• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel leaking down the back of my engine

AJMBLAZER

Lately I've noticed a small spot or five of diesel on the passenger side towards the rear of the engine under the truck. At first I thought it was the dread fuel filter leak but that seems fine other than the usual grunge. No diesel out of the vent tube running down by the frame rail either.

Most of it seems to be coming down the back of the engine. The starter is covered and the bottom of the bellhousing is too. Not sure if it is just collecting around the weep hole or if it is actually coming out the weep hole.

Thoughts?

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same problem with my M1009, and it gets worse when the temps are below 20 degress F. All I could tell at the time was that it was coming from under the intake manifold (I could see a puddle of diesel fuel in the valley pan) and it was running down the back of the engine. I noticed a few cracks in the fuel line that went from the fuel filter to the IP. So I removed the intake and found the fuel clamp that secured the fuel line to the input of the IP was loose. I replaced the fuel line and tightened down the clamp. This reduced the amount of fuel coming down the back of the engine but the problem is still there. This time I was able to notice some fuel dripping off the left side of the IP where the throttle cable attaches to the pump. From what I can tell from a GM service manual it might be possible to remove the throttle shaft with the IP on the engine but it looks like the intake will have to come off along with some tricky parts from the IP. I think I'm just going to remove the IP and have it rebuilt to be on the safe side.

Ruppster

AJMBLAZER

Anyone got pictures of this stuff?

I'm still a diesel noob mostly. Not having a throttle body sitting smack on top of the intake just seems screwy to me. :wink:

mangus580

Ruppster, it sounds like you have the leaking throttle shaft seal ;-)

AJM, do you have hard starts if you park the truck nose uphill for a long period of time? overnight, 1-2 days...

AJMBLAZER

No hard starts but can't really think of the last time I ever parked uphill...ever...garage is flat...driveway is pretty flat...work parking lot is flat...boy...last time I parked it anywhere else was...

...so maybe I should park it on the side yard and see what happens?

This all started recently. Before it was just the mains leaking a bit of oil and maybe a drop or two of diesel but now it's a steady enough leak that the diesel spots never really go away.

galeo7171

When I park mine overnight it takes a little bit to get it to start. It takes a few trys then it will start. Could this be because of the leak on the IP? Once started and warmed up, you can turn it off and it will fire right up

HeadWizard

I had the same problem on my 6.5 two different times. It turned out to be 2 different problems.

If this setup is the same? I had a bad line under the fuel filter that was leaking the 1st time, and the 2nd time it was a fuel bleed valve that was not fully closed and thus leaking down under the intake and running backwards.

If the setup is not the same, oh well.

galeo7171

Take off the air cleaner and watch for leakage on the throttle linkage. I noticed mine leaking there when I shut the engine off. It doesn't do it when its running, only when off. Once the fuel has leaked out of the pump it stops leakin