• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump keeps failing..

Klingerson

2 months ago had the fuel pump fail on the M1165. I replaced it with the proper fuel pump, changed fuel filter. There was 1/8-1/4in of sediment in the bottom of the fuel water separator, but the screen was near perfect. When I changed the fuel pump it looked beat up from the push rod and I could depress it easily with my thumb. I fixed this and worked it perfectly.

I drive this truck almost daily and she has more power and no signs of problems, until this morning. It sputtered and surged (no crazy noises) then right as I found a safe place to park, she died. It was low on fuel so I assumed this was the issue. Added some diesel. I bleed the air out of the filter and she started right up, then made terrible noise, loud clanking that's worse with revving the motor. I killed it immediately. My wife gave me a look like $#%@~! Plan B trucks. I'll be taking the fuel pump off this weekend.

I'm a mechanical YouTube idiot, not a mechanic. I'm posting this with anticipation of failure, while its fresh on my mind. Please fill me in on anything I'm overlooking.

Hx on truck: overheated and fan clutch repair 3 months ago, fuel pump, dirty filter.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Video, please.
Maybe you did run out of fuel and now an injector is unhappy.
Not likely a lift pump problem.

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes they sound bad as the air works out of the system, as stated above not a lift pump.
I would give it another try.
Have your phone handy for vids.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ohh Dear, that topic follows me me ;-)

You sayed at the time you changed your lift pump you had to clean the filter too. And there was water and debree in it.
That let me assume that all this water and debree must be came out of the tank ;-)
And now you was running low on fuel, maybe you cleand your tank now into the filter.

Checking the function of the lift pump is (imho) easy.
Crank the engine and open the outlet port of your fuel filter. Or the water drain tap.
The Diesel must be bubbling out of it.
If not, your lift pump is failing again.

When I changed the fuel pump it looked beat up from the push rod and I could depress it easily with my thumb. I fixed this and worked it perfectly.
This may be due to the fact that English is not my native language, but here I do not understand you.
There is nothing that you can quickly press with your thumb for a repair?

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I simply chose the injector that was easiest for me to reach. And I think that's cylinder no. 4.
And yes, I only opened one.