• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flipped the black out switch... now no lights!

four_by_ken

So, I flipped the black out switch for the first time... lights went as I expected.

Problem.... they will not come back on! Fuses are all good.

Gunna have to trace wires.... I hate diagnosing wiring problems.

Any suggestions?

How about a wiring diagram that shows how the black out switch works?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to the top, click on resources, click on TMs. Search for TM 9-2320-289-20. Right click on that and save it to your computer. In the appendix section it will have all the wiring schematics you need. Sorry, can't help with the problem, I'm an idiot when it comes to CUCVs.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3-lever switch has a built-in thermal circuit breaker rated 20 amps. If there is a short in the BO light circuit, it will trip and remain off for a minute or so. This action will be repeated until the short is removed.

four_by_ken

Have you done something stupid lately that is so dumb you have to laugh at yourself?

Well... here is mine.

I am new to this truck... didnt know the blackout switch was a three way... or at least you have to give a little tug on it to get it back to the on position.

:p

All is good. No fuses blown or anything.

Maybe this thread will help someone else down the line.

hobie237

My buddy's truck has a problem with occasionally vibrating apart the connections behind the switch, resulting in no lights. Luckily, the CUCV wiring is pretty simple, and the switch is in a pretty accessible place, so all you have to do is follow the wires. Best case scenario is that one just came off the switch or whatever. Next easiest to diagnose would be to try bypassing the switch to see if it's bad. Then get into following the wires.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, the CUCV does not use the three lever light switch. It uses a combination of 2 toggle switches and the OEM headlight switch.

Hobie, the guy said he realized his problem was just operator error.(One more simple problem that reading the -10 TM would have resolved)

AJMBLAZER

First time I put the wife in the driver's seat I gave her a briefing on how to start the truck and stuff.

Then came the lights.

"Pull that switch out." (pointing at regular GM light switch)

She goes right for one of the black out switches and flips it.

"No, not that, pull the headlight switch!" (still pointing at the GM light switch that you PULL)

She flips the other black out switch.

Now there's no lights at all. Radio cut out, she's trying to ask me what's wrong and I'm hanging my head...

"Pull out the switch that I'M POINT AT AND THAT PULLS OUT and leave the other two ALONE!"

She pulls out the GM switch but nothing happens because the switch is flipped that cuts out all the lighting.

Her="this thing is confusing, I'm going inside."

:roll::roll::evil:

Took me several minutes to remember the switch routine and to get everything in the cab back in the right order. Then I had to coax her back out.:|

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wasn't trying to embarrass you FBK, many of us have had the same experience. I could see that happening right in my own driveway, too! :wink:

pbrstreetgang

Is it possible to bypass the BO light system as far as the turn signals. One time or another I will forgeet to activate it in the day time and have no signals.

GoHot229

I'm guessing I know what the blackout lights look like on the Deuce, the little shrowd'ed light on the driver front? But on the rear of the Deuce, on the taillight housings there are just the little clear lenses, what do the little inverted Y shapes mean? I suppose you could re-install them right side up, or upside down if you didnt know their proper orientation, I may have.when I put it back togather when replaceing bulbs ... moot.... but what is their orientation and meaning, or is there? Duh....I just havn't ever seen any reference to them or what their for??????