• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Injector Issue-LDT 465

Will these nozzles work on the other injectors?
What was the result of your setting them to 3500 psi?
They are so cheap that I bought a set to try. I set them at 3000 lb and they shoot two straight streams like the originals. So I bought 24 more for backups. I must admit I don't trust my used gauge.

Last edited:

brianp454

I don't know if these nozzles will work with all of the types of multifuel injectors out there. I don't think any more are available right now, it looks like between two Oregon guys - flatdog555 and mobileauto2000 - they picked all of them up. Perhaps they will have more later or be willing to sell a set if you PM them.

I think the only way sort out how the different pop points affect operation is to do a side-by-side test. I doubt there is much of a difference. Looking at the TM info, it seems to suggest a higher pop point so that it creeps down as they wear. Perhaps they just last longer because they have further to creep down as they wear?

With 24 extras I doubt you ever want for any more...

It looks like we'll get to meet the 19th or 20th so we'll have plenty to chat about.

They are so cheap that I bought a set to try. I set them at 2800 lb and they shoot two straight streams like the originals. So I bought 24 more for backups.

brianp454

Earlier in the thread (post #3) I provide some info on this. The local injector shop will rebuild them for ~$25 each if the tips can be repaired or replace with your tips. That is a a very reasonable price and make it not worth the effort to mess with them yourself. They also come back super clean and stripped of all paint, new copper washer\seals, etc. If you send the guys with extras a PM I bed they'd be willing to part with them for a reasonable price.

You bought all of them lol. I just got 4 for $43 on the auction site. Trying to find out if I can rebuild and test these at home

You bought all of them lol. I just got 4 for $43 on the auction site. Trying to find out if I can rebuild and test these at home
maybe. My tips get coked up from running only used oil. I find that after soaking then in carb dip and rinsing with brake clean 5 out of six work good with no dribbles. Have never tried to lap a dripping one as I have always had spare injectors. And now tips.
I bought one injector line and a used 3000 lb gauge. Using my box of various brass fittings I plumed them together and use my porta power pump for pressure. Works good.
I might add the new tips don't scream like the old one. I use atf in the pump not diesel. But the old tips screamed with atf. I mainly watch for drips as that and the coking are the main issues I have.

Well at least until that spring came out of the oil drain plug. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?109887-Change-my-oil-and-this-came-out-the-drain-plug

Ford Mechanic

Ever find out what the cause of the popping sound was, or the solution to your issues???? I'm having similar issues including popping sounds coming from the exaust/intake(at idle and under load) and elevated EGT's. Turbo output already tested ok, I'll try the other suggestions posted previously and see if I find a answer otherwise. The TM doesn't exactly have a high EGT symptom and I have yet to check for the popping in the TM, as I wasn't sure if it was normal running sounds or not untill I found this thread.

brianp454

I you are asking me, I bypassed my FDC and did not tweak the IP afterwards. Now it runs like the raped ape running circules around the scalded dog. I find that my EGT's are actually a little lower under typical circumstances. They can jump up, but I only see this in 5th runnign up grades or when it is cold. My truck likes to be warmed up and seems to run better if it was ran earlier in the day (may just be me).

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having some rough idle issues with my LDT-465 as discussed earlier in this thread. I have another set of injectors I thought about swapping in to see how they perform. Pop testing injectors to make sure they are all set the exact same and do not have another other issues is a bug part in these engines running well. I was working on my other deuce this weekend and that one runs nice and smooth while my M35A2 does not idle as good and "hunts" a little while it idles. All my filters are clean and I suspect the injectors may not be up to par. I would like to work on these injectors myself instead of taking them to a diesel shop. I guess Im the kind of guy that likes to learn more about these trucks and takes pride in doing my own work. So I may swap in those other injectors to see if it acts any different. I would like to have one set cleaned and pop tested though. So, i have some questions. Is a pop tester tool expensive and if not, what is a good brand to get? I saw some on Ebay for a buy it now price and not sure if that is a good way to go. I think it was about $150 for the pressure tester. If it was $25 to rebuild each injector, I could just buy the pop tester and do them myself. What do you guys think?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an other thought: I use WMO for fuel and my truck likes to warm up before I take off with it... I think it helps the injectors stay cleaner. I could check to make sure my 2 hole injectors do not have one hole plugged or what not when I pull them out. Even if i saw one hole plugged up, I would like to pop test them. I would rather just have them out once and do the job right the first time. I am nervous about taking them to a shop to do because I want to make sure I understand how to work on them. Plus if I bought a pop tester, I could also check my other set of injectors to see how they act.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a tester. I had to rig up an adapter to get it so I could hook up a multifuel injector. Just something to plan on if you buy one.

Ford Mechanic

I am having some rough idle issues with my LDT-465 as discussed earlier in this thread. I have another set of injectors I thought about swapping in to see how they perform. Pop testing injectors to make sure they are all set the exact same and do not have another other issues is a bug part in these engines running well. I was working on my other deuce this weekend and that one runs nice and smooth while my M35A2 does not idle as good and "hunts" a little while it idles. All my filters are clean and I suspect the injectors may not be up to par. I would like to work on these injectors myself instead of taking them to a diesel shop. I guess Im the kind of guy that likes to learn more about these trucks and takes pride in doing my own work. So I may swap in those other injectors to see if it acts any different. I would like to have one set cleaned and pop tested though. So, i have some questions. Is a pop tester tool expensive and if not, what is a good brand to get? I saw some on Ebay for a buy it now price and not sure if that is a good way to go. I think it was about $150 for the pressure tester. If it was $25 to rebuild each injector, I could just buy the pop tester and do them myself. What do you guys think?
Check out this thread that I did on rebuilding the fuel injectors! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...on-testing&highlight=fuel+injector+rebuilding

I had axcess to the tools and found the hardest part was finding shims to reset them with. Made a BIG difference in running, EGT, and power.

merlot566jka

I built my own tester for $28.

google "bottle jack injector tester"

i bought my my nozzles for $7 each on eBay.

my videos of testing the injectors are on YouTube "merlot566jka"

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I did a bunch of stuff to the truck tonight. I wouldn't say i was shotgunning the problem by changing a bunch of stuff, but it went OK. I changed the two O-rings on my hydraulic head and swapped the injectors out for another set I had. Now the set I swapped in were not known to be good per say, but working, yes. I had them originally in my truck when I got it and it acted a little weird, so that is when I put a set of newer injectors in it. So the injectors that went in tonight were my original ones. When I pulled the injectors out, i noticed the crispy carbon in the cylinder like the other gentleman on here had ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...age2&highlight=injector+line+fitting+pressure Post #17). I used a gun cleaning brush and knocked them out and cleaned them up. So it seemed to idle ok but when I put the stop rod back on, the two screws that hold it on were making it bind up and caused the throttle to act sticky. Previous experience has told me that it is from the wrong o-ring (too thick) on the shut off shaft. On my other truck, I bought a complete HH gasket / o-ring kit from Kublo's that had the correct o-ring in it. after that, it went together great. So I need to locate the correct o-ring for that. If somebody wants to chime in with the correct o-ring part number or where to get it, that would be good. I will research it after I post this. I am sure it has been covered before, but I just have to find it. Soon as I get the o-ring fixed, I will be able to better see if these injectors I swapped in work better than the previous set.

I am going to borrow a pop tester tomorrow and am going to see how the injectors I took out tonight perform. I will keep you updated how they check out.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a post where a gentleman said the o-ring is a size " -013 " for the fuel control stop shaft.

Edit: I installed the -013 o-ring today for my throttle stop shaft on the injection pump and it is not the correct one. it does work, but when i tighten down the "c shaped clamp" with the two screws, it makes the shaft stick. I have had this experience before with these. I may buy the injection pump gasket kit because that has the correct o-ring. Then I will measure the o-ring and report back.

Last edited: