• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce as daily driver?

I run my wmo through a 1 micron filter (Final)then centrifuge before I put it in the tank. It settles in 55 gallon drums for a good while until I put it through the centrifuge and heat it to get the water out. I reckon at 1 micron I am already below what factory specs on fuel filters and should be in theory "cleaner" than pump fuel, however there is still the fine black (Stiction?) that makes the oil black not gold as mentioned. Going to be running spin on filters for the fuel too here when I get round buying them and the ground stiffens up to comfortably work outside. Not saying its better or worse, but that's what I have been doing during the summer months once it gets below 60 I start running majority of straight diesel.

I drive my M35 , but only to tick off the Prius driving tree huggers. As for a daily driver, well if you want to be broke and deaf, then its your choice. The noise in the cab is beyond OSHA recommended limits, it loves to drink fuel and everything costs four times as much. Now I have a M1009, updated to a mechanical injection 6.5 turbo diesel. I get 27 to 30 MPG depending on driving conditions. Its comfortable, lots of power and can do 75 MPH. The Deuce barely gets 8 to 10 on a good day and is screaming at 55 MPH. I have M880s and even and old Jeep, they are fun, but daily these days I drive a W8.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run my wmo through a 1 micron filter (Final)then centrifuge before I put it in the tank. It settles in 55 gallon drums for a good while until I put it through the centrifuge and heat it to get the water out. I reckon at 1 micron I am already below what factory specs on fuel filters and should be in theory "cleaner" than pump fuel, however there is still the fine black (Stiction?) that makes the oil black not gold as mentioned. Going to be running spin on filters for the fuel too here when I get round buying them and the ground stiffens up to comfortably work outside. Not saying its better or worse, but that's what I have been doing during the summer months once it gets below 60 I start running majority of straight diesel.
The 1 micron rating being better than factory is good only from the standpoint of having a piece of debris big enough to hang up or catch somewhere. The black color in the oil is particles of carbon that are smaller than 1 micron. Yes, they are too small to clog anything but...carbon is extremely abrasive. It is this abrasive quality that eventually causes injection pump problems. (I manage a treatment plant where we buy powdered carbon by the truckload and use it in the process daily. I get to see firsthand the abrasive effects on materials much harder than what the injection pump is made of.)

drivebymashing

I saw a picture a while back of a cylinder head that has run used oil it was pretty caked with carbon. My truck runs great on it. I guess mine will look that bad eventually.

No doubt its probably not the best for these trucks, but its free and for the time being running the truck for free albeit on borrowed time I'm sure but what isn't. I try and drive mine as much as possible, its not just a choice its a lifestyle.

rustystud

I've seen the oil that comes out of a good centrifuge. It is pretty clean. So using the 1 micron filter and then the centrifuge I would think you are good to go to use this as fuel. After all your using a half and half mixture of gasoline and oil right ? So even if there is some carbon left it will not be much in relation to the over all volume of fuel your using.

shannondeese

I've had my deuce for almost 10 years. Much of that time as my daily driver. As it is now. I've had to change 1 hydraulic head. 1 steering box. 2 clutches/ pressure plates. 2 sets of tires. 1 set of brake shoes on all 4 corners. 1 winch drive shaft. 1 transmission input bearing. 1 fuel pump. And all the coolant hoses. I've put 44,000 miles on it since I brought it home from auction. Amenities wise I changed the seats. Put in heat and a/c , installed a muffler and changed all the lights to LED. She's a good truck. Never broke so bad I couldn't get her home. Wouldn't hesitate to hook up the trailer and drive back across county with her right now.

drivebymashing

So 44 thousand miles cost 3k in parts. Sounds about like mine except ive only driven 1400 miles. I love my deuce I drove mine daily for 5 months. I have a z06 corvette as a daily now. Much better and cheaper to maintain.

71DeuceAK

I'm always glad to read others' stories of daily-driving theirs. I'm considering one myself and would probably daily-drive it, too. In the winter. In Alaska. In Fairbanks. rofl

Been driving mine daily since I got it last weekend. Normally it would be my bad weather vehicle though. If it's half decent weather, I'm on the Streetglide.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had my deuce for almost 10 years. Much of that time as my daily driver. As it is now. I've had to change 1 hydraulic head. 1 steering box. 2 clutches/ pressure plates. 2 sets of tires. 1 set of brake shoes on all 4 corners. 1 winch drive shaft. 1 transmission input bearing. 1 fuel pump. And all the coolant hoses. I've put 44,000 miles on it since I brought it home from auction. Amenities wise I changed the seats. Put in heat and a/c , installed a muffler and changed all the lights to LED. She's a good truck. Never broke so bad I couldn't get her home. Wouldn't hesitate to hook up the trailer and drive back across county with her right now.
I am an old database guy & data junkie. My Jeep that I've had 19-years has not only every oil change, repair & part replaced logged, but every single fill-up since the day I got it. I can see historically how the mileage has decreased as I add things to it (& how my mileage shot up when I removed the two ping-pong paddle mirrors & built my own internal side mirrors that cut wind resistance & have removed my blind spots).

I will be doing the same once I pick up my deuce next month (the database, not the mirrors). :clinto: :naner:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove mine everyday for about 6 months. Most of it was 50mph on the freeway so I didn't have to fight the city street traffic.

71DeuceAK

Sounds like what my situation might be, I'm currently considering a '68 myself, as my first vehicle (18 y/o) and yup, most of my driving would probably happen at 50MPH on the freeway, knowing where I'd be driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks