• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Foreign Objects in oil pan (see pic) NEED HELP

Breach27

Hey guys, I need some help. I went to change the oil on my new duece and found three mangled springs, a small metal tube, and at least two gallons of diesel fuel in the oil. Anybody got any ideas. Just bought it and was checking it out before I took to the road.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tube - oil squirter
spring - oil seal spring (looks like there's some seal rubber there too)
Diesel fuel - Non bypassed FDC.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the first pic, one item looks like a quarter! I'd drop the oil pan and hope you hit the jackpot!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
replacing the 'squirter' involves dropping the pan, finding which cylinder it broke off from (and why), replacing it, and maybe fixing some other things while the bottom is exposed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am betting if an oil squirter has been knocked out, that is a piston ring.
I think Gimpy may be right. That spring looks like the spring inside a oil ring. I'd drop the pan and look real good at everything before I ran it any more.

Breach27

Ok, got the FDC blocked off and changed oil and filters. Buddy of mine dropped the pan and checked everything out. Can't figure out what broke the squirter off. We buttoned it up and gonna make sure the FDC was the problem. My mechanic helping me said not to worry about then portion of the squirter broke off. He said he wold be worried if the trucked worked ecery day loaded, but said it would be fine. Does anyone see any future problems coming from not replacing the squirter?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to replace the squirter. That cylinder will run hotter than the others and the oil helps to make the piston expand more evenly when it warms up. You'll more than likely have piston problems in the cylinder over the long run.

You also haven't found out where the spring came from. You need that spring wherever it came from. If it's a oil ring (which I suspect), you've probably got cylinder and/or piston damage and that hole will burn oil like crazy.

There's no way I'd run that engine without getting a good look at the cylinder the squirter broke off of. I had a truck that the piston and cylinder broke apart. It ruined much more than just that cylinder.

Breach27

Thanks M16ty, I will have him pull the pan and replace the squirter. I though that might be the case, but wanted me ducks in a row before I speak to my buddy. I figured it was there for a reason. When you say oil seal, which one do you mean. I can handle alot of stuff on the truck, just not the motor issues.

Seth_O

Keep a close eye on your diesel content in the oil. I pulled several gallons of diesel out of my oilpan and it all came from the hydraulic head.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks M16ty, I will have him pull the pan and replace the squirter. I though that might be the case, but wanted me ducks in a row before I speak to my buddy. I figured it was there for a reason. When you say oil seal, which one do you mean. I can handle alot of stuff on the truck, just not the motor issues.
I'm talking about the piston oil ring. Here are some pics. These are not deuce rings or pistons but you get the picture.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks