• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine stop cable broke!!

bjerauld

I pulled on the T handle to stop the motor and it pulled out into my hand! I had to get under the hood with plyers and pull the plunger out on the back of the injection pump to kill it. So this is my project for tomorrow... I tried to search and couldn't find any topics on this one. I can buy a replacement cable for $22 but it seems as though I could just run some picture hanging wire down the cable housing and hook it to the injector pump some how.. Just wondering if this has happened to anybody else and what you did to fix it... seems easy just want some outside ideas.

Thanks
Brian J

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Seems easy and it happens alot ive seen. 22 bucks for a Military cable seems fair to me and it would be correct. Guys around here have just put the new cable back in to fix it.

To shut it off , you could put it in 5th and slowly let the clutch out to kill it..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't cheap out for less than $25. You may need that cable in an emergency to save your engine(or your life). Consider your truck may be worth, 1500-4500, and you won't spend 25 to fix it with the correct part?

toddm

Mine was broken when I bought the truck, but it would shut down the engine. It just wouldn't return enough for me to start it again without reaching under the hood to push it back into position for starting. It kind of acted as a anti-theft device until I replaced the cable with a new one from Saturn.

stumps

I just broke mine. Fixing it was easy.

Mine broke where the steel inner wire connected to the shaft of the Engine Off handle. If this is your problem, without removing the spring assembly, disconnect the pull wire from the injection pump end, and pull the cable out of the sheath.

Very carefully, grind the end that came out of the pull handle shaft flat. The pull handle has a hole in the end, and it also has a crosswise hole about 1/8 inch from the end. Clean out the crosswise hole, and stick the cable back into the handle shaft until it bottoms in the crosswise hole. Then using a pair of small 1/8 inch flat faced punches, from opposite sides of the crosswise hole, peen the center wire flat until it is 1-1/2 times its original diameter. It goes without saying that one of the punches should be clamped in a vise... Doesn't it?

Straighten the end of the center wire that clamped to the injection pump, remove any curls or kinks from the center wire, and bevel the center wire end with a stone so that it is bullet shaped (to ease putting it back in the spring outer sheath).

Apply a little grease to the center wire, and feed it back into the spring sheath from the instrument panel end, re-attach the wire to the injection pump plunger, and you are done.

-Chuck

stumps

Don't cheap out for less than $25. You may need that cable in an emergency to save your engine(or your life). Consider your truck may be worth, 1500-4500, and you won't spend 25 to fix it with the correct part?
There are a lot of under $10 parts in a deuce that could cost you your life, or worse yet, your truck, if they failed. Shall we replace them all with high priced parts just so that we can get the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing that we adequately tithed the gods of deuces?

It's just a choke cable. It isn't a tow chain, or a brake hose. It isn't even a highly stressed part.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the need for the rebuke.

-Chuck

Last edited:

Carl_in_NH

I replaced the standard ratchet-latch type stop cable with the one Saturn has - and it's the turn to lock / unlock type. This cable requires that you enlarge the hole in the dash. If keeping the original cable type in your truck is important to you, look elsewhere for the exact type replacement cable - because you won't be able to put back the original type cable once you open the hole up far enough for the new cable type (unless you turn up some reducer washers on the lathe).

anthony3478

my T handle pulled off also, so I drilled a small hole through the handle and through the square part of the cable that comes through the dash and tapped in a roll pin, its still attached.

Fat Jack

Mine came apart at the handle , center wire seperated from the handle, so I soldered the center wire back on to the handle. Had to carefully grind away a little bit of the solder in order to re-insert the center wire back in to the outer wire. Made that repair a year ago and it's still holding.

toddm

On my new assembly from Saturn the T handle came off in my hand one of the first times that I used it. I also had to drill a hole and install a roll pin to keep it in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks