• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce cooling system clean out

azpatriot

Pulled my radiator and had it cored. Tech said he cleaned it out but was more work than he thought. My 1985 had 7300mi on it. Before I put the radiator back in I'm thinking I need to clean out the block and heater core. Any suggestions for doing the best, most thorough job before re-assembling the system guys?
Carl
Mesa, Az
caejohnson1@cox.net

azpatriot

It was overheating possibly because the upper neck had a sliver of a crack developing around the necks circumference so it needed brazing. But probably also from the innards being pretty clogged up also per the tech. For $100 I had it brazed, cored and re-painted. Going through all the hoses too. From the looks of the sediment that remained when I removed the radiator I think there is a fair amount of sludge in the system that I don't want to re-introduce to the radiator.
Carl

Maverick1701

I havent tried it my deuce yet (because its fairly new) but in my 7.3 diesel I would pour CLR into my radiator and run it for 10mins before flushing out the cooling system. It worked very well and cleaned out lots of gunk.

Also X2 on the cooling system filter...those things work very well

Flyingvan911

Is there any benefit to adding some Prestone water pump lubricant to the system. I know antifreeze come with it but does an extra bottle or two help?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
azpatriot, I just completed a radiator repair job and clean out also.
I replaced all the hoses (still have the two on top to do, just got the gaskets)
fan belts, oil + filters and all the fuel filters.

I was also thinking of a coolant filter system.
Did you get one for your deuce?

dabtl

I put the ODIron coolant filter on both trucks. It seems to work fine. I change it yearly because it has the diesel coolant additives in the filters I buy.

One thing to remember. Anti-freeze does not go bad. I just gets dirty. I drain my anti-freeze into five gallon buckets and set them under the bushes to let the crap in it settle out. I then reuse it.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the ODIron coolant filter on both trucks. It seems to work fine. I change it yearly because it has the diesel coolant additives in the filters I buy.

One thing to remember. Anti-freeze does not go bad. I just gets dirty. I drain my anti-freeze into five gallon buckets and set them under the bushes to let the crap in it settle out. I then reuse it.

dabtl, What filters are you using? If I may ask.

Thanks![thumbzup]

ALFA2

As for cheap and safe radiator flush for a Deuce, that will be water soluble, and not damage old or worn seals and gaskets and hoses, try to flush it with strong white vinegar, put it in, fill the system up with it run it for 1.5 hours. Fizzing, bubbling and strange noises are expected, and harmless in this process, that is how you can tel it is working... Shut of the engine, wait, and while still warm, drain it all from the lover rad hose, see what comes jumping out of there. Reconnect the rad hose. Repeat this cycle, until it is not rust and chunk infested to your liking. Flush with distilled water, before final filing with coolant and distilled water.Do not use PHX tap water, not healthy for the radiator... and it will cause sediment to form much quicker. A coolant filter will help to keep the system clean, once it is flushed clean from the old gunk.
Hope it helps some.
ALFA2

dabtl

Dabt, do you think you could strain the coolant through those fine screened paint filters?
I have absolutely no idea. I put it into five gallon buckets from Home Depot and put the sealing lid on it. Then it sits in the bushes for months till I need some. I then take the lid off and dip out what I need. When it gets low you can see all the slime on the bottom of the bucket. Put in a couple of gallons of water; then put the sealing lid back on and take it to the anti-freeze disposal site.

It seems to have worked so far. But, I also have the ODIron filters working also to continuously clean the coolant in the system.

cornrichard

The top hose on the deuce is about 5" long. There is only about 2" between the engine and the radiator. I don't think there is going to be room for the Tefba filter. I like the idea if that unit though.

dabtl

The Tefba does not have a provision for the SCA. The SCA is important to any diesel operation. You can buy it in bulk or in the filter. I find it much easier to change both the filter and add the SCA at one time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks