• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Modifications For Better Streetability

Angel95N

I am currently deployed in Iraq. When I get back, my son and I want to get a deuce and fix it up. While I am very familiar with the basic duece, I am interested in adding power steering, better tires, and sound proofing. I would also like to know if anyone makes locking differentials for this truck. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

M1075

Power steering (or power assist) and better tires are 2 of the more common upgrades. A couple of brands of lockers are also available for about $500.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seems to me that the recent thread on adding the Napa muffler really made a difference on "in cab" noise. You will find many threads on hydro and air assist steering as well as super singles vs the military tires etc. I've found this site to be a wealth of knowledge.

Regarding lockers...
I was thinking about buying the endcaps off a junk front axle and machining out the splines. This way I can free wheel on the road and then I could just change out the end caps before going offroad. I'm concerned about the support the endcap gives to the front end. Any comments?

rmgill

Ahh, that's locking axles, not the differentials. Ouverson Engineering makes some front axle lockouts for the hubs. (Locking hubs).

mangus580

You could try the search feature. It seems to me, every question you just asked has been talked about no less than 3-4 times in the past year.

Also, please add your location to your profile as specifeid in the FAQ's on the left.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Deuce Modifications For Better Streetability

rdixiemiller said:
Desplined front flanges are common. I have done several sets for members.
Does desplining weaken the front support? Do I need to press in a bronze bearing race?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Deuce Modifications For Better Streetability

You won't need the bushing. Just despline them with lots of clearance. Since the shafts won't be spinning they can rest in the spindle. I've got thousands of miles on desplined hubs with great results.

houdel

Rear hub flip and single rear tires are great for handling and improving tire wear. Super singles are great, but if you can't up the big bucks for a set of Michelin XYM or XYZ radials (I can't), the stock 9:00-20s work OK but look a little odd. See
http://imageevent.com/cranetruck/m35dualstosinglesconversion

Here's a link to some locker info. Seems a bit biased toward ARB lockers by hard core off-roaders, so take it with a grain of salt. I've used limited slip diffs on several pickups I had and was well satisfied, don't know that limited slip on the Deuce/Rockwell axles would be much different. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/LockerComparo.html

houdel

Absolutely the first option is to flip the rear hubs and run singles on the rear. No or very low cost, better handling, greatly reduced tire wear and you end up with 4 extra spare tires. Next option, IMHO, is Air-O-Matic steering, great for city driving, parking lots, etc. Costs about $1200 though, see http://www.m35products.com/Air-O-Matic.htm. May be able to retrofit with a 5 ton power steering package for less, but takes a fair amount of mechanical knowledge. The parts will fit with some tweaking but you need some mechanical knowlege and aptitude to get the pieces fit. Front locking hubs are nice too, in the $600 range, will improve handling a bit and improve fuel mileage also.

Definately go for the rear hub flip and rear singles though. You get all three tires on each side tracking in the same line, handles much better, and much improved tractability in the snow. You don't loose a lot of cargo capacity either, duals are derated in dual configuration, a single tire only gives up about 500 lbs per tire (2000 lbs total for the truck) vs a dual configuration. Not a serious consideration unless you are running near max capacity. If you upgrade to super singles you will have more load capacity than duals anyhow!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The very first thing you need to do, IMHO, is to free up the rear tandem axles. They are coupled together in a fixed manner (no interaxle diff) and will fight you every inch of the way on firm ground/pavement.
With the tandems freed up, your turning circle will be reduced dramatically and you will save on front tire scrubbibg in every turn.
Generally two ways to do it, remove the stub axle or pull one of the hubs/axle shafts and replace with a front type hub.

With the tandems freed up, you will end up with only one driving axle in the rear, so keep the front standard, since the front wheel drive will be needed from time to time, driving on gravel roads (uphill) and driving off/ highway shoulders (perhaps slippery afer a rain storm).

moosebgy

Would one of the Ouverson style hubs also work on the rear axle? If they would the you could engage/disengage the rear axle when needed. I've seen guys do this on Jeeps that they flat tow and seems to work well for them.

hot rod deuce

Lock outs on the back are the only way to fly if you got the cash. It is knda like organizing your tool box. You can get by just fine with out it and do the same job with out it but after its all nice and orderly you wonder why and the heck you fought it for so long. If your like me, you have the shaft on and just wana make one quick run to town, I'm FAR to lazy to get the truck on the flat, find some thing to block the wheels, lock out the starter, get my tools,crawl under neath fight the FINE THREAD lock nuts and get the bolts out. THEN do it all over again when i wana go wheelin. All for one trip to town and back total of 20 miles. SO i leave it on for the short ones. Then i get in the parking lot and cant turn, cant do much of anything but leave black on cement. Moral of the story? A thrifty man organizes his tools so he has more time to drive or do what he likes.

I have them in the rear of mine right now, will maybe have some info later on with a Remco disconect.

I am also the only dealer of Ouverson goods on the forum that will give a discount to SS members and donate a % of the goods to the forum

m.walker

With lockouts in the front , what happens with the driveshaft on a sprag t-case ? Does it spin because it thinks the front tires are slipping or does it sit still ? Just thought about desplining some flanges but if its still going to spin the driveshaft and dif is there much savings ? Thought pull two axleshafts in rear , interaxle driveshaft , pull front flanges bolt on rear axle , desplined flanges on front .Is it better to pull the front shaft or wont it be affected ? I'm planning some longer runs and need all the MPG's I can muster !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks