• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce age and production numbers

panzerjunky

I have been curious as to how many M35 were produced I am understanding the M211 came about in the 1950's then in 55 or so we got the gasser M35 but when did it go to the mulifuel M35A1 and how many were made?
Were the M35A2 Just modified A1 or were they purpose built as I am understanding the A3 were modified A2's So I guess my question is how many M35 Multi-fuel trucks were built and from when did production start and when did the last one roll off the line?
Thanks Jerry

ATC

I believe the Multifuel was regularly installed in the M35A2's around 1967 (or so I have gathered from here from my limited searches).

I have a '68 with a LDT-465-1D in it FWIW...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The family of vehicles including the M35, M35A1 and M35A2 (and a host of others) are the vehicles from Standard Nomenclature List number G-742. The first G-742 truck was delivered in 1949, it was a M34 (gas, single 11.00-20 tires). This was followed in a matter of months with the first M35. The first of the Multifuel-powered trucks, the M35A1, began to be delivered in 1961, these had the LDS-427 engines. In June 1965 the M35A2 began leaving the assembly line. It was initially powered by the naturally aspirated LD-465. This was later replaced by the turbosupercharged LDT-465 - I think that was in 1969, but this is from memory and I'd not stake my life on it. The last of the M35A2s was built in 1989.

From 1965 through 1989 the South Bend plant (Kaiser-Jeep, General Products Div and AM General) turned out 151483 G-742 series trucks.

I have yet to find a cut in stone number for the earlier South Bend production (Studebaker, Studebaker-Packard, Curtiss-Wright and Utica-Bend) although I am getting dangerously close to it.

I've also found the total for the very end of the production (1972-1974) in Lansing by Diamond-Reo (that was only 5055 trucks). But I've still got boxes of material to sift through to come up with the early (1949 through about 1963) production there (Reo Motors, Reo Division of White, Lansing Division of White).

Earlier trucks (M35, M35A1) were rebuilt to M35A2 standards as a matter of course. (in fact, some of the older manuals specify to replace the -427 engine with a LD as the LDS-427 was no longer available.)

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

Last edited:

panzerjunky

The family of vehicles including the M35, M35A1 and M35A2 (and a host of others) are the vehicles from Standard Nomenclature List number G-742. The first G-742 truck was delivered in 1949, it was a M34 (gas, single 11.00-20 tires). The first of the Multifuel-powered trucks began to be delivered in 1961, these had the LDS-427 engines. In June 1965 the M35A2 began leaving the assembly line. It was initially powered by the naturally aspirated LD-465. This was later replaced by the turbosupercharged LDT-465 - I think that was in 1969, but this is from memory and I'd not stake my life on it. The last of the M35A2s was built in 1989.

From 1965 through 1989 the South Bend plant (Kaiser-Jeep, General Products Div and AM General) turned out 151483 G-742 series trucks.

I have yet to find a cut in stone number for the earlier South Bend production (Studebaker, Studebaker-Packard, Curtiss-Wright and Utica-Bend) although I am getting dangerously close to it.

I've also found the total for the very end of the production (1972-1974) in Lansing by Diamond-Reo (that was only 5055 trucks). But I've still got boxes of material to sift through to come up with the early (1949 through about 1963) production there (Reo Motors, Reo Division of White, Lansing Division of White).

Earlier trucks (M35, M35A1) were rebuilt to M35A2 standards as a matter of course. (in fact, some of the older manuals specify to replace the -427 engine with a LD as the LDS-427 was no longer available.)

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
Thank You Sir
The more I play with and learn about this old truck of mine the more I love it.
Thanks again for the info
Jerry

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the #'s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less than I would have thought, a lot less!
Keep in mind that the numbers I have do NOT include over ten years production by Studebaker, Studebaker-Packard, Curtiss-Wright, Utica-Bend.

Nor do they include the 1949-1963 production in Lansing.

So, the grand total will be a good bit higher.

Nevertheless, despite its almost global use and literally 40 years of production, there were almost certainly far fewer G-742 (M-35-type) trucks built than there were of the GMC CCKW and CCKWX between 1940-1945, which totaled over a half-million.

This says volumes about the difference in production for a "World War" and production for wars on narrower fronts (Korea, Vietnam, Cold War).

It also says volumes about our preservation efforts we alluded to in another thread. Lets say that there were twice as many CCKWs built and M35s (a reasonable number I believe). How hard is it today to find a good unrestored CCKW? How hard is it to find a good engine for a CCKW? Have you priced a set of tires for a CCKW? And, how hard is it to find a CCKW ANYTHING other than a cargo truck?

Think about the guy interested in OD 30 years from now - where is he gonna be chasing M35s and parts, when there were only half as many of them made?

You ever seen a CCKW water purification truck? They made them. What about a CCKW-based Engineer Mobile Shop Set (I know of two survivors in the US)? CCKW-based pole setter? CCKW telephone line maintenance truck? CCKW WATER tanker? CCKW decontamination truck? CCKW pipeline truck? CCKW mobile photo lab? They made those too.

Yet in the past few months on eBay we've seen offered Reo mobile photo labs, that somebody bragged about gutting and turning into a camper. Same with water purification trucks. Folks converting M50 water tankers to cargo trucks. A M764 cut up for its axles to make a rock crawler.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that explains that. When I went to insure my 67 Kaiser they looked at the VIN a few times and said it was "too low". Hmm..