• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flatbed military trailer

sandcobra164

Did the military ever have a flatbed trailer hauled behind a Deuce with a lunette ring? I've been talked out of buying a M931 or M932 A ? more than once by my boss. I can get a 5 ton but I'm not allowed to have 3 trucks and I don't want to sell my Deuce. It's in pretty good shape but Clinto says the cab has rust issues. I may swap the cab but I'm in no hurry. Perhaps I should clarify, Clinto will supervise if I go that route but I imagine mine will stand the test of time for at least 10 more years and my truck has logged over 2,000 miles just going to the GA Rally for the past 5 years with only a fuel line issue. We fixed that and it's very reliable. It averages about 4,000 miles a year. I'm wanting to get a trailer to haul my M1028 behind the Deuce now. Did they ever have such a thing or will I have to modify a trailer and paint it 383 Camo?

Dipstick

There are two companies (Appalachian & Econoline) that make very nice pintle hook equipment trailers. They are much lighter at 3,500 to 4,500 pounds than many of the really heavy duty trailers with air brakes which can weigh five tons empty, but they can still haul anywhere from a five ton to a seven ton payload. They have 12v electric brakes. I wish they would make them with 24v brakes. I've been wanting an equipment trailer myself, but the thought of pulling all that weight uphill with 134 White Continental ponies is sobering. Plus, I really don't want to go through the hassle of adding a 12v circuit and brake controller to my M35.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd look for something with air brakes. Most trailer manufacturers will build you a trailer with air brakes for not much money over electric.

Hainebd

Can a Deuce pull air brake trailer and brakes work with foot peddle? Or only air assist hydro brakes?

can the brake controller be mounted in the trailer and a relay used to trigger?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can a Deuce pull air brake trailer and brakes work with foot peddle? Or only air assist hydro brakes?

can the brake controller be mounted in the trailer and a relay used to trigger?
A deuce can activate a air brake trailer. But the question becomes, can the deuce keep up with the air demands. (There's warnings about using later air brake trailers on the older M52A2 trucks due to air volume.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An Eager Beaver and another civilian unit that sold near me for $3k each.
eager beaver .jpgIMG_1958 .JPG

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then there's the M1061A1. It's heavy at 5850# but it does have 168" of deck which will fit the 131.5" of wheelbase of the Norway truck. The bed will overhang a bit for sure.

Dipstick

Eager Beaver are great trailers. I once pulled one behind a Mack R model, but the Mack had almost double the horse power and torque of a multifuel. I think Eager Beaver tandems weigh in the 10k range unloaded.

I picked up a M1061A1 trailer for a friend last month and hauled Evil Dr. Porkchop's Water Buffalo back home 200 miles on it. I am not sure if I would load a CUCV on that trailer.

1019131100.jpg1019131100a.jpg

I have seen a well known Elvis type moderator hauling a Eager Beaver trailer with a deuce.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Did the military ever have a flatbed trailer hauled behind a Deuce with a lunette ring?................................................................ Did they ever have such a thing or will I have to modify a trailer and paint it 383 Camo?
I am in the same boat-no 5 tons, but I want a serious flatbed trailer to haul stuff. The only m-series trailer I've seen is MTO-20 EET that's linked below and it weighs more empty than the deuce is rated to tow.

Looking at Holden's site, they do make a smaller flatbed trailer, the MTO-16. Pics and specs here: http://www.holdentrailers.com/Military MTO16.pdf

It's an awesome trailer that's much more suited to the deuce, but it's still 6K lbs. empty (10K lb weight carrying capacity, 16K lb GVWR). If you're worried about staying within the deuce's rated capacity (for legal reasons) then the MTO016 loses some luster.

Also, I have never seen one anywhere, in use, for sale, etc. I suspect they are as rare as the MTO-20 and priced accordingly.

I have decided to buy a 20' deckover equipment trailer and paint it to match the deuce. You can buy nice, high quality deckovers for anywhere from $5-7K for new units (I just priced one for a job we're bidding and it was $6900, loaded with options, 16K gvwr, dual jacks, tongue mounted toolbox, 20' flatdeck, 4' dovetail, etc.). If you surf craigslist, you'll occasionally find good deals on used deckovers and less commonly, new trailers. I saw a new 20' deckover for $4500 a few months ago and the only reason I didn't buy it instantly as that I am waaay too tight on money.

This is the deckover I use, it's a friend's trailer. 16' flat, 4' dovetail. 14K lb GVWR and it weighs right at 4K lbs, so it has 10K lbs capacity. It has electric brakes (as pretty much every trailer in this range is going to) so if you want functioning brakes, you'll need to wire up a 12V trailer brake controller in your deuce (not difficult). I have the standard Curt 14082 hitch that everybody else uses. You can see some of the ways I've used it below and how it's hooked up to the truck. It is a fantastic match for the deuce-when it's empty, you can't tell it's back there and it pulls really well. Easy to see in the mirrors, long enough that it's easy to back up, etc. If it were 4' longer on the flat, I would have already stolen it from my buddy.

IMAG0056 [800x600].jpgIMAG0057 [800x600].jpgIMAG0058 [800x600].jpgIMAG0059 [800x600].jpgIMAG0060 [800x600].jpgIMAG0083 [800x600].jpgIMAG0084 [800x600].jpgIMAG0085 [800x600].jpgIMAG0086 [800x600].jpgIMAG0090 [800x600].jpg

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Also, couldn't fit these 2 in the last post:

IMAG1748800x600.jpgIMAG1749800x600.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks