• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easter find M1008 2015

Mg84648

Rick, Im not nit picking just curious. Is that the factory routing of the heater supply and return lines? Mine are routed under the batteries and laying against the fender. Yours makes more sense, just wondering.IMG_1819.JPG

cucvrus

Cable size for the clamp was incorrect. And NO the clamp is positive and negative. The positive post clamp has a larger clamp then the negative. I bought 4 2/0 positive clamps and 4 2/0 negative clamps. Ruined 2 2/0 positive clamps trying to crimp them. So to answer the question NO they are different for Positive and negative. The universal fit ones are crap IMHO. Bolt on ones even worse. Thanks for asking. Have a great day.

cucvrus

Rick, Im not nit picking just curious. Is that the factory routing of the heater supply and return lines? Mine are routed under the batteries and laying against the fender. Yours makes more sense, just wondering.View attachment 693142
NOT KNITT PICKING. You just ruined my entire build. ;). Would you like me to send you 2of the clamps and the hardware to do yours that way? I can do that if you like. I have been doing that hose routing. I like it better then the hoses laying under the battery tray. I think it looks neater and keeps the hose from laying on Gen 2. Today I am back pedaling. I filled the transmission last week with fluid and this AM I looked and have a big puddle under the truck. It is a rebuilt transmission and the switch for the kick down is leaking. Oh well. No use crying over spilled transmission fluid. I just bought 2 5 gallon pails of fluid. I can use this spilled stuff to polish the concrete floor. I had the truck cranking last night. That is progress. That was my goal and then in the house I went. More progress report later. Complete with pictures. Have a great day. I know I am having a blast right now.

cucvrus

The truck is running. I put 10 gallons of Diesel in the tank last night and cranked it a few times. Today I went out and cranked it 3 times for 15 seconds and the fuel was at the nozzles. I think letting it set all night with the pressure from the fuel pump on the tank helps get it primed quicker. That and having the glow plugs out makes it crank much faster. I installed the glow plugs. I cycled the glow plugs and it sputtered and cranked right up. Very little smoke and it sounded great. i changed the O ring in the transmission kick down and now I am going out to clean the shop and get the tools put away. i was hoping someone would show up that knows how to bleed brakes. Only young girls looking for my Son's. One ask where Ricky was. I said right here. I am Ricky Sr. Didn't work. Oh well. Looking and talking was still free. Pictures later.

cucvrus

Gifted M1008 Stock starter relay

DSCF3484.jpgThank you to who ever sent me this starter relay. i don't know who. It was in the mail today. It may be a gag gift since you all know I use them. I am OK with it. Matter of fact I needed one for my project. It is a brand new AC Delco. It must have been someone I sold parts to. Thank you anyway. I will keep the plug also. I did a few reverse conversions. Freebie. I like it. ;)

cucvrus

The picture to the right is NOT the St.Louis arch.DSCF3485.jpgDSCF3490.jpgIt is a ground cable for my Gen 1. Works awesome. And the electrical system is working perfect from ytthe first turn of the key. DSCF3486.jpgDSCF3487.jpgDSCF3488.jpgOh yea that leak. Nailed it. The O ring was split. From cranking the truck over it drained the transmission pan and that is all the fluid that was in it. So i lost about a gallon. Don' like it but I can live with that. In about 1/2 hour the pan was back on the O ring changed and the truck was running. DSCF3491.jpgFront bumper is sanded and primed. The brush guard is scuffed. No need to sand and prime the brush guard. that paint is 20 years old and in great shape from painting it back in 1997. I will seal it and paint it separate from the main body. DSCF3489.jpgOver view of the engine room. 99.9% complete. i need a few odd pieces and a hose. But the truck is up and running. Still need to bleed the brakes and then move it outside to another shop so the cargo bed can be completed. that I have special plans for. Have a great productive day and rest up. Hot weather is coming.

cucvrus

DSCF3492.jpgDSCF3493.jpgDSCF3495.jpgDSCF3496.jpgDriven out of my barn bay under its own power and parked in another out building for a while so the cargo bed can be stripped sanded and sealed. I am getting the inside of the bed Line X ed up to the rails. I bled the brakes tonight and adjusted the rear brakes. I even bled thru the load sensing anti lock device. I had my doubts with no bed but it worked fine. Took about 1/2 hour to get the brakes up to firmness.

cucvrus

DSCF3497.jpgDSCF3494.jpgDSCF3499.jpgDSCF3500.jpgDSCF3501.jpgDSCF3502.jpgI used the Mule M1009 to drag the trailer frame out of the field/yard to the shop. I unloaded the cargo bed with my sky hooks and ratchet straps. Now I have this trailer frame to trip over again. I had some ideas rolling around as I wheeled the frame up by the wood pile. Some of them involved a cutting torch. Evil thoughts they were. Have a great day. The bed does not look all that bad. I suspect it will be edge painted and ready to remount in 2 weeks. Any helpers? DSCF3498.jpgEvil thoughts. indexgrinch smiling..jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to have that trailer frame.
Say no to the torch.!

That engine looks great!
Always nice to have time and room for doing it right.

My M1008A1 is still down for radiator repair.
Im having withdrawals

cucvrus

DSCF3505.jpgDSCF3503.jpgDSCF3504.jpgI have been dragging behind on my M1008 project. I kicked it up a bit today and worked on the front bed wall. It was bulging at the bottom front. Years of use. I last painted this truck in 1996. Moving right along now. It keeps raining here and the grass is growing as fast as I can cut it and the mowers are getting old and tired. Not really the mowers the belts and bearings have been giving me fits this year. More then 28 years of use have. So I guess they deserve a few new parts. Same as the M1008. Next week I want to get cranking.

cucvrus

NOT Slacking. Just working hard at about a dozen NON CUCV related projects at once.

DSCF3516.jpgDSCF3517.jpgDSCF3518.jpgThe M1008 cargo bed is all ready for primer. Getting real close to getting the bed edged and installed back on the chassis. DSCF3519.jpgDSCF3520.jpgDSCF3521.jpgDSCF3522.jpgMean while the neighbor kid is in the process of destroying a perfectly good M1028 that I used to own and cherish. Oh well his Dad gave me $$$$K for it 4 years ago. It's his truck now. He came to me for assistance. I offered advise only. I told him I want no part of the defamation. I can see it now. Right up next to to the other one. DSCF3429.jpgNobody home.

cucvrus

Shame is the green M1028 has all new GM sheet metal on it and they are going to be cutting the fenders. Can't tell them anything. I would not care but I know what happens from this point and it is always down hill. I never seen anything good come from hacking up a perfectly good running vehicle. I also owned the green M1028 since it had 1900 miles on it. I bought it in 1996. My project truck is coming along slowly but it is going in the right direction.

cucvrus

DSCF3532.jpgDSCF3533.jpgDSCF3534.jpgDSCF3535.jpgDSCF3536.jpg
Today i sprayed a few coats of gray primer on the cargo bed. I will let it sit a few days and sand it smooth again. I want to get rolling on this project. I have several other things going on right now. All in all it was not in very bad shape. It had seen 20 years of use since the last time I painted it in 1996. It has been used hard for firewood and every other heavy dirty job that came along since then.

cucvrus

Well since this is my tread I am always on topic. More destruction of a perfectly good M1028. Oh well it is not mine. I am not doing it either. I did get involved in the rear wheel cylinders, axle seals, new brake shoes. A very sad day at the CUCVRUS camp.DSCF3540.jpgI did talk the 2 young men into doing some lawn mowing the entire time I am changing the rear brakes. What a deal. But they never talked me into helping with the lift kit. I was cutting wood and making noise the whole time they were doing the front axle and suspension. They just unloaded an original spare tire and tire rack from the back of the truck. Now comes the hard work for them. Plus side is they gave me all the spare parts. IDSCF3541.jpgDSCF3542.jpg wouldn't let then cut anything.

Drock

Well since this is my tread I am always on topic. More destruction of a perfectly good M1028. Oh well it is not mine. I am not doing it either. I did get involved in the rear wheel cylinders, axle seals, new brake shoes. A very sad day at the CUCVRUS camp.View attachment 698615I did talk the 2 young men into doing some lawn mowing the entire time I am changing the rear brakes. What a deal. But they never talked me into helping with the lift kit. I was cutting wood and making noise the whole time they were doing the front axle and suspension. They just unloaded an original spare tire and tire rack from the back of the truck. Now comes the hard work for them. Plus side is they gave me all the spare parts. IView attachment 698616View attachment 698617 wouldn't let then cut anything.
Yeah those rims look like they should come with a free hair bun:roll:

cucvrus

Beautiful day in the neighborhood. https://youtu.be/lbsIZIX4BPo

DSCF3543.jpgDSCF3544.jpgDSCF3545.jpgWhen will the madness stop? This is my latest project. To clean up the bottom side of the cargo bed and undercoat it. So much fun here in Jonestown. The geniuses ordered the wrong U bolts for the rear axle. They never allowed for the auxiliary leaf spring of the M1028. Check back later. I must get back to my fun. Have a great day.