• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flame heater help

tjmilitary

Ok guys I need some help. My flame heater is not working. I took off the injector and not getting any fuel through it. There is fuel to it and I do have good spark. Just not spraying. I unscrewed the nozzle and cleaned it but still nothing. How do you take it all apart or does it not come apart? Can you buy new ones? Thanks fro the help.

Westech

CPL
most of us un hook then due to them leaking/failing at a high rate and deluating the engine oil. With good batteries your multi fule should start to 10* or less with no help.
I have seen many people getting little batteries, that engine needs to spin at a min 200 RPM or it wil not start when cold out. In a deuce you want at least 2200 amps.

tjmilitary

They did put them on for a reason though right. My truck did not start today in about 12 degrees. Can you rebuild them? does anyone have parts?

DieselBob

There is a good trouble shooting section in TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2, section 4-58 page 4-526. They cover both the "uncovered" and "covered" type system. Even though you have fuel to the nozzle you need to check if the high pressure pump is doing it job and making 90 ~ 100 psi. As others have said these things can leak and cause problems but you can very easily place a shutoff valve in the supply and return so that you can shutoff the fuel the 99% of the time you are not using it. I for one want to keep mine just for the unique nature. As far as parts go you can try Eastern Surplus or Memphis Equipment.

Boatcarpenter

I used my flame heater this past weekend. Have used it 6 winters now without one malfunction. Put a new plug in when I got the truck and has worked great ever since. When I installed my boost gauge I installed a Cranetruck flame heater flame detector at the same time and that works great also.
BC

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FFH, how many deuces with flame heaters have you owned?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine didnt work when i bought my truck. the pump did not work at all, ignition unit buzzed but no spark and i was not sure what the nozzle was like. I replaced the pump and new spark plug and now it works. It was down to 20 degrees here the other night and i started it up just for fun.... while cranking the truck and bumping the flame heater, i still cant tell really if its working or the truck starts by itself. maybe tonight ill try starting it without it just for kicks and tomorrow night ill start it trying to use the flame heater and see what happens. i know it works though because after i shut down the truck, i turn the ignition back on and bump the switch a couple times, i can hear the "woof" of the fuel igniting in the manifold..... so does that mean it works in cold weather while cranking?.... thats a question for somebody more experienced them than me.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is in the TM. I believe you pretty much dead head the pump. but i dont know how important that is because the actual nozzle has an over flow for it. not to say that shouldnt be over looked. I believe there was a thread on here before where somebody rebuilt their pump.

have you taken the wire off the ignition unit (and leave the pump hooked up) so if you hit the switch, only the pump will run? you should do that just to be sure the pump works.

There is more information in the Technical Manual about the flame heater testing and how to hook up your test gauges.