• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DEUCE spin on oil filters!!!!

nickd

I have been testing a set of spin on oil filter adapters fabricated by John Tenis. John patterned his adapters after evaluating two different styles produced for use on our engines when used in the Oliver Tractors. Originally Oliver tractor used the deuce engine with the standard oil filter canisters. Later models came with the modified filter housing allowing the use of spin on filters. Owners of older models wanting the spin on filter option could purchase a set of adapters to put on the stock engines. Two types of adapters were manufactured, one of stamped steel that was subject to warping and the other of aluminum. I examined both types and John has trashed the stamped steel one and beefed up the aluminum design. As of this date the filters have been on my truck for over 300 miles. The oil pressure gage's jumps to life within 3 seconds and maintains my pre adapter oil pressure of 60 psi. With NO LEAKS. The NAPA filter is the recommended Oliver Tractor equivalent with an anti drain back feature that does not leak oil when removed.
Installing the adapters for the first time during an oil change adds no additional time to a standard canister oil change. The installation is straight forward and requires no additional plumbing or modification of the original canisters. The original parts can be saved and reinstalled at any time.

Here are some pictures to show the installation.

I will have the deuce at Aberdeen see you all there

Attachments

sermis

I like this way a lot better than having to run remote oil lines and a remote filter base. Is this the same principal as the tractor setup? What about bypass?

sparkylisle

sermis said:
I like this way a lot better than having to run remote oil lines and a remote filter base. Is this the same principal as the tractor setup? What about bypass?
If you cross reference the NAPA 1458 with a baldwin you get BT124 which has a anti-drainback valve and a 20PSID by-pass valve. It also states its for Oliver, White equipment.

alphadeltaromeo

This is an excellent design...simple in principle and apparently very effective. I'd agree 100% with the sentiments here...best design I've seen to date. I'd like a set for my deuce as well.

Andy

FSBruva

Don't know about life expectancy, but I found them for $10 apiece.

Specs link:
https://www.clicksitebuilder.com/templates/cart_v2.0/cart.php?action=4&userID=82539&itemID=313317

Copy & paste:
Product Name: 1458 NAPA Gold Oil Filter
Short Description: Case, Oliver and White Farm Tractors, Drott, Hercules, Hobart, Michigan Equipment

Part Number: 1458
UPC Number: 765809139169
Principal Application: Case, Oliver and White Farm Tractors, Drott, Hercules, Hobart, Michigan Equipment
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 8.078
Outer Diameter Top: 4.285
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 7/8-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 13-19
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 450
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 16

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

[/list]

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I should be up front and say that I am working on the same basic configuration and expect to have a prototype by Aberdeen.

A couple things stick out to me. First the filter selected while it has a anti-drainback valve it is only rated for 16 microns. The original is rated for 25 microns. While this is an improvement it is not nearly as good as the turck filters out there right now which are down to 5 microns. Flow rate is not a problem to worry about with this type design. Have you actually changed the filters with these? Even with the anti-drianback that only prevent oil from going backward in the system, but it will still flow forward down the center to spill when you remove it I expect. Also on the same subject when shut down for a time there is nothing to prevent oil from flowing forward in the system over time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks