• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce power steering kit

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, i totally agree with you. I have one on a parts truck. The biggest issue i have, is that you have to manually return the wheel to center when exiting a corner.

Flea

When up to speed, if you've got enough strength to change gears, you probably have enough to swing her around.

It goes without saying that low speed is where steering strength is needed. Air-assist is good, but not optimal. I know I have a much easier time turning my wheels when air pressure is up vs. sans power steering.

However, if I did NOT have power steering, I'd pay more than half of what I paid for the whole truck for the Air-o-Matic.

Bottom line? If you want outstanding one-fingered driving and have some fabrication skills/tools, a custom hydraulic system like Tom's is going to be best.

If you have the money and lack the time/skills to fab something up, Air-o-Matic won't give you one-fingered driving, but it will enable one-handed driving. :p

dm22630

Here is my opinion on this subject.

1. "Power Steering" in a deuce is a poorly worded term for the air assist system. It is NOT anything like the power steering that you experience everyday in your civilian vehicle, nor is it anything like the power steering on 5 tons.

2. Do you know WHY the kits cost $1800?? I do! Because that was what Uncle Sam would pay for them! And if they sold them to the government for $1800 & sold them to civilians for $400-$500 (what they MIGHT actually be worth), then they would lose their DOD contract. (I.E. --- Would YOU pay $500 for a toilet seat or screwdriver? NO! But Uncle Sam would!).

3. The air assist steering system is noticeable in 3 ways only. #1 - "Hiss---Psssst" sound it makes; #2 - It is SLIGHTLY easier to steer at low speeds/parking; #3 - When offroading, you will not have the wheel jerk out of your hand & spin violently when you run over a stump/rock.

Bottom line is....If you have not driven a deuce w/air assist & end up buying a system, you WILL be greatly disappointed with the end result if you think it is "power steering".

2cents

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
DM good post. You and bruce have opened several of our eyes and you are correct with what Uncle Sam pays and what it is actually worth. With that said, let me throw out a hypothetical question. Just suppose that someone was going to sell a unit to you. Would you say if you paid $500 you would be at the borderline of getting your moneys worth or would you be on the side of the border where you were getting the shaft. What is the actual value of a complete PS unit? I drive my deuce locally and not off road, YET!!! Gonna bob it next month, so there goes some weight and tires. How about it Bruce and Dan. Help all of us here. Thanks. Dudley

The other 2 post came out while I was typing this, I got your answer after typing it, thanks

Last edited:

tjcouch

Benefit #3 just moved one of these up on the priority list for me!

I had a very, very, very close call as a result of a collision with a fallen tree that was hidden from view. I was two inches away from a roll-over situation when the front tire came to rest on a concrete culvert that lead into a ravine.

(The tree had fallen across the road and the forest service cut a section out . . . the logs on the side were obscured by vegetation.)

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Differences abound and opinions vary. The air-o-matic installs easily in and hour or two, with no special skills or tools. I might be considered an appropriate military upgrade. It adds resale value. It may allows guest driver(s) a better experience. It can transfer easily to another vehicle(s). The steering still works without air or engine function. It makes backing a loaded truck and trailer easier, and safer...

As for whether it's really power steering, sure it is. Anything else is wordplay (ex-mini van is really power assisted hydraulic steering). It's prob easy to hate if it you got something better. Prob easy to love if you don't. You'll appreciate air-o-matic more after you've driven a Stalwart.

If you expect a army truck to steer like a car you'll prob be unhappy with the other aspects - ride, turning circle, fuel economy, carpet, w/wipers, seat(s), CD player, cruise control, cup holders and ashtray(s) ....

As for the cost. I think every part is made in USA. New systems comes with a warrantee and will save you the hassle of missing and broken parts. Deals are around....

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the military only paid around $1100 for the kits. This is coincidently what they sold for up to about 18 months (or so) ago. When they started phasing out the M35's the company in the midwest (forgot the name) quit making them. Now they only do them in limited runs of 50 minimum. If I remember right Arthur Bloom is the only one who still sells them new. I know Memphis and Antelope Valley still have a few kits too. I bought 2 full and 1 partial kit from the CMS auction when they closed and sold all 3 within days for 1K each, and I think 600 for the partial kit. They are nice but it isn't power steering.:roll:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is only a little easier in tight parking lots with the air assist. I paid $1300 for mine but it came with a good running winch truck attached to it. No way I would pay more than a few hundred dollars for a kit otherwise. It does sound cool when manuevering around but quickly drains the air tanks down if your in a tight place turning around.

dm22630

Just suppose that someone was going to sell a unit to you. Would you say if you paid $500 you would be at the borderline of getting your moneys worth or would you be on the side of the border where you were getting the shaft. What is the actual value of a complete PS unit? I drive my deuce locally and not off road, YET!!!

IF you go offroad much, it would be worth it.

IF you hardly ever go offroad, it is NOT worth it.

My deuce that has air assist is easier to maneuver through trails.....but that is the only time I appreciate the system.

The actual value is hard to say.....I dont think towbars are worth $500.....but MANY here would disagree with that opinion.

Whenever there is a limited supply of anything (towbars, umbrellas, GAS).....the price goes up due to hysterical people thinking that "if I dont buy now, then I will never be able to buy"......

Sounds strangely familiar.....hmmm......housing bubble.....hmmm....

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's funny but someone certainly think they're worth some money. I predict a flooded market by next Tuesday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks