• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Desert Camo CUCV?

ojsdna744

Anyone ever seen a CUCV in Desert Camo?

My daughter is leaning on me pretty hard about painting up my new M1009 in a desert scheme. The tan trucks just don't do it for me although I could probably learn to like them. I was thinking that desert camo (sort of like the cranetruck) might be sort of a 'meet-in-the-middle.' Anyone ever seen one? My M35 is woodland camo and I was just going to go with that on the CUCV, but now she's got me thinking.......

Anyone have a picture they could show me so I'd kinda know what it would look like? 1008 or a 1009 would work for a picture, just need an idea.....Thanks!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, in all my web surfing since '95 when I got my M1009, I don't think I came across any desert camo trucks or blazers. My M1009 was a Desert Storm truck. It was tan CARC with the inverted V invasion symbols on the doors in black. You might be able to copy some camo patterns from another vehicle and adapt in to your CUCV.

ojsdna744

Thanks guys, was just wondering what it would look like. I've kinda gotten the picture from other vehicles, but wanted to see if anyone had ever seen one. I know the desert trucks were tan, was just wondering if anyone had ever done one in desert camo. Hhmm.........

Desert camo CUCVs were solid desert tan, there was no "pattern". The only other often seen marking was the inverted "V" friendly forces identifier. My (now woodland camo) 1009 will eventually be desert tan with the bumper numbers of the truck I drove in the desert in '91.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I have to search. There was a desert camo CUCV on the cover of MV Magazine a couple of years back. It was sweet too!

ojsdna744

jld66 said:
Desert camo CUCVs were solid desert tan, there was no "pattern".
I know they were tan, I know first hand also. Just was wondering what a desert camo would look like on a M1009. :roll:

I'll search for the M880 truck in the desert camo....see what that looks like. Thanks!

Jetnoise400

Why not just take the 3 color pattern from the TM and change the base color green to sand, and maybe modify the brown to the color of your choice? That might look pretty good, and you know the pattern would be milspec :D

gt1009

don't think they ever made any of the M series trucks in desert camo, it was just the woodland for the NATO trucks, sand for the Desert Storm ones, and olive green for the ones that stayed here. I think that a desert camo would look pretty cool though.

BKinzey

Find a pic of Digital Desert Camo and reproduce that! :lol: :lol:

Get a huge stack of 4x6 cards. Paint your base color, toss on some cards, paint 2nd color, toss on more cards, paint the third.

Either that or Desert Tiger Stripe :shock:

Go BIG!

gt1009

Good call BKinzey, but instead of 4x6 cards you should try using some wide masking tape or something equivelent. Just spray down the base color, cover the whole thing in tape, cut out the parts you want to be the next color, paint that, cover them back up with more tape, and cut out the areas you want the third color, lay down the paint, and you're done. Pimp my ride finally tought me something.

Greg
'84 M1009

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jetnoise400 said:
Why not just take the 3 color pattern from the TM and change the base color green to sand, and maybe modify the brown to the color of your choice? That might look pretty good, and you know the pattern would be milspec :D
This is exactly what you are supposed to do. The woodland camo that is so common has kind of become the standard, but depending on the native foliage of the area where the truck is used, the colors are supposed to be adjusted accordingly.
From TB 43-0209:
The theory behind pattern design is to provide a
camouflage system for equipment that is universal and
can he adapted to various geographical, seasonal, and
terrain changes by the changing of one or possibly two
colors. For instance, temperate zone colors of green,
brown and black may be changed to desert colors by
changing green to tan.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When we were trying to get the First Cavalry Division ready for Desert Storm in August of 1990 the Army shipped in thousands of gallons of desert CARC paint. All the paint shops on the post went to work at a feverish 24 hour per day schedule to paint over 6,000 vehicles in time to deploy. M1 tanks were first priority and the funniest thing happened, the paint dried to a distinct pink color. The Armor guys were fuming at this and they having been painted were out of the que when a need batch was shipped to replace the pink. It took a lot of officers screaming to the CG to get the tanks back in line and get them painted again. Some one even stuck a Mary Kay sticker on one of those big tanks before they got re-painted. And the paint was one color sand not mixed in variety. An interesting side note to this is that the sand colored M1009's did not do well in the very soft desert sand we encountered and more than once we had to pull them out with HMMWV or M923 trucks. I did use a M1008 to move a lot of lumber to use in building bunkers to protect us when the Iraqi SKUD missles started falling in our area.

Please support the wounded vets they are coming home every day and will have a lot of challenges in life I think Steel Soldiers can do a lot to minister to them in the coming years.

gunhog11

gt1009 said:
don't think they ever made any of the M series trucks in desert camo, it was just the woodland for the NATO trucks, sand for the Desert Storm ones, and olive green for the ones that stayed here. I think that a desert camo would look pretty cool though.
A number of trucks had a desert camo paint job, many of them M35s and the aforementioned 880s, not to mention armor. Primarily seen in the southwest states NG units. Oddly enough, these camo patterns didn't stay for Desert Storm, just the desert tan being used for that conflict. As far as CUCVs with any sort of desert camo pattern, I've only seen bastardized versions......1009 at NTC with hand-brushed patterns added to the standard CARC tan paint scheme; but I haven't seen any CUCVs with the desert camo from the pic below and like the 880s had.

Attachments

Nico

old thread,
but i got someting nice on this pic.
m1008 truck with a desert camo.
unfortunatly hideing behind some cargo stuff.
(at ramstein air base)
looks orig. to me.

i would be glad, if anybody got some more info/pics about this paintjob.

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I only ever saw one in active service that was camo. Don't have a photo but it was during desert storm and the driver did sand and brown camo mix. I think he just taped over the brown on the 3 color pattern then blasted it with sand then took the tape/paper off when it was dry. Looked neet but that was the only one I ever saw.

Somemedic

While the current camo pattern works well using woodland colors I can't
Imagine trading out the green base for desert tan and expecting it to dissappear
desert. However the older style camo like you had mentioned were on the dodges
would look much better IMO. Would also use the older style camo pattern replacing
the green with white for winter camo.

Don't know why someone couldn't do a marpat or digital camo wrap for a blazer.
That would be intresting. I hav a pic of a promo humV with a digicamo wrap,
worked for me.

ragedracer

Don't know why someone couldn't do a marpat or digital camo wrap for a blazer.
That would be intresting. I hav a pic of a promo humV with a digicamo wrap,
worked for me.

My wife works for a 'wrap' shop. I've been trying to talk them into doing that for my 1009. They can do it, but even at cost, its probably a little over a $1000. Plus, they aren't real sure how well it would stick to CARC long term, even though mine is pretty fresh.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks