• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Full floating axle question

Zero_cool

I have a question about my m1028 rear axle..my rear passanger tire moves in an out.when i jack the rear end up and push the tire it slides in about a 1/8 inchI looked under and the drum is moving with the tire...(lugs are tight ) my rear driver side tire does not do this...would this be a bad bearing or is that what a floating axle does?

91W350

Learn to read Glen... sheesh.. No, that is not normal. When you jack it up, can you rock the tire and wheel as well? It should sit tight against the wheel bearings, unless somebody swapped in M1009 axles.

Last edited:

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should not have 1/8 of movement at the wheel. Sounds like the bearing adjusting nut is loose. Pull the axle shaft and check the bearing adjustment. Should be snug not tight.

Frank

Zero_cool

well i pulled the axle and the end nut was infact loose so i tightened it up put everything together and took it for a spin...seams to run ok but i notice that when i am coming to a stop it clanks...since i just did the 700r4 upgrade i thought it might have something to do with that or slop in the drive shaft,so i put it in nutrule when i am coming to a stop and right before it comes to a complete stop it clunk,i also notice that when i turn a corner i can hear this really loud clanking in the rear end and my truck kinda jumps a little bit. This is my first truck with detroit lockers so i dont know if this is normal.

91W350

The Detroit can be rough and some are much rougher than others. You will learn to wait until the truck is getting straight before accelerating. Based on the four I have owned or driven a lot, the worst is backing to the right, then taking off forward to the left. Sometimes I wonder if it is broken, but it always works. Check to make sure your rear tires are close to equal in height and air pressure. I do not remember a lot of noises while stopping, normally come while accelerating in a curve or after backing. Sometimes a quick coast and on the fuel again will give you a nice drive shaft ringing clang. Glen

Zero_cool

Thanks Glen I checked the tires are eaqual hight and psi. I pulled the cover plate and found metal shavings and chunks on the magnet, i thought metal shavings is bad but the guy at the auto store said its normal? ( what kind of gearoil and additive do i put in the 14 corporate?)

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To have that wheel bearing that loose, I'm surprised that the seal wasn't leaking. Was there adequate lube/grease in there for the bearings, when you re tightened the bearing?

Zero_cool

bushhawg73 how much gear oil should i put in I would check the manuals but they are down.do you use additive for the locker is so what kind
rosco yes i cleaned it all up and added new bearing grease. the seal looks brand new

idM1028

This says 5.4 pints which = 2.7 quarts.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup/
Haynes manual for the same year Chevy truck says diff oil is SAE 80W or SAE 80W-90 GL-5 gear lubricant.
IMHO 2.7 quarts seems a little low to me. I would just pump in the new oil until it starts to dribble out the fill hole and throw the plug on quick-like. If I recall correctly from my last truck, 80 weight is a little on the heavy side so the auto parts stores might not have it. One store told me to try looking at someplace like Tractor Supply for it.

bushhawg73

I would just fill with oil until it starts running out the fill plug. Run it for a few days and recheck the level. No additive needed for the locker as far as I know. You should have no problem finding 80 - 90 weight gear oil at most auto parts stores.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks