• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do Pioneer trailers share the same frame as M101A1?

MIhunter

Need some help with this one. I am 99% sure I am right, but need to double check. I have my eye on a M116 Pioneer tool trailer (smaller box, Vietnem vintage) for dirt cheap. The problem is I will have to travel 500 miles one way to get it. I plan on taking all the usual equipment (magnetic lights, extra chain's) for the trip. The trailer is in great shape except for the tires. The seller stated they are rough shape, but hold air. Now, I don't really want to chance towing this thing home with no spare. I plan on doing an axle conversion to it anyways to get rid of the BUDD rims and tractor tires.

Here is my question. I recently did an axle, rim, tire conversion on my old M101A1 with great success. The axle is a ABC trailer 5200lbs with six/lug black steel rims, 265/75/16E BFG AT's. The spring perches when I measure for this one was 43.25in and it bolted up like a glove. I have though about dropping those tires and axle off of my curent trailer and bolting it on to the pioneer with help from the seller and his fork lift. I am almost 99% sure this is the same frame as the M101A1, but I cannot confirm.

Wolf.Dose

The statement "This statemment is worthless without pics" shows no knowledge.
The M101 series trailers and the M116 series trailer use exactly the same chassis.
A1 is the same on both chassis, A2 also. The M116 is available in a version with nacked frame or platform for generator mounting, refer to TM 9-2330-202-14&P as of August 1983 ( I own an earlier version of the TM as well.).
The M101 is always the version with cargo box.
Wolf

BORNGEARHEAD

I have a m101a1 trailer and I'd like to swap out the axle for the 3500lb abc trailer axle with GM 6bolt pattern. I came up with the 43 1/4" spring perch measurement. Can you tell me what you measured for the hub face? Thank you.

MIhunter

I went with a 65 in hub face to hub face with steel 16x8s from Jegs. They were roughly $50 each and have a 4in offset. This setup fits perfectly. If you go with less than a 4in offset, you can always use spacers. I went with a 5200lbs as the axle diameter is the same as factory. ABC is awesome to talk to. Just tell them what your plans are they they will take care of you.

Last edited:

glenn715

I just recently swapped my pioneer tool trailer body onto a M116a2 gen trailer, same dimensions. First I tried to swap the surge brakes/axle onto the pioneer tool trailer frame but all the bolt holes wouldn't line up. It was due to the old frame being slightly tweaked, not because it was different. I noticed the gen trailer was a little beefier in the frame/crossmember/corner gussets than the old 101 frame but the dimensions were all the same so I put the body on the 116a2 frame.