• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For anyone wanting more speed for your deuce

four_by_ken

I think something to keep in mind is that these gear sets were not made with deuce owners in mind.
They were made as a gearing option to those that are swapping 2.5tons into their vehicles.

Driver523

Scrap yards, old farm trucks like the old grain rigs and some old cement trucks---look for the old aux boxes Dana, Fuller, or Spicer---you can find them with 14% 17% even 26% over drive, and not only that but also with direct drive, under drive and a nutral I believe---Soooo when your running down the road with it in overdrive and you get somewhere you want or may have to use your front end you simply put your aux box in direct drive and your back to where all the original stuff is, and you can use your front end, regular low range, or anything else, these boxes are added on and don't replace your exesting transfer, then when your ready to hit the road unlock the front end put your aux box back in overdrive and get down the road---some of these boxes can be found pretty cheap and if you can weld and do or get just a little driveshaft work done your way ahead of the price deal, then theres the tranny out of the M-54 Mack I think its a 6453--its around a 25% overdrive from the stock multifuel tranny, I have never seen one put in a deuce but it should bolt up but the tranny tunnel may need some work, but if you have a 5 ton multifuel get yerself that M-54 Mack tranny--------------------Driver

Driver523

I just talked to Randy--Most you guys probably already know this but the 5 ton bell housing is a ton different from the deuce bellhousing so you'd have a bunch of fab work to get that 5 ton bellhousing in a deuce---but still if you got a 5 ton multi--get that 6453 tranny----you'll love it-------Driver

I think something to keep in mind is that these gear sets were not made with deuce owners in mind.
They were made as a gearing option to those that are swapping 2.5tons into their vehicles.
Actually that is not true. The origanol idea for these was for use by the companies that used the old ducks for doing tours. Same as the brake kit that he was mass producing for these companies a few years back.

jake1086

Scrap yards, old farm trucks like the old grain rigs and some old cement trucks---look for the old aux boxes Dana, Fuller, or Spicer---you can find them with 14% 17% even 26% over drive, and not only that but also with direct drive, under drive and a nutral I believe---Soooo when your running down the road with it in overdrive and you get somewhere you want or may have to use your front end you simply put your aux box in direct drive and your back to where all the original stuff is, and you can use your front end, regular low range, or anything else, these boxes are added on and don't replace your exesting transfer, then when your ready to hit the road unlock the front end put your aux box back in overdrive and get down the road---some of these boxes can be found pretty cheap and if you can weld and do or get just a little driveshaft work done your way ahead of the price deal, then theres the tranny out of the M-54 Mack I think its a 6453--its around a 25% overdrive from the stock multifuel tranny, I have never seen one put in a deuce but it should bolt up but the tranny tunnel may need some work, but if you have a 5 ton multifuel get yerself that M-54 Mack tranny--------------------Driver
couldnt a guy put one of those in front of the transfer case and then not have to worry about not having 4 wheel drive all the time?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
couldnt a guy put one of those in front of the transfer case and then not have to worry about not having 4 wheel drive all the time?
Not nearly enough room without moving the transfer waaaaaaaaaaay back.

jake1086

ah OK I've been wondering why everyone says putting them behind the T cast for quite a while. Is the Tcase exactly in the middle between the two axles?

TehTDK

When I get a deuce I wouldn't mind it running a bit faster but there is a easy solution to that :p.

Where I live trucks are legally required to be governed for 49 MPH, but is "allowed" to run as fast as 55-56. Judging from the inputs in this thread I would just have to keep the truck stock or close to it and be able to comply with government regulation even without a governor :p. I am however unsure whether a Deuce could sustain being run at 55-56 over a longer period of time.

jesusgatos

Fail to see how the intended application is relevant if the gear ratio is right, and the parts are well-made.

I just talked to Randy--Most you guys probably already know this but the 5 ton bell housing is a ton different from the deuce bellhousing so you'd have a bunch of fab work to get that 5 ton bellhousing in a deuce---but still if you got a 5 ton multi--get that 6453 tranny----you'll love it-------Driver
Did I miss the details on this transmission? Just put an LDS in my M109 and used the 2.5-ton bellhousing and transmission, but have the 5-ton multi bellhousing that came with the LDS. Only thing is that it looks like it's designed to tilt the engine to one side, as opposed to being mounted vertically?
Not nearly enough room without moving the transfer waaaaaaaaaaay back.
I don't know how long those aux. boxes are, but looks like we could move our transfer-cases back quite a ways without any real problems. Might have to trim the flange on the back of the cab for transfer-case clearance, and at some point driveshaft length is going to become an issue, but there might be enough room. Would guess we could move the transfer-case by at least a foot.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have never seen a different ratio from the factory in the 2.5ton rockwells.the a3 doesnt have od but it has 14.5 and a higher reving engine that give it the same top speed as the a2 not a different gear ratio.
the problem with these gear sets 4.90 and 5.41 are the deuce doesnt have enough hp or torque to push that kind of gear.they are so underpowered that when you hit od with those gears it would bog and go slower not faster......i need a gear set that is the other way .something like a 7.20 or so to help out with the 15.5s:roll:i guess i could go with the 3052 trans and a 4.90 gear set to get me where i need to be but for that cost i might as well get me a cxt or c6500 4x4 and i will have ac and power everything:-D

exactly right and many people miss this. the multifuel, even turned up only has so much power. with my .69 OD gear set you are running as close to that limit of power as i think you would want to be. my OD gives you a final drive ratio of 4.64, the 5.41 set gives you a final ratio of 4.21 with a stock trans. there just is not enough power and 4th and 5th would be almost unusable.

my agruement is that any tire size increase or any axle ratio change effects ALL the gears even reverse, while my OD set only changes 5th to about what it should have been if roads were as good 50 years ago and the truck wasn't meant to be primarly an off road vehicle. when you change tires and or axle ratio you can substancially reduce the off road capabilities. at only $1383, you could pay more for tires and wheels.

Last edited:

Dipstick

Tom,
Sounds like a 180 h.p. LDS and your OD 5th gear set would be perfect together for my Deuce. They sure do bog down in 4th and 5th with a 134 h.p. Whistler. I'm going to start saving up.
Owen

welldigger

Dip just install a pyrometer and turn your fuel up a bit and you will have near LDS power. And tom I believe your power steering kit is on my short list. I get the feeling 395s will be a hand full off road without it.

Dipstick

Dip just install a pyrometer and turn your fuel up a bit and you will have near LDS power. And tom I believe your power steering kit is on my short list. I get the feeling 395s will be a hand full off road without it.[/QUOTE

digger,
I know there's a thread on turning up the pump and pyrometers. I'll check it out. I've also read that there is a model of multi-fuel turbo you can bolt in that gives a 15% increase in power. I put 45 miles on my truck this weekend and Tom's hydraulic power steering is great even on the highway at 50mph. I highly recommend it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks