• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Family Deuce Recovery

2027Deuce

I had planned to make this recovery a guy thing. Me and a buddy were to head down to Topeka with my pickup loaded with all the recovery goodies but it didn't work out that way.

Buddy cancells, ( AWE MAN! ) now I have to take the wife and she can't go on Thursday so I have to wait one more day. What do you mean the kids don't have school Friday?? ( AWE MAN! ) I know its Good Friday so now the kids have to go along which means the recovery vehicle went from my pickup to the wifes Cadi.

No Problem, I start to load the trunk of the car with all the goddies only to be told all the dirty oily stuff can't go in!! :( ( AWE MAN! ) All I get are some tools and a change of clothes. OK well I'm going anyway, enough waiting.

Made it down to Topeka no problem and actually found a very cool Sherman tank in the city park at Audubon, Nebraska ( see pics)

The CW03 in Topeka is very helpful and he tells an E-5 to show me the truck. E-5 says none of them run so "How you gonna haul it?" He also expains all the batteries are dead. Wife does this :shock: and then this :evil: We go out to the truck.

Some History, I bought this truck unseen (no preview available) and I bid what the winch was worth so I wouldin't be disappointed if it ended up being a parts truck. We get out to the truck, do a quick fluid check, flip the switch and the buzzer comes on, and yeap she fires right up.

Back out of the parking spot and discover no brakes. So after monkeying around with the little fitting on the master brake cylinder and a fill up we have brakes, ( I did not bleed them, yet) the truck also had a 1/2 tank of fuel so away we went.

The only other issues was a kink in the heater hose (which I fixed) and passenger side window would only go up half way. Temp was 65 - 70 so was a great day. 2 hrs from home it started to get cold again and I was seriously cold by the time I got home. The heater just won't keep up with the window down.

Other than that its a great truck. Rode good for a deuce didn't pull either way while driving or braking and ran pretty strong. Got all the usually looks from people on the way home and nobody waved with just one finger. One local cop followed me about ten miles but it turns out I was his radar screen so I didn't have to talk to him.

Maybe next time the recovery can be a guy thing.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, didn't even need batteries, thats good living! Kids fight over who got to ride in the deuce? Maybe the wife's next Caddy should be an Escalade?

CanadaDeuce

New Deuce

Scott

Congrats on your new Tan Toy ......... looks nice, snap more pics when time allows lets see it better , so this must be a mis diagnosed case of OD fever ??

LOL :wink:

CanadaDeuce

2027Deuce

Only a little fighting on who would ride first. The gasser deuce has a bench seat so the boys thought they could both ride, the tan deuce only has a single seat so they took turns. Yeah I was really surprised the batteries were good, really the whole truck surprised me, now I will have to find a good parts truck.

All of the family didn't make the trip, our daughter stayed at a friends house and had a little fashion show so she had a good day too.

I noticed on the right front frame what looks to be 4 2 68 and the truck is a 68 so is that the day of mfg.? That is one day after wives B'day so I may get some points on this, probably not. I've been in the dog house lately with all the 40 40 jokes.

:D

CanadaDeuce

truck pics

Scott

Well not sure about the #'s , Im new here myself, but if thats the case would be nice to know as chasing down the other #'s can be a daunting task .

Well dont feel bad my better half thinks Ive fallen off a turnip truck too for wanting this green stuff in the yard, OH well we will see who has the final laugh !

Prolly her ! :lol:

CanadaDeuce

2027Deuce

I didn't notice it was a 66 station, its been awhile since I've seen one of those. Its located in Kansas just south of the Neb. line on Hway 15. Took 15 all the way across Neb to get home. Good road and not much traffic.

Heres a picture of the gasser deuce.

Attachments

gunner01

great story Scott. I can relate to being in the dog house. There is a saying in our house you might want to adopt,"womens faults are many, men have only but two everything we say and everything we do" Keep up the great work......

maxim

Those boys will not forget that day....When your about 85 years old sittin on the porch they will be telling the great grandbabies the story about how you loaded Great grandma's Cadillac with tools and went to get a deuce.....

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow nice truck and wives get over it usually just wait till it snows and it is the only thing that can move. I was glad to see you were a little older the first shot of the two boys I thought wow the Steel Soldiers are getting younger every year....

Did it go to war be nice to find out since most tan ones were painted tan to go to war.

Thanks for the picts and story and may God bless your family.

2027Deuce

Thanks David,

The info I got from CW03 is that the truck came from HHC 137th Inf. Reg. in Kansas City. I believe part of the 35th Div. (Santa Fe) ?? I know the gasser came from the 35th the Blue Spaders.

When the gasser gets repainted I plan on original markings. The tan one will get USMC markings. 2027 something or other....

and yeah I think the avg. age on SS may be getting younger, or I'm just ageing faster. The tall one in the pics is my 14 year old Justin, I've been looking up to him for 2 years now, he's 6'6'' and still going. I was always built like my younger son Austin.

Justin is learning to drive right now and he is itching to drive a deuce to school. ( it will be awhile until that happens )

2027Deuce

Well it finally happened, my mother found out about the second deuce. She thinks I am certifiable, I tried explaining I needed a gasser AND a diesel but I don't think she bought into my story. So please if your addition has lead you to purchase your second or third MV I'd like to hear about it.

mistaken1

Those boys will not forget that day....When your about 85 years old sittin on the porch they will be telling the great grandbabies the story about how you loaded Great grandma's Cadillac with tools and went to get a deuce.....
Exactly!. Congratulations on the successful recovery and a nice truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks