up and she's gotta move.

Only issue I see is I've got a rotten inner-passenger fender and two sketchy battery setups. I can get an inner fender for around $45 off LMC, JEGS, Holley, Summit, etc. A ratchet strap might do in a pinch, but sourcing a battery tray that could fit on a fender replacement is proving difficult. Anybody else deal with this?

View attachment 921671

Above: TM 20P for battery trays.
Below: All I can find are LH and RH versions of this, or used battery trays on ebay for like $130-250 a pop.

View attachment 921672
Are you missing the original battery trays? Hillbilly Wizard sells replacement ones if so and they come with the hold-downs as well.

Replacement fender liners are still the same shape as original so the battery trays will fit fine. All you'll have to do is drill a couple new holes in the fender liner (as they aren't pre-drilled) for the bottom bolts that mount to them. I went with LMC as shipping seemed reasonable.

DarkSeas

Are you missing the original battery trays? Hillbilly Wizard sells replacement ones if so and they come with the hold-downs as well.

Replacement fender liners are still the same shape as original so the battery trays will fit fine. All you'll have to do is drill a couple new holes in the fender liner (as they aren't pre-drilled) for the bottom bolts that mount to them. I went with LMC as shipping seemed reasonable.
I've got the original rear but it's in rough shape. I saw HBW had a front tray but I was gonna try and find a cheaper temporary alternative before I go spending $150+ on a used OEM replacement. At the moment the front tray would be useless until I replace that inner fender, the current one would give the front tray nothing to stand on haha

DarkSeas

Little update,
After a few words and a few hours I got the transfercase back on the CUCV. Tonight I plan on going back to finish bolting it up, putting the driveshafts in, and filling up the case and PS pump. Looking to move the truck out this week over to my place by Saturday, not really sure how the brakes are or the wipers, and it's gonna be a rainy week. Pray for me. -- pretty sure the brakes are okay, the guy that sold me the truck drove it to the garage. Should make a 10 minute drive to my house, and I'll get someone to follow me home in my truck in case the brakes go out or I break down or something.

I'll take and post some pictures tonight.

DarkSeas

Here's the photos promised: bolted down the transfercase and put the rear driveshaft on tonight. Under the hood you can see I found a makeshift way to hold the batteries down to get home. Buddy of mine has two inner front fenders for sale, gonna probably get those and put em in at home before I really get the batteries good.

1000003239.jpg1000003243.jpg1000003242.jpg1000003246.jpg

Cheers.

Next steps are to tap the threads on the front shaft flange (one hole wouldnt accept a bolt but the other 3 were smooth as butter). Front shaft on, fill my fluids in the PS pump, trans, and transfercase. Will do all that tomorrow. Looks like sunny weather maybe Saturday, I'll get her out the garage on her own power, clean up the garage, and wait for a couple hours of sun to drive home.

Also fixed the hood latch cable that was all frayed, just a little quality of life improvement. Not sure if I mentioned that earlier, I'm beat.

DarkSeas

Thanks for all the prayers - I got the CUCV home safe and sound.

Thursday after I dropped my fiancé off at the airport I went up to the garage to button some things up - reconnected the batteries, filled the transfercase and checked the trans, PS pump, brake fluid, coolant, and oil levels. Everything checked out. Cranked her two times and laid into the throttle some and she roared to life. Made sure I was in 2H and reversed the old girl out of the garage for the first time in basically 2 years on her own power. Set her in park and she sat there smoking and angry as I went to shut the garage down.

I knew I had two options:
1) Wait for a friend or go pick someone up that could follow behind me in my other truck in case something goes wrong
2) Go home with the CUCV

That's about when my friend texted me "Hey man, if you're too scared to drive it I can drive it for you, or I can just get a trailer this weekend and take it to your house for you." I texted him back when I was at the house with the CUCV.

The brakes worked at the end of the gravel driveway, good enough to stop. It felt like it was shifting going 300 yards down the road to the main road, I never drove the old girl before, so I didn't really know how the TH400 liked to shift. Saw the street wide open so I peeled out onto the road, billowing smoke behind me as I cruised. I had two more options now:

1) Turn onto the 70 MPH speed limit highway that has a shoulder but I'd have to deal with a lot of traffic on my side of town
2) Stay on the slower road and potentially break down with no shoulder or anywhere to pull off

I went down the highway. The smoking was gone by about 90% by the time my tires hit the freeway. Thank God, because there were two county sheriffs waiting at a speed trap that I passed, and with the dead tags and smoking old truck I knew I'd be in some kind of trouble if they took an interest to me going 50mph and smoking like a chimney down the highway. Nothing happened. I went maybe 3-5 miles down the highway and it felt pretty smooth, way better than what I expected. Every now and then she wanted to get the shudders and I'd ease off the throttle a little and it'd smooth right back out.

The tricky part was going to be getting off the highway onto a main road by my house where there's a line of traffic lights and everyone rushes off the highway up to the lights. I had to merge across 4 lanes of traffic and hopefully stop if I caught a light, praying that people would let me over (the people in my area don't drive with any form of southern hospitality...). One lady cut me off and wouldn't let me get over but the person behind her waved me on and I was grateful. Dodged the first red light by turning off left onto the backroad that went the rest of the way to my house with almost 0 traffic or lights.

Backed her into a spot in my neighborhood and jumped out, letting her just sit there and idle for a minute. Neighbors came out to ask me about it, a lot of my friends came by to celebrate with me and check out the old girl. Two long years and she is finally home. Going to take Laney for a cruise and let her drive it some tonight, I missed many dinners and nights at home with her to put this CUCV back together for her. I have full confidence she can make it 30 minutes up the road to our wedding in October.

Will upload some more pictures tonight. Cheers.

Sidenote: She doesn't really like to take off from a dead stop sometimes. It will rev up almost like I'm sitting in neutral then bite down and the tires squeak. Not sure if that's normal or if my TH400 is just slippy? Cruising and slowing down she's fine but dead stopped to starting, about 1/3 of the time to 1/2 the time it will rev up to like 1500-1800 RPM and then bite down and go. Might just need to get the RPM up some before easing the brakes off to get her started without chirping my back tires...

DarkSeas

You might check your ATF level again. My transmission has the undercarriage corrosion prevention feature, so I have to top it up periodically. It starts behaving like what you described when it's low.
I will warm her back up and idle it tonight and check again. It did look like it was seeping around the pan gasket but since it's been home there hasn't been a single drop in the parking lot. I've also got plenty of ATF so topping her off wouldn't cost me anything but time

DarkSeas

1000003272.jpg1000003271.jpg1000003277.jpg

These photos crack me up a little because typically one spot over from the CUCV is my black 2013 GMC; I took these photos waiting for one of my friends to come give me a ride back up to get my other truck. People thought I sold my black truck

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I haven't seen a rear window gun rack since my grandfather was alive. All your truck's missing is one of those "REDNECK" windshield banners they sold at AutoZone in the '90s. Anyway, my truck pushes the ATF out through the transfer case while it's running and the propeller shaft slings it as I drive. Mine doesn't drip ATF when it's parked either. Just engine oil as far as I can tell.

DarkSeas

Man, I haven't seen a rear window gun rack since my grandfather was alive. All your truck's missing is one of those "REDNECK" windshield banners they sold at AutoZone in the '90s. Anyway, my truck pushes the ATF out through the transfer case while it's running and the propeller shaft slings it as I drive. Mine doesn't drip ATF when it's parked either. Just engine oil as far as I can tell.
You should have seen it when I first bought it, it had a dog box in the bed. The 8ft whip antenna with the CB is still functioning, I was trying to talk to the Walmart truck drivers last night. The toolbox is also pretty slick, it's got two sets of handles. The bottom handles open the toolbox lid and the top handles drop the foam gun shelf.

I crawled under the truck last night with a light after I let it warm up for 5 minutes and took it for a 10-15 minute spin around my back roads. Everything underneath is totally dry. It was a mess when I bought it though, the transfercase was so gunked up I couldn't tell what was leaking/where the leaks were coming from, that's why I rebuilt it and put all new seals and gaskets on it. I am curious to see what the trans dipstick reads when she's idling and warm - I just checked it cold and off and saw I had SOMETHING in it. If it's a little low and a half quart of ATF fixes my janky starts, I'll be ecstatic.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a hard time imagining a bone-dry undercarriage on a CUCV, but that's great news. I overfill mine a little from time to time when I'm topping it off, and it causes hard and late shifting. It's a self-solving problem in my case, but unless you've got an evacuation pump with a long tube, it would be a big hassle for you to get some fluid back out, so just go very little at a time.

Now I'm no transmission tech. They're voodoo to me. That said, I understand there's an internal seal on the torque converter, and if it leaks, the converter drains into the transmission case while the truck is shut off. It can't move the truck properly unless it's full. If that's going on with your truck, you'll find that short of replacing that seal, you can just let it idle for a minute or two before putting it in gear and the torque converter should be full and operating normally. If the throttle is all noise and no go when you first start the truck, but it gets better as it runs, that's probably what's going on. My '69 C10 was like that and my M1009 is the same.

DarkSeas

You should have seen it when I first bought it, it had a dog box in the bed. The 8ft whip antenna with the CB is still functioning, I was trying to talk to the Walmart truck drivers last night. The toolbox is also pretty slick, it's got two sets of handles. The bottom handles open the toolbox lid and the top handles drop the foam gun shelf.

I crawled under the truck last night with a light after I let it warm up for 5 minutes and took it for a 10-15 minute spin around my back roads. Everything underneath is totally dry. It was a mess when I bought it though, the transfercase was so gunked up I couldn't tell what was leaking/where the leaks were coming from, that's why I rebuilt it and put all new seals and gaskets on it. I am curious to see what the trans dipstick reads when she's idling and warm - I just checked it cold and off and saw I had SOMETHING in it. If it's a little low and a half quart of ATF fixes my janky starts, I'll be ecstatic.

DarkSeas

I have a hard time imagining a bone-dry undercarriage on a CUCV, but that's great news. I overfill mine a little from time to time when I'm topping it off, and it causes hard and late shifting. It's a self-solving problem in my case, but unless you've got an evacuation pump with a long tube, it would be a big hassle for you to get some fluid back out, so just go very little at a time.

Now I'm no transmission tech. They're voodoo to me. That said, I understand there's an internal seal on the torque converter, and if it leaks, the converter drains into the transmission case while the truck is shut off. It can't move the truck properly unless it's full. If that's going on with your truck, you'll find that short of replacing that seal, you can just let it idle for a minute or two before putting it in gear and the torque converter should be full and operating normally. If the throttle is all noise and no go when you first start the truck, but it gets better as it runs, that's probably what's going on. My '69 C10 was like that and my M1009 is the same.

Good to know. I usually idle for about 5 minutes before I drive off to let her get up to temp some so it should have some fluid in the TC (unless it's low, maybe there isn't enough - it's whenever I come to a stop there's a 50/50 chance it'll rev up before she goes. If she's moving, even slowly rolling/rolling stop, the issue pretty much goes away. I try slowly giving it throttle before moving to slowly up the RPM and lessen that jerky bite when it finally starts to go, and that does seem to have an effect.

Example: Pulling out of my neighborhood at the stop sign I was slowly giving it throttle from a dead stop and she was slowwwly crawling forward, and I mean SLOWLY crawling forward then she kicked a little and started moving. I was trying to lessen the bite best I could cause when it grabs it'll chirp my tires and I get looks from people in the neighborhood

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks