• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FAQ Thread for CUCV's

maritimer

when replacing the fuel lift pump on the cucv the little mettle rod that actuates the pump must be inserted fully into its little hole to get it to stay up in place put a little wheel bearign grease on the end that slides in

Stihl029

Starter Relay part number change

I was at CarQuest today since I had a starter relay do the unspeakable to my starter this morning and found out that they are changing the part number. The old number RY117 will still be on the box for about a year the new number is RC1784.

Andy

Michael

....Is there a way to bench test a 24V starter?
You need to start a new thread with your question. This thread is for answers to common problems. Sounds like you have more than the common starter relay problem, but I think it still may be your main problem.

GM used a off-the-shelf heater relay as a starter relay in the CUCV. Its purpose is to take the 12 volt signal form the ignition switch and trigger the 24 v starter solenoid on the starter. Some of us feel that the original made in USA relay was just barely up to to the task and that the current made in China relays (along with aging problems in the circuits) are falling short. Some of the things you did sounds like a good idea and some of it was just throwing new parts at the problem. Did all of the failures start with a stuck starter relay?

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
235/85/16 tires, 4.56 axle ratio and 1:1 on the transmission. Do the math, you will be at about 3500 at 65mph. The max engine rpm is 3600 rpm.

I limit mine to 60 mph on the speedometer, that is about 3000 rpm. Bigger tires is an easy way to gain 5-10 mph top end but it will slow you on the take off some. 33" tires will gain you about 4 mph. I have 285/75/16's on mine now. With the GPS, 60 indicated on the speedometer is actually 64 on the GPS(at 3000 rpm). 3000 rpm is loud and sounds high!

80 mph would be about 4100 rpm, since they are diesel and governed, 80 is impossible, stock.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the process of putting 37" tires on mine. That should gain 10 mph top speed. I'll be happy with that. I don't plan to tow much with it. I am told a 4" lift will work, but on road only. 6 would be better, in my opinion. I think I am going with a 5.5" front 1 ton spring from Super Lift. Not sure about the rear yet. I just painted my 16.5" rims today. I bought used 37" humvee tires from Ken Kublo.

CUCVHMMWV

I have read a few posts that say a dampener just dampens/masks the problem instead of correcting it, but have no 1st-hand knowledge on the subject.

dependable

RY117 good for 10 starts only

GM: 15591718

NAPA: AR135

Carquest: RY117

Autozone: AC40 (Has five pins but will work. This is also a Ford heater relay)
Installed Standard Ignition part # RY117 last week. Thanks to this thread, I was suspicious of these newer units and mounted it on front of dash. So when it failed the same week, I was able to unplug it before anything fried. Am going to use a glow plug solenoid as suggested in this thread. Glad it was me driving and not one of my crew.

Michael

Ignorant here.
I read all this stuff ~ CUCV s partly in hopes of learning, for one thing,
What is a CUCV?

The Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle or CUCV Program was instituted to provide the United States military with a cheaper vehicle to augment the purpose-built, but expensive, Gama Goats and Humvees then coming into service. It initially provided Dodge D Series and then Chevrolet C/Ks with several military modifications. All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to survive the hardships that the purpose built vehicles could endure. The vehicle has five basic configurations; cargo, utility, ambulance, shelter carrier, and chassis. The vehicles were purchased in the late 1970s and early 1980s from Chrysler Corporation, Dodge Division, and in the mid 1980s from General Motors.

Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This forum is for the most part for the Chevrolet C/K. I don't know if I quite agree with the "All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to survive" since they are still in the process of phasing them out and they are still buying a few of the new version from GM. When you are making do with what you have you shouldn't be surprised that when you have a pickup truck and you need a APC that it doesn't last too long.

thirdstreettito

How to decode your vin number:

1st digit = Nation of Origin
-- 1 = USA

2nd digit = company
-- G = General Motors

3rd digit = division
-- B = Chevrolet, incomplete example contract maintenance trucks
-- C = Chevy Truck
-- 8 = Multipurpose Vehicle All M1009's (blazers)

4th digit = GVWR/Brake System
-- E = 6001 - 7000 Hydraulic
-- F = 7001 - 8000
-- G = 8001 - 9000
-- H = 9001 - 10000

5th digit = Line Description & Chassis Type
-- C = 2 Wheel Drive 1981-86
-- K = 4 Wheel Drive 1981-86
-- D = military 4/4

6th digit = Series
-- 1 = 1/2 ton
-- 2 = 3/4 ton
-- 3 = 1 ton

7th digit = Body Type
-- 4 = 2 Door Cab
-- 8 = Blazer

8th digit = Engine Description
-- J = 6.2L V8 Diesel

9th digit = character is a check digit to verify VIN accuracy using a mathematical formula

10th digit = Model Year
-- B = 1981 F = 1985
-- C = 1982 G = 1986
-- D = 1983 H = 1987
-- E = 1984

11th digit = assembly plant
-- F = Flint

1st digit = Nation of Origin
-- 1 = USA
-- 2 = Canada

2nd digit = company
-- G = General Motors

3rd digit = division
-- B = Chevrolet, incomplete example contract maintenance trucks
-- C = Chevy Truck
-- 8 = Multipurpose Vehicle All M1009's (blazers)

4th digit = GVWR/Brake System
-- B = 3001 - 4000
-- C = 4001 - 5000
-- D = 5001 - 6000
-- E = 6001 - 7000 Hydraulic
-- F = 7001 - 8000
-- G = 8001 - 9000
-- H = 9001 - 10000
-- J = 10001 - 14000
-- K = 14001 - 16000

5th digit = Line Description & Chassis Type
-- C = 2 Wheel Drive 1981-86
-- K = 4 Wheel Drive 1981-86
-- D = Military 4/4
-- P = Forward Control Chassis 2 Wheel Drive

6th digit = Series
-- 1 = 1/2 ton
-- 2 = 3/4 ton
-- 3 = 1 ton
-- 4 = Heavy Duty 1/2 ton

7th digit = Body Type
-- 0 = Sedan Pickup
-- 1 = High Cube/Cutaway Van
-- 2 = Forward Control
-- 3 = 4 Door Cab
-- 4 = 2 Door Cab
-- 5 = Van
-- 6 = Suburban
-- 7 = Motorhome
-- 8 = Blazer
-- 9 = Stake/Platform

8th digit = Engine Description
-- Y/S = V8-454-4BBL
-- R = V8-400-4BBL
-- L = V8-350-4BBL
-- U = V8-305-2BBL
-- T = L6-292-1BBL
-- D = L6-250-1BBL
-- J = 6.2L V8 Diesel (J code)
-- C = 6.2L V8 Diesel (C code)

9th digit = character is a check digit to verify VIN accuracy using a mathematical formula

10th digit = Model Year
-- B = 1981 F = 1985
-- C = 1982 G = 1986
-- D = 1983 H = 1987
-- E = 1984

11th digit = assembly plant
-- A = Lakewood
-- B = Baltimore
-- F = Flint
-- J = Janesville
-- V = GM Truck/Pontiac
-- S = St. Louis
-- U = Lordstown
-- 1 = Oshawa
-- 3 = GMad Detroit
-- 4 = Scarborough

That is the mostly full vin decoder. Please update original post.

3dubs

Troubleshooting an injection pump no start complaint

In order to properly troubleshoot a Stanadyne DB2 application, you must insure the following conditions are met:
1) Voltage – You must have the correct voltage to the shut off solenoid and to the cold start advance solenoid.
2) You should also have the pump properly timed. Please refer to the manufacturers timing information for complete timing instructions in the tech manuals.
3) You should also have a solid stream of return before the pump can achieve starting capacity. Return can be measured here. You can also attach a clear line to check the return for air bubbles here.
4) You should also have a minimum of 150-200 cranking RPMs. If your batteries are weak and you are not attaining the minimum cranking, your vehicle will not start.

INJECTION PUMP BLEEDING
Once you have satisfied these four requirements, the injection pump should be bleed. This is best done by attaching and properly tightening the lines at the head of the injection pump, and loosely attaching them at the injectors. As you are turning the vehicle over, you will begin to get a fuel foam, a mixture of air and fuel, coming out at the line connection, at that time go ahead and lock down the line nut to the injector. Repeat procedure until all lines are bleed completely.

If after doing this procedure the vehicle does not start, please do the following:
1) Attach a clear line to the return side of the injection pump and inspect for air bubbles. If you have air getting into the system, correct the problem before proceeding.
2) Attach a hose directly from the injection pump to an alternate source of fuel. You will need approximately 2-5 gallons for this test. You will need to bypass the entire fuel system, including the lift pump, for this test to be done properly. The injection pump has an internal supply pump that will pull fuel from the source.

If there is still a problem consult a diesel shop about rebuilding the injection pump.

RedHeadTarn

Closest Civi match for m1028

Hello, I have recently bought a 1984 m1028 and was wondering what is the closest Civilian truck. I don't wan't to have to tell a long story every time.I go to the parts store. I have heard some people say a k5, others a k30. I just want to know what to tell tem when I'm looking for parts that are non-military specific. thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I have recently bought a 1984 m1028 and was wondering what is the closest Civilian truck. I don't wan't to have to tell a long story every time.I go to the parts store. I have heard some people say a k5, others a k30. I just want to know what to tell tem when I'm looking for parts that are non-military specific. thanks!

84 K-30 for pickups
84 K-5 Blazer for the Blazers
84 K-3 w/J Code engine for engines in both.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The key blank required for the CUCV is called a "B" blank. The code used to copy the key is 73Y2. Same key for doors and ignition.

allrevup

Cost for a "79-"87 Ignition & door OEM Keyed alike locks set part # 1171892 $27.00 + 7.00 S/H. I did not shop around but they arived with in 3 days from GMCPaul's Truck Part's in In. (765)344-2906 Online Catalog: GMCPauls Truck Parts as of 10/07/'05 door locks are very easey but brite finish (must paint) the steering lock instalation is a challenge requiring 2 special tools or ingenuity and TLforce.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks