• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether Start Kit on Ebay

saddamsnightmare

February 3rd, 2008.

DO NOTE POSTS ABOVE ON AMOUNT OF ETHER USED!! Diesels pretty much hate ether for starting, it works, but too much and the diesel won't start-period. I have a German Deutz Diesel, FL912 4 cylinder air cooled driving a 30 KW genset, and even at -30*F it would start without ether, 1st start would run rough about 30 seconds, then stall, the 2nd start would run uneven for 30 seconds then pick up to speed. I had it fitted with an ether injector unit, and I haven't used it twice since the unit was new in 1985.
Needless to say, diesels are odd animals when they are cold, but as long as the flame heater works, I'm going to leave it alone, but for you guys up in the Arctic North, my two cents would point towards battery heating pads and coolant heaters (electric) to get them to fire over faster in the cold. My M35A2 is struggling with a weak cell or set of cells, and won't crank below 32*F, but will fire over in less then two revolutions without the flame heater at 33-34*F, so I'll replace the starting batteries (See post on "M35A2 Starting Batteries, REplacement of".
My observation on cold weather starting issues is that the German Diesels are designed to handle cold weather starts ("Winter Happens"), whereas few American designed diesels handle winter starts with much grace and elan, see the number or Lizardlike deuces noted in the Deuce Forums. RAilway locomotive diesels are very hard to start below 50*F, and most are designed to dump their coollant (water) automatically at 45*F if not running, so that is why you generally see them idleing all winter, unless they have electric coolant heaters, pumps and oil pan and battery heater units (electric) applied ( and a regular place to tie up with an electric outlet nearby).
Just a thought on a subject germaine to all our deuces.....

With Great Regards,
Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce (and current cold start lizard champion due to bad batteries).

ida34

If you are using a quick start system it automatically meters the amount of ether and the system will not work if the engine temp is any higher than 20 degrees F. The military put the system on my truck and we had them on our 900 series when I was in the military. They made the system idiot proof so I do not think we need to worry about it if we are using the unmodified quick start system. I have only used mine a couple of times.

wdbtchr

My DTC 8606 Forklift had an either kit on it when I got it, no bottle though. The problem is the line that runs from the kit to the manifold is broke with about 6" missing. Does anyone know the size or composition of this line for a replacement? I've looked all through the parts manual for the forklift and can't find any mention of an either kit.

houdel

I have a NIB, NOS ether start kit on the shelf. The ether tubing is marked "Synflex Air Brake Hose 4246-022 SAE J844 Type A (Nylon 11) 1/8" OD". Make sure you use nylon or a similar organic solvent resistant material. Ether will eat through more common plastics like polyethylene or polypropylene.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Edit
suggestion deleted

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are different grades of Nylon tubing, check McMasters for spec. Like Lee stated "Nylon 11" or brakeline tubing would be best, cheaper than an oil gauge kit also....