• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dearborn adapter woes

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

Ive got one of the Dearborn adapter DPA III Plus units. I’ll put the picture below. But I can’t get it to communicate with a laptop at all. I’ve used two different laptops with different versions of software. Additionally I’ve got two different USB to serial adapters that you need to utilize to make the connection.

power is on in the truck, three of four lights are powered up on the adapter. Again, see picture below. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions to make this work? It seems I have the right drivers for the USB to serial adapter.

Im not sure what to do next. I’d appreciate some input

IMG_7334.jpeg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USB to serial adapters are notoriously difficult to make work for some applications expecting a hardware serial port.. Best to use a laptop with a built in serial port.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USB to serial adapters are notoriously difficult to make work for some applications expecting a hardware serial port.. Best to use a laptop with a built in serial port.
Understood…. I have three laptops. None of which have a serial port to include an old engineering laptop. That’s running Win 7 ( never connected to the web) and a newer running Win 11.
I do have a MacBook, but would obviously be needing the serial adapter .

Ronmar

What General said, have had issues with some over the years… you said you tried different versions of windows, did you try running any of them in compatibility mode with even earlier versions like windows XP?

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hadn’t tried the compatibility mode. I’ll query my local tech guru for that.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll see what I can do with that.
I really don’t want to buy another laptop for a dang serial port.

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

Ive got one of the Dearborn adapter DPA III Plus units. I’ll put the picture below. But I can’t get it to communicate with a laptop at all. I’ve used two different laptops with different versions of software. Additionally I’ve got two different USB to serial adapters that you need to utilize to make the connection.

power is on in the truck, three of four lights are powered up on the adapter. Again, see picture below. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions to make this work? It seems I have the right drivers for the USB to serial adapter.

Im not sure what to do next. I’d appreciate some input

View attachment 921233
With the ignition to the truck turned on and the DPA hooked to the truck, what does the Dearborn Adapter validator show? Screenshots please

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure to try all channel types, you may just have to do process of elimination. I've noticed some trucks like theJ1708 and others J1939 connection. Make sure the dual-link option is unchecked, these trucks don't support that feature.

Last edited:

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, the adaptor validator points to a problem between the PC and the DPA.

did you download and install the “legacy” drivers from the Dearborn website?

Based on what the validator shows, yes it looks like he does.
I have had very good luck with this adapter on various computers and versions (xp, windows 10). Have used it with CAT ET, Allison Doc, Spicer CTIS, ABS The dearborn driver is for 32bit operating systems only, I doubt that's the issue as it shows you have the driver installed.

coachgeo

With the exception of CTIS they are all paid software so links cannot be posted on the forum.
pretty sure links can be posted. review the rules.... its less an issue that people turned it into. Mostly rule is about auctions (like gov. planet) where people were 1. mentioning them here, creating sometimes unwarranted run up the auction price and 2. to support the sites advertisers who need to auction prices to NOT be run up so they can win, clean it up, resell for profit, stay in business., buy advertising here.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pretty sure links can be posted. review the rules.... its less an issue that people turned it into. Mostly rule is about auctions (like gov. planet) where people were 1. mentioning them here, creating sometimes unwarranted run up the auction price and 2. to support the sites advertisers who need to auction prices to NOT be run up so they can win, clean it up, resell for profit, stay in business., buy advertising here.
Sure, I should have been more clear, some websites post download links to files that are pirated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks