• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce for every day driver?

cessnatwin

I drive mine on a daily basis! I own an auto repair shop and have a chance to do any work needed, but I have never had a problem... what can it hurt, buy triple AAA with RV towing just in case!

Barneyszoo

I drove my bobber as a daily driver for about a year and a half. Now I've got the 813 and I drive it every day. The bobber is better in traffic and parking lots, but I love the power steering on the 5 ton. I've waited 47 years to get one and I'm going to drive them. Traided an 02 Ford Excursion for the 5 ton and I get WAY better gas milage. I don't think I'll ever go back. O ya the LITTLE truck has the stock seats in it, the 5 ton has a springer on the drivers side. Cant wait for the big one and not have to worry about getting home to get my truck cause I'll aready be driving it.:driver:

UpstateNYer

Please explain how you achieved this?
Probably a V10 Excursion, my buddy had one I think he said he averaged 8mpg combined city and highway. Of course he used it like a truck.

Or did you mean who would trade a good 5 ton for a 9 year old Excursion?

Last edited:

4x4e350

Probably a V10 Excursion, my buddy had one I think he said he averaged 8mpg combined city and highway. Of course he used it like a truck.

Or did you mean who would trade a good 5 ton for a 9 year old Excursion?

The fuel economy. Wow, I didn't realize the V10's did so bad. But I've also heard, the 5 tons get about 6 mpg's???

ZRacer

No way I would use my MV as a daily driver. Loud, bumpy, dirty, no heat or a/c, no radio. Plus the lousy fuel mileage and high wear on tires.

However, as a TEOTWAWKI, zombie escape vehicle, I can't think of a better one (especially if you only have $5K to spend). I chose the M35A2 specifically for these reasons:

1. 10 wheel drive (6x6) - what can beat that for off road while still carrying a load?

2. Ability to actually carry a heavy load off-road (see above).

3. Multi-fuel. When there are no gas stations with pumps that work, and there are modern cars and trucks on the road abandoned and stranded, you can siphon fuel out of almost anything and use it.

4. This thing is, to my mind, about as EMP-proof a vehicle as you can find. No microchips anywhere.

5. It is designed so that an average Joe can work on it (if you have the tools and the manuals). You certainly don't need any diagnostic computers!

6. Still small enough to be driven around and parked in most places, and no CDL needed (there are a lot of places that a larger truck, APC or tank can't go).

7. Parts are still available and relatively cheap. (Some of those European MV's are cool and might be better off-road, but try getting cheap parts for them here.)

8. At least for me, registration and insurance are cheaper than any other vehicle that I own (by far!).

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No way I would use my MV as a daily driver. Loud, bumpy, dirty, no heat or a/c, no radio. Plus the lousy fuel mileage and high wear on tires.

However, as a TEOTWAWKI, zombie escape vehicle, I can't think of a better one (especially if you only have $5K to spend). I chose the M35A2 specifically for these reasons:

1. 10 wheel drive (6x6) - what can beat that for off road while still carrying a load?

2. Ability to actually carry a heavy load off-road (see above).

3. Multi-fuel. When there are no gas stations with pumps that work, and there are modern cars and trucks on the road abandoned and stranded, you can siphon fuel out of almost anything and use it.

4. This thing is, to my mind, about as EMP-proof a vehicle as you can find. No microchips anywhere.

5. It is designed so that an average Joe can work on it (if you have the tools and the manuals). You certainly don't need any diagnostic computers!

6. Still small enough to be driven around and parked in most places, and no CDL needed (there are a lot of places that a larger truck, APC or tank can't go).

7. Parts are still available and relatively cheap. (Some of those European MV's are cool and might be better off-road, but try getting cheap parts for them here.)

8. At least for me, registration and insurance are cheaper than any other vehicle that I own (by far!).
:ditto: Also its steel, not plastic.

Flyingvan911

I've had my deuce for a week now and I wouldn't drive it daily unless I had too. It is big and needs lots of room to maneuver. I love to drive it but it is a work out. Each to his/her own.

Atomic

Russell's Military Vehicles: Inventory This is the guy I got my truck thew He can get you a realy good truck for between 4-5000 he checks his stuff out so you dont have to wory about it falling apart on your way home. I know he is going to be out of the way for you but he is I think the best vale in the country for a duece.
Decent guy but I would respectfully disagree with you. :???: But if you like and you think you got a good deal then who am I to argue.

windmillman

I recently purchased a M35A3 model, and am planning on driving it almost daily. Not to work but as a work truck. I was going to knock off an axel then put a pump hoist on the flatbed. I have been using the F450's and the repairs and the weight, plus the 95% off-road time through the sandhills of nebraska is tearing them up. Transmissions, rearends, turbo's, front ends. So i thought one might be a good replacement truck for the off road work. I thought the newer A3 might have a few less problems? Am I being nieve? I have a M812A that has the cummins, and i do drive for hauling dirt, iron, ect. on and hot much for problems, none yet, but it starts, drives and operates great. I mean lights are fun to get, the 24V system is a bummer, but its dependable. Is the A3 going to be dependable? Can it be made into a 12v system to run a radio and a pto pump idle controler?? Just some questions before i go through the work to make the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks