• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuse panel replacement?

prairie

My M1008's fuse block seems to be shot. Fuses are loose, lights work on and off or not at all, and things look like they have been hot a few times behind the fuse panel. I have cleaned, lubed, and tightened connections, which have only proven to be a short lived repairs. I have searched this forum several times for help, and have decided my next step is to replace the fuse block.
From what I have gleaned from this forum, my options are as follows.

A) Bypass and eliminate the fuse block for only the problem fuses, by splicing in an inline fuse.

B) Used Fuse Panel: Will any fuse panel from that era GM pickup be a "drop-in" replacement, or are there differences between civilian/CUCV or gas/diesel?

C) Universal Fuse Block like one of these
12 circuit Painless Wiring 30001 - Painless Performance Universal Fuse Blocks - Overview - SummitRacing.com
18 circuit Painless Wiring 30003 - Painless Performance Universal Fuse Blocks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I am leaning towards the new Universal 18 circuit fuse block, as it would probably make adding lights, radio, power port, etc. easier.

Any suggestions or anything I've missed?

dstang97

I got something like snap ring pliers and clamped down on the fuses. This worked great for everything except for the headlight fuse. I ended up taking out the soldering gun and put a nice blob on each terminal. Then I sanded it down so it was only a little thicker than the blades and have not had a problem since.

edpdx

I hate messing with the OEM fuse block. Greasy junk inside gums all the connectors up- it's kind of like working around Butyl. I think I would look for either another identical box by the stamped on part number- probably in the TM "P" manual. OR get one from a Blazer or Pick-up if they are close- you will probably end up with a dedicated ACC input that the current truck may not have. A civvy truck will probably have a few extra slots that you can dedicate to whatever- just besure to draw a PIN-OUT and stick it into your TM or Shop manual for future reference- especially useful to the , dare-I-say-it, next owner.

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

My M1008's fuse block seems to be shot. Fuses are loose, lights work on and off or not at all, and things look like they have been hot a few times behind the fuse panel. I have cleaned, lubed, and tightened connections, which have only proven to be a short lived repairs. I have searched this forum several times for help, and have decided my next step is to replace the fuse block.
From what I have gleaned from this forum, my options are as follows.

A) Bypass and eliminate the fuse block for only the problem fuses, by splicing in an inline fuse.

B) Used Fuse Panel: Will any fuse panel from that era GM pickup be a "drop-in" replacement, or are there differences between civilian/CUCV or gas/diesel?

C) Universal Fuse Block like one of these
12 circuit Painless Wiring 30001 - Painless Performance Universal Fuse Blocks - Overview - SummitRacing.com
18 circuit Painless Wiring 30003 - Painless Performance Universal Fuse Blocks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I am leaning towards the new Universal 18 circuit fuse block, as it would probably make adding lights, radio, power port, etc. easier.

Any suggestions or anything I've missed?
If you decide to go with a used I have a couple panels w/partial harness from 1009. PM me if interested and in need of more info. TX's

Disciple

Don't mean to hijack here, but I've been interested in this as well. I've had issues with my headlight fuse, had to supply new 12v+ to it with an inline fuse. It got me thinking though. I'm really interested in sealing this baby up tight electrically and adding a snorkel then re-routing all of the breathers, etc. If it's possible to relocate a new fuse panel, say, in a sealed yet still accessible location higher up somewhere under the hood, that would be fantastic!

Anyone ever attempted something like this? I'm very handy with vehicle electrical systems.

J872

I am hoping to restart this thread. I need to replace the fuse block on the engine side and the interior side. The truck I bought has both sides melted plus the wiring harness has wires fried. Is there somewhere I can buy a replacement for the fuse blocks or wiring harnesses. Any help would be appreciated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact Hawkman or HillbillyWizard. They usaully have used parts available.