• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb question - selling my CUCV to a Canadian - legal?

AJMBLAZER

Sadly I'm forced to sell Big Ugly. Just not wealthy enough to have the money and space to keep a vehicle I have no justification for anymore sitting around not doing anything but begging me to make it perfect and otherwise consume money and half my garage.

Guy in Canada on CK5 is ALL ABOUT it. Wants it bad. Like hasn't quibbled on the price and is checking into the cost of shipping wants it bad.

The problem...can I sell a CUCV to a Canadian/foreign national? I forget but swear I've heard about this somewhere.

ABN173

OK I am not advocating anything one way or another but when I bought my first MV it by private sale and was conducted just like any other car/truck sale I did not become aware of restrictions on sales to US Citizens only until I started reading threads posted here. I'm sure others will chime in but the first question that comes to mind is: Did you purchase from GL and bound by certain terms/conditions within your EUC?

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Ah, I see.

Nope, I bought it from a company that had bought it for resale from the government/GL. It already had a civilian title when I got it. Guess I just need to see what the deal is with exporting it if he really pulls the trigger.

TexAndy

I think I read that in order to export a military vehicle, you need to purchase an export license. I believe these licenses cost about three grand.

And even then, you're still limited to whom you can export.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who was the company that you bought it from? They should have informed you at the time of purchase, if you were bound to follow the EUC rules/restrictions.

Stan Leschert

If there are any problems, the buyer just has to go through a broker who has a valid export liscence. No big deal, it just adds to the purchase cost. Check with the original seller, but with someone like Alfa, you should be good to go. BTW... The border crossing MUST have the paperwork 3 days before the anticipated crossing. And then the buyer will have to have a CDN Federal and Provincial inspection. Just a Heads UP!

AJMBLAZER

If there are any problems, the buyer just has to go through a broker who has a valid export liscence. No big deal, it just adds to the purchase cost. Check with the original seller, but with someone like Alfa, you should be good to go. BTW... The border crossing MUST have the paperwork 3 days before the anticipated crossing. And then the buyer will have to have a CDN Federal and Provincial inspection. Just a Heads UP!
Thanks, I'll make sure he's aware of this.
AJM....lemme get those tires before you sell it! I'll even trade you my XZLs! I always wanted the XLs :mrgreen:
Hahaha, no. You're about the 5th offer I've had on the tires. Not worth my time or effort to swap out the tires or sell them separately.

papercu

Chances are you could get away with it going to Canada BUT all it would take is one guard wanting to make a name for themselves and you might at the least have some fines to pay or at the worst fines and jail time. What risks do you want to take? Wayne

BIG_RED

I am a Canadian CUCV owner. The guy I bought if from brought it across the border. It had a civilian title and the border guys just treated it like a civvy blazer with a different paint job. Was no big deal. I could see a problem if you signed an agreement with the government about keeping it in the US, but honestly, it's just a diesel blazer with some modifications.. it's not a weapon or anything - I can't see it being any harder than another vehicle to cross the border with. Just my $0.02, I'm no expert.

TexAndy

The thing is, you don't exactly sign an agreement to keep it in the US. What you sign is an acknowledgment that you will obey all export laws. And if I read the law correctly, one of the things that requires extra hoops to jump through in order to do so legally is military vehicles.

2deuce

I'm thinking the canadian govt wouldn't care about the military vehicle aspect but ours would. With a civilian title, I can't see the problem. Not to say there wouldn't be one. I drove my M1009 across the border a few years ago, I had no problem, I didn't sell it up there, but what would have stopped me?

Stan Leschert

Any vehicle which will be registered up here first has to clear US Customs. Then it has to pass CDN Fed + Provincial inspections. This even applies to vehicles owned by US citizens who are up here on a work permit, and just want to bring their own vehicle up here to drive. If you omit any of the steps, go back and start again.

2deuce

Not that I'm going to take a truck up there and sell it, but what does clear customs mean. I bought a wrecked ford parts truck real cheap here in oregon because it had a canadian title and couldn't get one here for some reason that probably is similar.