• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gettin my deuce

kx250m1

just a couple quick easy questions,
what type and weight of oil do I need for:
transmission
transfer case
axles,

and will regular brakefluid work just to fill the master cylinder if it happens to be a little low, I think it would be fine, I just want to make sure

hopefully everything is full, I just want to have the oil and supplies with in case something is low, I looked at this truck while bidding, but did not check all fluid levels, but there were no noticeable leaks, and brakes had good pressure, also I am picking this up this thursday at Fort McCoy WI, and planning on driving it home to southeast WI, and hoping for no problems

Attachments

kx250m1

I have read that post, but what I am looking for is what type of oil to get for axles transmission and transfer case, from a local store, and an opinion on dot 3 mixing with dot 5, if it is low, thanks though

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT 3 does not mix with DOT 5, and your brakes will fail if you do. The deuce should have DOT 5 in them. NAPA and most auto parts stores carry DOT 5, but it is expensive. Spruce Mountain Surplus has gallons for $40, which is a great deal compared to the auto parts stores. I think there is also a classified ad on Steel Soldiers for $15 a gallon, plus $10 shipping, on the USGI surplus DOT 5.

The lube for the tranny, transfer and axles should be standard 80-90W gear oil, available cheaply at any local parts outlet.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just made a pickup and went to Autozone and got whatever they had in a GL5 with MT1 rating AND all the bottles of DOT-5 brake fluid they had.

I do not think I would be mixing the two types of brake fluid though.

jimm1009

Be careful that you don't purchased DOT 5.1. It is NOT the same or compatible with DOT 5 fluid. DOT 5 is silicone and 5.1 is not.
Just a thought.
Jim