• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Heater leak - help

HeadWizard

Yes, I searched the forum with no luck. Wiki no help. So I'm asking the SS experts.

I've got a fuel leak coming from the top of the fuel filter housing on my M1009. -34P Parts manual shows the offending part as "Heater Assembly, Fuel". The part with the 2 wires coming out of it in the picture (yes, I stole the pic from another post). It's coming from between the filter base and the "heater", not from the heater internally.

1- How does this heater come out? pull it? screw it?
2- Anyone else had this problem?
3- Yes, I verified this was where the leak was.
4- Yes, I checked and actually replaced the broken screw in plug immediately next to the heater. Got it from the Chevy dealer. Cost more than a filter element :evil:

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

ida34

I think you need the whole filter base. If I remember correctly they go bad often and need replacement. I may be wrong and someone else that has had it apart can chime in.

jvlmed

I just replaced the whole unit about 3 months ago (mine was leaking from the pressure switch). Go to www.oem-surplus.com, select chevrolet and scroll down. You will come across the whole unit including a new filter for 49.95. A great deal:-D. Their part # is 12471725.

jvlmed

I just remembered the new unit is not drilled out for the pressure switch ( which I have read is not needed for civilian use). I understand this was for diagnostic testing in the military. I have had no issues since replacement.

HeadWizard

I pulled the heater out and tried several o-rings to seal it up with no luck. Makes no sense. Am just going to order a new one. Thanks for the help.

ida34

I just replaced the whole unit about 3 months ago (mine was leaking from the pressure switch). Go to www.oem-surplus.com, select chevrolet and scroll down. You will come across the whole unit including a new filter for 49.95. A great deal:-D. Their part # is 12471725.
That is a good price. The pressure switch is for diagnostic use only. You can go without it unless you want to keep it "stock" or plan to use a STE ICE to work on it.