• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front differential issues!

Redneck92

Hello guys,

Today I drove my fist time In 4WD mode and noticed directly something strage.

While driving in 4WD it felt like the front axle is destorying itself.

I stopped and turned the hubs on free position and drove home in my garage.
I jumped underneath the truck and starting looking at the front driveshaft and axle.

I noticed when turning the drive shaft with hubs in free position and 2wd engaged that something is grinding and hammering inside the differential.

Sometimes it comes to a dead stop and I need to reverse the turning direction.
After a few rotations the noise and the grinding is gone.

The noise and this blocking action also occours while driving in 4WD.

I made a video of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ecjIlNKUY

Does somebody have any clues?

Greetings Redneck92

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have seen this before. I had an M1028 that the side pinion bearings went out in the differntail. And it completely destroyed the gears and center carrier. I would suggest you get the front cover off and take a look see inside at what is going on. It could be any number of things . But all of them are not good. These are NOT inexpensive differentials to repair by any means. Good luck and have a nice day.

Chaski

The video link does not want to work on my mobile device. At least your M1009 has an inexpensive front axle. You should be able to pull the cover off and see what has happened. Those 10 bolt axles are pretty weak.

Redneck92

Did not come to open the diff today.

IT IS NOT THE SOUND FROM MY OTHER THREAD :-D

Since I bought the Truck from a dealer and it is just 5 days into my property, I still have a one year warranty on everything that runs in oil. My dealer will provide me with free spare parts.

Just wanted to know if anyone had this problem at any time before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks