• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce heater options

nhdiesel

I've read quite a bit about the original heaters offered for the Deuce, but I'd like to learn more. I live in an area that gets quite cold. -30 is typical for a few weeks during the winter. I like the idea of keeping a Deuce stock, but I want to know if stock is good enough, or is the best option. I see there being 3 real options for a Deuce:

Original hot water heater: Is this going to cut it in temps well below zero? Does anyone know how many BTUs they are rated for? Upsides are simple to install, common (especially if you get lucky and get a Deuce with one), and keeps the truck original.

Original fuel-fired Arctic Heater: I've read that this will pretty much burn the hair off your head. I have no question about its effectiveness. But they are fairly rare, quite expensive, and more involved to install. If I were keeping a truck for myself, I would strongly consider one. But for a resale truck, I wouldn't get enough extra to make it worthwhile.

Aftermarket hot water heater: I purchased a 25k btu unit for the Deuce I'll be driving back from Kentucky. It will be easy to install and pretty cheap ($140 delivered to Kentucky). Does anyone who has used an aftermarket heater have any opinions? Will 25k btu be enough for the coldest weather? If not, what would be suggested? I'm planning to do a quick install in KY, then add in the defroster ducting when I get home.

Any thoughts? Any options I'm missing? Suggestions? I still have 1 Deuce that will need a heater. I have access to an original hot water unit, I just want to know if it will be enough. Plus I may buy more Deuces in the future that could need heaters.

Jim

wsucougarx

-30 degrees...definately would have to say the fuel-fired heater would be your best bet. I've heard they heat up very quickly and will keep you toasty. Especially if you want something more instant than waiting 15-30 minutes with a coolant heater.

nhdiesel

Wow! I like the price of that! Let us know how it performs when you get it installed...and when it gets a little cooler where you are.

wsucougarx- the instant heat is one reason I would strongly consider the fuel-fired heater for my own personal truck. But there is no way it would bring more money than I paid for it for a truck I was selling. I don't want to pay $700-$1100 (prices I've seen) for a heater so I can get an extra $300 out of the truck. I'm trying to find something a little cheaper. There may be some customers who would be interested in paying extra for a great heater though.

Jim

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheap and Good, are usually on opposite ends of the spectrum. Half of the heat goes toward keeping the windows clear. Unless your truck is tight, & do a good job on the defrost stuff, even the fuel fired heater is marginal. At -30, things have to be in the "good" range.

Lee in Alaska

dk8019

Fuel fired heaters are available, there's a few on classifieds etc, pricing isn't too awful. -30F is cold though, we had a -25F day here in Ohio last year, and that was the coldest it's ever been in my lifetime I believe. I think the biggest issue with heating the Deuce is how porous most of them are to outside air. The arctic kits seal up the shifter hole, but I swear ever winter I find more holes in the cab of my Deuce, cut for only God knows what. Perhaps to fuel fired heaters are in your future? :-D

Blood_of_Tyrants

25k BTU in a cab the size of a deuce ought to have you stripped down to you undies in about 10 minutes. You can help the cab out by insulating the cab as much as you can. Put some foam rubber insulation on the back of the cab, behind the seat and inside the doors. I would also see about getting something for the floors.

Monty

25k BTU in a cab the size of a deuce ought to have you stripped down to you undies in about 10 minutes. You can help the cab out by insulating the cab as much as you can. Put some foam rubber insulation on the back of the cab, behind the seat and inside the doors. I would also see about getting something for the floors.
I will second this, your everyday car/truck has more than these trucks do. Any amount of insulation that you could install is going to help out tremendously with retaining heat and for a benifit will help keep the noise down.

area52

The arctic heaters don't have to cost $700-1000. If you get the main heater unit, and a control box, you can piece the rest together from common stuff. I got a heater unit for $60 and a box for $45. Figure I need the fuel pump, lines, control cable and ducting which I can get local for cheaper.

If I go over $300, I would be surprised.

Plus the hot water heater takes forever in the winter to heat up when you are just idling.

greenjeepster

The two on GL are over 700.00 now, somebody is nuts. I could strip the Arctic heaters out of my trucks and sell them and recoup the price of the trucks apparently.

saddamsnightmare

October 14th, 2009.

NHDiesel:

I may be joining you in the colder climes shortly, but if I do I'm gonna go stock heater for the deuce. The Swingfires will burn your hair off, but I have rarely ever heard of them working reliably for any length of time on diesel, gas yes, diesel no. Besides which, you are still gonna need the radiator cover to keep the engine warm that comes in the cab heater kit, as diesels hate being cold and do not seem to do well at those temperatures with the radiators uncovered.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

My old deuce mechanic would have nothing to do with a swingfire heater because they don't work reliably.:-D

yeager1

As previously stated, insulation is everything (to keep the heat in in the winter and the heat out in the summer). Spray the back of the cab with rubberized undercoating and maybe the inside of the doors, 3M makes a good one, this will make a big difference. Plugging the holes in the firewall with inexpensive grommets and sealing the shifters with boots is even bigger.

Aftermarket heaters recirculate the heated cab air, heating it over and over. The military heaters heat outside air, always. A 25k btu recirculating heater, with insulation, will do great, better then stock. I lived in norhtern Vermont with one of these in a 52 jeep with no issues.

Last edited:

50shooter

The truck in my avatar is a softtop with the drivers side vent sticking open about 1/2". Once the truck is at op temp. I have no issues w/the heat produced from my stock hot water heater. However, I don't start my trucks below 0 and when I'm in them above 0, I'm dressed for it so I don't require as much heat.

Crackerjax

look up heater buddy... let him ride shotgun while the truck is warming up or mount him to something hes got a low 02 shut off and a knock over device one of the few heaters rated for a camping type tent... I have the small one and he will run you out in a hurry.....

BEASTMASTER

the fuel burning one is the way to go. i've got 3 20K btu heaters in my 5 ton and when it's 10 degrees it is COLD. i've got the winter front and put in 195 degree thermostats and it is still cold in that girl. i've even got a propane tent stove on the floor on the right side. with all that heat i still can't keep the windows clear and fog free.gotta keep the windows down about an inch or more. i hear the fuel ones will make the windows crack though.

cbvet

As I posted in the "defroster issues" thread:

'My first Deuce, which was set up for the arctic, has the heater mounted under the dash. I also use the grill cover.
Works very well both heat & defrost down to 10. Haven't driven it in colder weather.
I will put the heater in my second Deuce under the dash too. I might even try to relocate the M813 heater .'

As mentioned before, I've had so much trouble trying to get the fuel burning heaters I have working, that I probably won't be using them.