• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FDC Pump

kaiser2help

Can anyone tell me if there is a replacement part or an overhaul kit for the fdc pump. Mine is currently in bypass, and probably because the plunger assembly is worn out, and I would like to have it functioning if possible. Perhaps someone knows of a at home overhaul method. The pump is mounted on a LDS4651A multi. Also is there a way to put a micrometer to the components to check any available specs. I know if it is worn out hte FDC will dillute the crankcase oil. Any help would be great. Thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your description is confussing. Are you saying that the fuel lines on your engine have been rerouted to bypass the FDC? You are wanting set it back up to use the FDC so you can use various fuels other than diesel? You would like to test the FDC for leakage before doing so?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, you do not "need" it hooked back up to use other fuels. It does control the rate but is not what make a multifuel able to burn other fuels.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you could remove the FDC from the IP body and run the engine to see if it leaks(Cranetruck did this). But I would suggest leaving it bypassed and run other fuels anyway, if you want to.

kaiser2help

Yes I was told that too. But also I was told that you could have the same consistent output, regardless of type of fuel, and power from the engine. So I wouldnt mind giving it a try.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try it and watch your oil level. You could also do oil sample testing,to be sure that it is not leaking. I don't think you will notice much variation in power with or without it.

bottleworks

If no repair kit is available...(I wouldn't think so)... You could dissemble and spec out what size bushings you need. Might get lucky and be of common size. I machine shop could still make them if their not. However, the type of material would be in question. Cranetruck might have some specific info on repair options.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the rod that eventually leaks is a lapped fit, too tight to repair economically or practically. Bjorn should have better info on this.

kaiser2help

Thankyou all. All of these recommendations sound great. But I was told you infact dont even need the FDC to run different types of fuels. I was told it just keeps the engine power consistent. However, if everyone has experienced no change in the bypass or operational I will leave well enough alone. Thanks.

chazman21

Hello,
I may be able to shed some light on this subject. If im on the same page as you.

To start the F.D.C. "Fuel, Density, Compensator," Is the one of the parts to make a Multi-fuel run on differant fuels and fuel combinations "Mix's". It is its own part, "of a system"
It is attached to the IP "Injector pump" well before the pump.

Now, I learn about this awhile ago. by none-other then G.L. " Government Liquidation"

But wait, It may explain why your F.D.C. has been by-pass.
And just reconnecting, Will not make it fuction correctly.

According to the podcast near the end. WestCoast LD, LDS, LTD,,etc 465 engines. Were by-passed and the IP was retuned. It was done for better MPG & Emissions. But, It would not run on anything then Diesel fuel.
Their should be a tage some were stating this.
No, Threat. Their is a procedure to re-connect it and set the factory settings.
I can see if I can find it. It was mention on the podcast.

I did down load the podcast of this information, months ago.
I have it on my system. I would love to add it to Steel Soldiers websit.
But how and were? So, It can benefit everyone else.

I hope this infomation helps! Or Your F.D.C. is realy no good, aua
Etheir way, It could help & couldn't hurt.
Let me know what you think!!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
chazman21, never believe what GL says, in e-mails, in letters, on the phone or in "Pod casts" 9 times out of 10, they will be wrong, as they are on this matter!
one of the biggest problems with the Internet is that people believe what they read as fact, when in fact a large part of the time it is hear-say and not correct. Human nature makes us want to believe!

simplified version, post what you know, not what you heard!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one FDC, which leaks and one day I'll set it up so that the exact nature of the leak can be determined. At the moment it is hooked up alongside the IP and serves as a viscosity sensor....yes, the leaking fuel is collected and dumped back into the tank.
For more info on the FDC, do a search, should give you lots of hits.